---------->MARKS... ADD YOUR OWN!!! <---------- _*~*_PICTURES_*~*_

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody...

**The marking of coins is a very touching and debating topic to many of you on here... please DO NOT start any arguments or debates-- or any other problems, about this thread...**

There are so many marked coins out there, some with a population of 1, very unique markings, and some where THOUSANDS, possibly even TENS OF THOUDANDS of a single mark is out there.

I am trying to start a thread...
Please post:

YOUR MARKINGS
rough estimate on how many are out in the wild
etc.

UNIQUE MARKINGS

or

ANY COIN MARKINGS YOU FREQUENTLY GET IN BOXES.

Here are some markings I got recantly out of a skunk box of halves...

ADD YOUR OWN!
Note: I do not mark half dollars.

BuffaloBoy :icon_sunny:

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 891
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not in your district but have seen them... do you ever get your coins back?
I have marked the E in Liberty with various colors. There are thousands out there. Been doing it in volume for over a year and a half. If you are in the 9th Fed. District(Minneapolis), you have probably seen them. I have just started marking the T in liberty over the past month. LMK if you see these. Good luck and HH.....

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bufboy got to much time on his hands.....never liked him....

Man...why so salty with Big Buff? Sounds like your the one with too much time on your hands. You kind of remind me of a guy I used to work for in high school...he was constantly being beat by his wife and taking out his aggression on me. I sure hope your not in that boat as well and if you are, best of luck in your recovery process.

Trav

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
I am not in your district but have seen them... do you ever get your coins back?

Yes, I see previously marked coins of mine in about one in every three boxes I open. I only mark 1971 and 1976 coins that are in VF or worse shape. I use various colors to tell me when they were marked. I do very large volumes.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I see previously marked coins of mine in about one in every three boxes I open. I only mark 1971 and 1976 coins that are in VF or worse shape. I use various colors to tell me when they were marked. I do very large volumes.

This justifies half marking idea. I think if one marks only VF condition clad halves for records and results it should be ok, but when it is NIFC coin it should be a no no.
Very ethical decision JJDEMARAY, hope that idea passes on tho another markers.

Sleazyj

Mar 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mark the coins just the wrappers with 3 black lines on the side. My dump bank now has 1000$ in searched dimes

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You'll know mine for sure if you get it, I've put about 50ish out in curculation.

Nickel Searcher 219

May 25, 2012
I just "scribble" all over the wrapper of my coins since I have to re wrap em myself.my dump bank has about 3-4,000 in pennies,nickels,and dimes.

JJDEMARAY

Mar 18, 2011
Minnesota
This justifies half marking idea. I think if one marks only VF condition clad halves for records and results it should be ok, but when it is NIFC coin it should be a no no.
Very ethical decision JJDEMARAY, hope that idea passes on tho another markers.

I can't understand why people would mark uncirculated coins, NIFC'S or Proofs? I have no problem with people marking coins that are circulated and plentiful.

I have been seeing a lot of the whole eagle being colored in lately. What other marks have other people been seeing?

TRanegar36

May 1, 2012
IL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900, Pro-Pointer AT, Stealth 720i Hybrid
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been finding lots and lots of burnt coins lately :icon_scratch:

simplyAARON

Greenie
May 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clad proof.jpg

Catch, tag, and release. They do it with sharks... I figure, by time the proofs get to me, they've already been desecrated to the point of being worth no more than face value. The more I have in clad proofs, the less I have "in the game."

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been finding lots and lots of burnt coins lately :icon_scratch:

Me too, mine look more heated up then burned, which creates discoloration and toning.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread