Mr. Ryedale is in...now what?

HoosierDaddy

Greenie
Nov 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
The family purchased a Ryedale for me recently and after set-up, I've already burned 1k of pennies through it. While it is AWESOME, I have a gazillion zincolns now. Would other Ryedale users advise me on how to best flush these things? I am not going to roll the crazy things and I don't want to become "The Penny Man" at the banks in which I utilize their counters. I'm willing to withstand the expected smart-alek responses for one or two good ones. :laughing7:
Thanks in advance!!
HoosierDaddy

Upvote 0
F

Farchaus2k

You don't want to re-roll them, and you don't want to use coin counters. How else do you plan on getting rid of them????

As a fellow copper hoarder, I advise you dump as you go into as many coin counters as you can. Get some strong canvas bags, fill them up, take them in and dump away. Spread out your dumps over as many banks as you can.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
If i had a buyer for the coins(without doing the ebay route) I would find a way to dump all the zincolns in the world. Until I can find a buyer, no ryedale for me.

For those that want to stash now for a later date, they do look pretty darn sweet.

cbrtriple8

Aug 11, 2011
HoosierDaddy said:
The family purchased a Ryedale for me recently and after set-up, I've already burned 1k of pennies through it. While it is AWESOME, I have a gazillion zincolns now. Would other Ryedale users advise me on how to best flush these things? I am not going to roll the crazy things and I don't want to become "The Penny Man" at the banks in which I utilize their counters. I'm willing to withstand the expected smart-alek responses for one or two good ones. :laughing7:
Thanks in advance!!
HoosierDaddy

Does it mean that you are going to stop hunting for Ag here in Indy? :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Call ahead to a distant branch of your planned dump bank. Explain that you have amassed a lot of coins and would like to make special arrangements with them to make sure you don't overload them when they aren't expecting it. Go when it is best for them and dump everything you have. Then, don't go back there for like 3mo or more. They won't forget you in that amount of time, but they'll have time to unwind.

Then, dump as you go and don't get behind again. Open free accounts at two other banks with a lot of branches in your area. Set up a route and rotate through.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can make smaller dumps in Coinstar machines and choose the free giftcard option. You probably won't want to do all of them that way. But if you have a big purchase to make at someplace like Lowes for example, you could easily pay for it using zincolns. I dumped about $200 last week at two different Coinstar machines and took gift cards to Amazon and Lowes in exchange. Of course, I needed those gift cards anyway. The rest you will have to dump the old fashioned way.

If Coinstar would only offer gift certificates to places I need to shop every week then I'd be set. But alas, they don't... :'(

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Being known as the penny man is not a bad thing. :-) I have actually gotten two great calls from banks BECAUSE I am the local penny man. One for a person who brought in $5.00 (10 rolls) of pure wheats to my pick up bank. They (Wells fargo) called me, saved them for me, and sold them to me for face value. That was sweet. And it was a pick up bank, not the dump bank. Second call was from my dump bank. I dump pennies in the bank, and they have four bags for pennies on their machine. I sometimes fill the fourth bag (depending on whether 2 were full before i got there or not) and most of the time do not. But I dump a lot of pennies there. They called me to say a woman just dumped pennies and they were ALL OLD. I went in and bought the bag (the ONLY time I have bought the bag. Other than that, the bag is no different than the boxes I get, so I don't try to double dip at the dump bank) It turned out to be 93% copper, and the 7% that was not was all on the bottom, before she started putting hers in. heres were 100% copper,mostly from the mid 70s. So the dump bank not only is OKAY with me dumping pennies, they even thought of me when someone came in with old coins!

My point is to NOT be afriad of that. Although I think I am a bother to the bank by dumping all the pennies I do, in reality they are fine with it and they LIKE me. Every single person in that bankknows me by name, and waves and smiles when i come in. And once in a while I take the $125 - $150 I dump in pennies and DEPOSIT them into an account i have there, instead of always doing cash. PLus, this bank has 5 branches near me. If I have a lot to dump, I spread it out amongst the branches. Although check this out. Once I was dumping at my main branch, and told them about the machine doing something wrong at one of the other branches. She POUTED. Pouted because I WENT to another branch. She said she would GLADLY take ALL I can bring in, and that she didn't WANT me going to other branches to do my dumps. HA! I still DO go to other branches, just to spread it out at times, but I don't worry if I dump $150 twice in a week at her branch (WHich is about all I dump per week anyway right now. I only do about 10 - 15 boxes per week lately. If it is more, that's when I use the other branches) Using more than one branch though is good in that they ALL get to know me too. In case there are other times they want to call "the penny man" for something special. :-)

I've also been called on halves, 70 rolls of silver dimes, Ikes, and 2 rolls of silver quarters from branches of (pick up) banks before. Yes, being known as the guy who collects coins can be a GOOD thing.

So don't fret. Dump at the coin cointers. Get known as the guy for pennies (And other coins.) You'll be surprised that if you are a good natured guy and talk to the tellers how it will be a positive thing. :icon_thumleft:

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use coinlok bags and weigh them

zincolns are 181 per pound, you might be off a little here and there, but thats what I do when I run pennies. Depends on what kind of volume you plan on doing, but if you have coin machines they are a good option for pennies as well.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
mts said:
You can make smaller dumps in Coinstar machines and choose the free giftcard option. You probably won't want to do all of them that way. But if you have a big purchase to make at someplace like Lowes for example, you could easily pay for it using zincolns. I dumped about $200 last week at two different Coinstar machines and took gift cards to Amazon and Lowes in exchange. Of course, I needed those gift cards anyway. The rest you will have to dump the old fashioned way.

If Coinstar would only offer gift certificates to places I need to shop every week then I'd be set. But alas, they don't... :'(

I also use Coinstar whenever I know I will shop Amazon, Lowes, ToysRus, JCPenney, etc. Here are the fee-free options for Coinstar:
(if only there was a Kroger or other grocery in my area)

Attachments

• Coinstar Fee-Free.JPG
    Coinstar Fee-Free.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 544
OP
OP
H

HoosierDaddy

Greenie
Nov 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW!! Great info here and I sincerely appreciate the feedback. Lots of good ideas and I have access to all of the sites / items mentioned. Will get busy and see what works the best for me. Thanks again!

cbrtriple8: The hunt NEVER stops. We just pause to reload. ;D HH!

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Being friendly to the bank employees and using Coinstar are surefire ways of getting rid of your dump coins. I'll add a third by paraphrasing John Wayne, "When you have them by their taste buds, their smiles and waves will follow." One of my supply/dump banks called today letting me know my coins came in a day early. When I rolled in with some dump coins, and to pick up the new arrivals, the teller getting my new coins wanted to know how I kept the sides of the brownies I brought in last week from getting crisp. She said she, and some of the other tellers, wanted me to come in so they could hear how I baked brownies.

Moral of the story, tellers are people and like to be treated with courtesy and respect. Then again, it doesn't hurt to buy a box of brownie mix, bake 'em in a glass baking dish a minute or two less than called for, and take them to your dump bank. For the really tough teller crew, bake 'em a Bicardi rum cake. Trust me gang, I'm a klutz in the kitchen. But, there are any number of BOX goodies that are easy to make if you can read. Plus, ALL of the tellers I come into contact with are women and if I take something in that didn't come out quite right I figure they will take pity on me (wink, wink).

OP
OP
H

HoosierDaddy

Greenie
Nov 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Success with my first attempt to dump zincolns! Took two 50 cal ammo boxes to a newer dump bank in a neighboring community. Clerk one asked if I was in the Army b/c I looked like I was military. (Answer: No.) Clerk two asked what I was doing with all these pennies. (Answer: Depositing into second child's saving account to save for braces). Third clerk goes "Ahhhhh, that's so sweet......" Looks like the zincolns have found a home and I have a new workout routine involving 50 cal ammo cans. (BTW, the two cans came out to just under $200 so that would be 8 boxes!)

Bonus: Clerk two brought me two "2 cent Euros" from the reject bin.

HH!

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could just be semi honest and say you search pennies for wheats. I think that as long as you don't create major headaches or backaches for the tellers, nobody really cares. Trying to hide from an inevitable reputation of "the coin guy" or "penny guy" is a waste of time. Just go about your business and comfort will come with time. I stopped worrying about excuses a long time ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread