copper pennies

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
I paid for my ryedale in weeks. I can not say that for my metal detector.

I sold a lot of coins (1.6 cents per penny) and paid myself back. I still sell some coins, but mostly hoard now, and I'll sell when I can get a little more for them. Maybe after the composition changes. A year from now? But, if I change my mind, I can STILl sell for about 1.5 to 1.6 per penny, and with the volume I have that would still add up to a NICE profit.

PLUS all the wheats and few IH's I have, that could be sold off if I wanted (I don't). that would put my profit margins significantly higher.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How much do you plan to hoard, before having to sell off the copper?

Has anyone out there sold off copper pennies yet? Who would be the person to sell too?

lockespop

Nov 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just made my own this weekend for something to do.

Royal Sovereign Fast Sort, CH-268T Coin Comparitor and some matchbox track.

It's not a Ryedale, but It cost me just over $100. I did $257 worth of pennies (for the snobs, cents)
The nice part is that I can remove the comparitor and use the coin sorter to roll my copper for easier storage or better shipping if I sell. Can't do that with the Ryedale.

Also, I've got a second comparitor on the way, which I should be able to run in series with comparitor #1, thus allowing me to do a double sort without adding wear and tear to the coin sorter. Or, I can run pennies through one and dimes through another at the same time

There are cons: Ryedale has a larger hopper. The Royal Soveriegn says it can hold 900 coins, but it gets sluggish if you put in too much. I also have jams, mostly at the comparitor. (Easy to fix, but still a bit of a slow down and it happens every $10 or so...) I had maybe two jams in the coin sorter. I'm sure Ryedale is more of a "set-it-and-forget-it" whereas mine requires your attention. I believe I'll be able to alleviate some of the jamming issues when I properly secure the sorter and comparitor to the table, reducing the vibration of both units, keeping things in better alignment.

I'll add some pics and possibly some video if I can figure out how!

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
lockespop said:
Just made my own this weekend for something to do. . .

. . . I also have jams, mostly at the comparitor. . . (Easy to fix, but still a bit of a slow down and it happens every $10 or so...) I had maybe two jams in the coin sorter.

. . . jams . . .

My experience . . . is . . . two issues: 1) The coin . . . The fix is to . . . 2) The . . . That is too much resistance . . . remove the . . .

My experience . . . is . . . The fix for this type of clog is to . . .

lockespop said:
. . . I'm sure Ryedale is more of a "set-it-and-forget-it" . . . whereas mine requires your attention.

. . . The Ryedale needs . . .

lockespop said:
. . . I believe I'll be able to alleviate some of the jamming issues when I properly secure the sorter and comparitor to the table, reducing the vibration of both units, keeping things in better alignment. . . .

. . . the one type of clog . . .

. . . I dig it.

Last edited:

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
justicious said:
I dont see any for $10 which model do you recomend? which does ryedale use?

This seller. . . had them for $. . . last summer (or x for $x). Looks like now it will be $x with shipping.

That comparator . . . You can use . . . power supply (such as . . .). The . . . pin of the comparator is ..., 2nd one ..., ... pin is GND, ... no-connect.

I can't say for sure which one ... Speculation is that ...

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Greenie
Nov 7, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Just my (copper) two cents worth: I've had my Ryedale for about two weeks and it is beyond words! Can't buy pennies fast enough and it works flawlessly. Great $500 investment for those times when the skunks are out or a guy needs a little break from the Ag hunt. By "a little break" I mean about 6 or 7 minutes to run a box through. Ha!

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
justicious said:
does a 12v power work on a cc-16e it says 13VDC ?does it need 13v dc plug

Works just fine! 12V is within the Coin Mech specifications.

I use 12V wall warts to run all of my comparitors.

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
My experience with jams inside the comparator are that the coin is not falling through the comparator fast enough. The accept solenoid releases before the coin exits. That pins the coin in place by the rake tines. Often, the next coin through knocks it loose and both fall to the accept side. Sometimes, a clog happens. The fix for this type of clog is to either get the coin moving faster (again a function of your slide design and possibly the flapper at the input to the comparator) or trick the comparator into keeping the accept solenoid open a bit longer. I spent a lot of time tracing the circuit of the CC-16D and believe that I have a way of increasing the time for the accept solenoid to stay open. I have two bags of cents that have riding around in my car for a few days. I plan on experimenting with those when I finally get time to sort them. If I have solved this type of jam, I expect to be a hero to all who use the CC-16x comparators.

Amen Madwest!

My Rube Goldberg sorter averages seven minutes per $25 box of pennies...until the rake jam. Then it's unclamp the comparitor, fish out one to six pennies, LINE UP the comparitor with the chute/re-clamp. YOU will be the hero of CRH'ers using Coin Mech comparitors if you can slow down the rake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread