Existence of a 1965 silver dime

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe it is one of those really rare mint errors where they accidentally struck a few 1965s on left over silver planchets but I believe it is really rare. I am not sure how many there supposedly are but it is one of those things where there can hardly be more than 10 or so authentic ones. You can google this and you will find results but like I said they are very rare.

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any time there is a change

in the planchet they are minting, there is always a possibility that the wrong blanks are fed back into the hopper. There was a chance in 65 for dimes and quarters being stuck on 90% silver blanks. There was a chance for 71 and 77 halves being struck on 40% silver blanks.

The philly mint also strikes foreign coins for a few countries. Just recently I found a mississippi quarter struck that has no clad line visible. I though at first I found a silver proof but it was not silver. I took it to a coin show last week and it is speculated that a foreign blank found its way into a quarter hopper.
It is currently being sent off for authentication and grading, when I get it back I will post pics of it.
So in short yes it can and it does happen. It is very rare as in the 1943 copper penny or the rarer 1944 steel penny. Remember people are human and mistakes will happen. You just have to find them. Good Luck.

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
Re: Any time there is a change

Gareb said:
The philly mint also strikes foreign coins for a few countries. Just recently I found a mississippi quarter struck that has no clad line visible. I though at first I found a silver proof but it was not silver. I took it to a coin show last week and it is speculated that a foreign blank found its way into a quarter hopper.
It is currently being sent off for authentication and grading, when I get it back I will post pics of it.

I came across with a Indiana State quarter with no clad line visible as well. Are you saying it's a error coin?

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Any time there is a change

cbrtriple8 said:
Gareb said:

I came across with a Indiana State quarter with no clad line visible as well. Are you saying it's a error coin?

I am not saying it, that was what was told to me by 2 different dealers at the coin show. The coin weighed more than it should and had no clad visible. Since it was philly struck and not san francisco, it was not a silver planchet. It was sent to ANA for research to find out which coin planchet was used, authentication, and grading. One dealer said it was incredibly rare the other said it was more of a novelty piece.
Basically as it looks almost identical to a regular quarter, so it has no "wow" factor. It is definitely an error but not worth as much as say a quarter struck on a nickel planchet or a half struck on a quarter planchet. With the ceritification it is worth more than a regular quarter but it is worth as most things, only as much as some one is willing to pay for it. I will get it back next month and will post more about it then.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I found a book like this one and picked it up at borders before they closed along with a coin red book for 2011- I recall them saying, yep! it might have happened ...a few are in the wild. so be on the look out for them. same with 90% halves in 1965, 77 79 they had some mint mistakes with Ike coins too. it might be worth getting the book as some people on e-bay have made up to $500 on mistake state quarters like that one with the extra corn ear leaf. the guy found it in circulation, got it slabbed and sold it on fee-bay.

http://coins.about.com/od/errorcoinsdievarieties/fr/strike_it_rich.htm

if you find a 1965 and it looks silver. it might be a mistake coin and worth some big cash- I recall up to about $1500 was said in the book. so if you see a silver edge and it's worth not discounting the coin because you know they didn't have a 1965 silver dime...you never know what you'll find until you look. if the edge looks solid silver it's likely a silver.

(but I'll be the first to say I've never seen one or seen them online some place for sale - so I'm going to check feebay and post back in a min..

ok this is interesting..
http://www.blifaloo.com/info/rare_coins.php

http://www.cointalk.com/t112590/
someone found a 1965 silver quarter-

I hope someday to find one....but I'm not holding my breath on this one! :P

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Most of us have run into state quarters with silver edges.

They are plated.

Keep on Rollin' !

brennan

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a sister TreasureNet thread site "coins" it is being tossed around that some 1965 silver dimes exist, and that a few guys swear that they have 'One'. Is this for real, and should we be watching for them while CRH'g ???? Your comments.

that made my day i have 1 i just found in a bag of change from a few years ago. so happy. :)

brennan

Tenderfoot
Jun 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i fig out how i mite i am new i am still fiteling whith the site

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything is possible at the mints. My step father has a few 1965, 90% silver Kennedy Halfs. Are they worth anything??? I have been told that 1965 silver dimes and quarters do exist, so be on the look out. HH all...

The Colonel

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Anything is possible at the mints. My step father has a few 1965, 90% silver Kennedy Halfs. Are they worth anything??? I have been told that 1965 silver dimes and quarters do exist, so be on the look out. HH all...

The Colonel

A lot. Similar to the 1965 dime and quarter in 90% silver.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I would assume it would be a rarity like the 43 copper or 44 steel, or a 83 copper.

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think with so many edge hunters doing dimes if a '65 were found someone would have made a very big deal out of it. I've found a few '65s I thought were silver at first but upon second glance they didn't have that luster, the correct sound, and I took a file to the edge ( I know) and a through a loop I could see the tiny luster of freshly scraped copper through the nic I made.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy III

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

It could be. If they used a blank from the Silver proof coins made that year, it is entirely possible. It would be a wrong blank error, and very rare. I think they only made the silver coins in San Francisco (S mint mark).

BoredBankTeller

Jun 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There have definitely been a few 1965 quarters and dimes that I came across where I was almost certain they were silver, but of course I talked myself out of that thinking I was crazy. Now I'm wondering how many rare silver coins I let slip through my fingers :censored:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread