OK, now Im hooked on this forum! Just a couple of questions...

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, now I'm hooked on this forum! Just a couple of questions...

1) What do most of you do with the silver halves you've collected - especially the 40%? (I've already decided on the 90% - I'll either sell them individually or in small lots or hold on to them until silver is at $100 per ounce. ::) )

2) How about the pennies? Can we take the pre-1982 coins to the scrap dealer and expect him to pay us more than face value?

Just for grins, and prompted by some of your stories, I tried $25 worth of pennies. I got 400 pre-1982 and 7 wheats, the oldest of which was 1918. The wheats I guess to be worth more for collectors than scrap copper, but are we all waiting for a certain price to sell our copper pennies?

Still trying to learn.

Phillip

Upvote 0

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Re: OK, now I'm hooked on this forum! Just a couple of questions...

Phillip, people buy and collect coins with silver in them not only for the silver value, but for artistic value, historical value, rarity and other reasons. When the price of silver goes up it is one factor in determining value. People usually don't melt down silver coins for their silver value unless the coin is so damaged that the other factors don't apply. I have a feeling that there is going to be a similar situation with copper pennies, but it probably won't happen big until after the penny is phased out. If the penny is phased out, the zinc pennies will eventually self destruct. Sometime after that the value of the copper penny will increase more, compounded by increases in the price of copper.

OP
OP
Phillip_in_NM

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that was the case. I know others here might feel like I do. These "hard-won" silver halves are my 'treasures'. Which brings me to my next question - should I polish them up to look pretty, or leave them as they are?

As far as the pennies, I'd just be into them for the money (which would allow me to hunt more halves!!!)

My 1-year total for silver halves is now 981 40% and 135 90%.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505

Phillip, don't polish coins. If you clean them just use soap and water. There are some collectors that actually like the natural tarnish and such on circulated coins. YMMV

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wouldn't be afraid to polish your silver kennedys. They are common and not worth anything more than their scrap value for the most part.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread