VA/MD/DC hunters and a question that has been asked!

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone in the DMV(district, maryland, va) mark up your coins with a single black line behind the head of kennedy?
This person has to be a huge volume hunter. IF you know anything about it, let me know----

ANd the question that has been asked before-
For all you cats that keep your proof coins, what do you do with them(after you keep the ones you want)?

Do any of your local coin dealers have any use for circulated proofs? (even for a small profit)
N8

Upvote 0

SilverJack

Sep 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not in the DC area so I'm not the person marking any coins.

But I do have a LCD that will purchase circ proofs. I don't care to collect them so I sell them for $2 each. It's not silver exchange but it's better than throwing them back.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I don't keep the proofs for myself. I have my own proof sets for my collection. That being said, I don't keep the beat up impaired proofs. If they only have minor scratches, then I set them aside. When I have enough, I slip them in flips and place 12 to a sheet. I just recently consigned 3 sheets at auction which realized $45.

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the quick response- Ive been going through boxes with 15 or so nice proofs.... I guess I should save em all-
N8

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a box few weeks back with over 30 proofs, been meaning to call up some coin shops and see if they would give me anything for them. I'll take $2 a piece gladly.

BTW the black line behind the head, havent seen it in my last 4 boxes, but the 6 before had a ton of them.

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah that black line guy does mad volume... i also think that if he/she has checked the coin and gets it again they mark the front of the head the same way---

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Just curious, how many boxes do you guys think this guy goes through a week? Does this guy mark all his coins or just some of them in a box?

Go find where he orders from.. Sounds mean but recrimp wrap roll the rolls (find out how to do it to look real) and tell the tellers there you will do them a favor and help get rid of him. Swap out for his orders. LOL. Tough to do but hey might slow him down a bit. LOL

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBayArea said:
Just curious, how many boxes do you guys think this guy goes through a week? Does this guy mark all his coins or just some of them in a box?

Go find where he orders from.. Sounds mean but recrimp wrap roll the rolls (find out how to do it to look real) and tell the tellers there you will do them a favor and help get rid of him. Swap out for his orders. LOL. Tough to do but hey might slow him down a bit. LOL

Assuming the heavy black vertical line is JUST one person's mark he goes through TONS of boxes. I had several boxes tonight that had his mark as enders(in the range of about 10/box just in enders). About 1/5 of the total coins probably had his mark.

I wish I could find a way to return the favor, but I think its very improbable.

N8

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
n8dagr8345 said:
SFBayArea said:

Assuming the heavy black vertical line is JUST one person's mark he goes through TONS of boxes. I had several boxes tonight that had his mark as enders(in the range of about 10/box just in enders). About 1/5 of the total coins probably had his mark.

N8

Coin marking can be very intimidating especially if you are getting skunked. It's someone's calling card. I've gotten intimidated from my own skunk boxes too. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are getting 30 skunks in a row. I remember there were ones that some guy marked on the edge of every coin. It all gets recycled. Eventually I got ones with his marks with keepers in them over time. It doesn't make sense to mark every coin in my opinion. 1/5 coins is a lot and really not worth it to mark that many. If he's marking that many, he's probably not searching monster volume because it will slow him down. True monster searcher don't want to waste time doing that since they have a ton of boxes to go through. You just got intimidated because you got so many of them in a box and got skunked.

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBayArea said:
n8dagr8345 said:
SFBayArea said:

N8

Coin marking can be very intimidating especially if you are getting skunked. It's someone's calling card. I've gotten intimidated from my own skunk boxes too. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you are getting 30 skunks in a row. I remember there were ones that some guy marked on the edge of every coin. It all gets recycled. Eventually I got ones with his marks with keepers in them over time. It doesn't make sense to mark every coin in my opinion. 1/5 coins is a lot and really not worth it to mark that many. If he's marking that many, he's probably not searching monster volume because it will slow him down. True monster searcher don't want to waste time doing that since they have a ton of boxes to go through. You just got intimidated because you got so many of them in a box and got skunked.

I wasn't skunked actually, I have seen tons of marked coins, they hardly phase me.... I was just wondering if anyone has info on this coin marker-

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
SilverJack said:
I'm not in the DC area so I'm not the person marking any coins.

But I do have a LCD that will purchase circ proofs. I don't care to collect them so I sell them for $2 each. It's not silver exchange but it's better than throwing them back.

Wow!!! I'd love to find a buyer like that!!! When I took my half proofs in, my LCD looked at me like I was trying to pawn off bent zincolns, and told me to spend them.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not intimidated by markings, especially now that I know more about the coin infrastructure. I have had boxes and boxes chalked full of someones scribblings yet they still produce silver. IMO coin marking is a total waste of time.

Texas silverbug

Jan 11, 2012
Just plain lost.
Primary Interest:
Other
n8dagr8345 said:
Anyone in the DMV(district, maryland, va) mark up your coins with a single black line behind the head of kennedy?
This person has to be a huge volume hunter. IF you know anything about it, let me know----

ANd the question that has been asked before-
For all you cats that keep your proof coins, what do you do with them(after you keep the ones you want)?

Do any of your local coin dealers have any use for circulated proofs? (even for a small profit)
N8

Good evening N8.
I have a someone that marks thier coins over the year in a 'Z' fashion and I see a lot of them.
As for the proof coins. I read here where some people are selling them for up to two dollars each, yet I save them due to low mintage and am not hurting for a few dollars to have to turn them back. I see it as future profit some time down the road when they have all been sorted into collections and there are not many left. That is when I will begin to sell them. I have plenty of room in my safes to accommodate them, so I keep them. JMHO
Gary

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
I ended up using my circulated proofs for gas money. LOL. They do not bring much profit if any. As for the marking...I have never done it and don't plan to. I hate seeing the marks when I open up a box and would hate to make more of them. The mark behind kennedies head seems very familiar like I have seen them down my way once or twice.

Golden Silver

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
golden silver said:
I ended up using my circulated proofs for gas money. LOL. They do not bring much profit if any. As for the marking...I have never done it and don't plan to. I hate seeing the marks when I open up a box and would hate to make more of them. The mark behind kennedies head seems very familiar like I have seen them down my way once or twice.

Golden Silver

You can also give them out as tips for a restaurant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread