New Hunter- Is quarter Roll Hunting a waste of time?

GimmeSomeSilver

Sep 21, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seeing as the quarter is the most circulated coin in the U.S., yes. That's not to say you won't find any silver, just quite uncommon.

HH,
Cody.

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I haven't searched much in quarters - but if you get like 1 silver in a box of $500 your doing good! in my area halves have dried up, I used to get a few a box now down to nothing...it can be a waste of time searching, but like anything you won't find anything not looking! :) HH and good luck.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
It can have some reward but be willing to work for it. It is the hardest denomination to find silver in. Good luck.

Golden Silver

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I casually started doing quarters and I've found 3 in the past couple months. Probably did about 6 boxes worth. They are fun to find but almost anybody will tell you that $500 is better spent on a box of halves.

OP
OP
danya

danya

Feb 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for your wishes of success. Good advice. I'll take it. :icon_thumright:

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
I tried quarters, and for me it seemed like I was wasting my time. Thats not to say that you won't have different results, but with that said. You got to realize that everyone is looking at quarters in their pocket change, starting with the bi-centennials and today as well as the last 13 years with the state quarters and so on. So pretty well picked clean. However a solid roll could slip through a tellers keen eye when turned in by an unknowing grandma, benificiariy or some theiveing kid. Because after all that is the only way silver gets in the system. Quarters dimes halves as well as pennies and nickles

Mojo

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had great luck with quarters this past week. I bought 2 half bags ($500) from my credit union that were taken off of their customer operated coin counter. I got 2 silvers (1 in each bag) and a West Virginia cud error (approx value $5). Have not really tried boxes, but I figured with the luck that I was having from the bags I would pick up a box the other day - nothing.

Quarters are cool too because you can put together a statehood collection pretty much no problem while going through a box or two (if you are so inclined to)

brendan1414

Apr 9, 2011
Quarters are the best denomination to search. so many produced means MORE SILVER! I find on average 2 per box, sometimes even a dozen or so! Great payoff and easy to edge search as well!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
jarlbartar said:
I bought 2 half bags ($500) from my credit union that were taken off of their customer operated coin counter... and a West Virginia cud error (approx value $5).

You mean quarter bags, right :D (a West Virginia half? I am pretty sure that is worth more than just $5)

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
We have only ever bought one roll quarters and this is what we found. We are batting 1000% and do not want to ruin our streak.

Dad and Tanner

Attachments

• 100_8576.JPG
    100_8576.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 983
  • 100_8576.JPG
    100_8576.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 512
OP
OP
danya

danya

Feb 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
gordon and tanner said:
We have only ever bought one roll quarters and this is what we found. We are batting 1000% and do not want to ruin our streak.

Dad and Tanner

Nice! Lucky you... ;D

I think it's common to find 40% halves in boxes, so that's what I'll prob go for. After all, you can search multiple denominations.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
sagittarius98 said:
jarlbartar said:
I bought 2 half bags ($500) from my credit union that were taken off of their customer operated coin counter... and a West Virginia cud error (approx value $5).

You mean quarter bags, right :D (a West Virginia half? I am pretty sure that is worth more than just $5)

Context and syntax tell me that jb was referring to 2 half bags of quarters. Not two bags of halves.
A $500 bag of quarter dollars is half bag (full bag of quarter dollars is $1000).

BTW, a half bag of quarter dollars is worth twice what a quarter bag of half dollars is worth. :tongue3:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Give it a shot! Quaters are boring but I/ve had luck about 1 per $500-$700. I found several quaters in gas station change last year too - crazy! Lol

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, syntax error. Bought 2 $500 bags of quarters last week. 1 silver in each bag, 1 WV cud. About on par with halves in my area, which are pretty dead lately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread