Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Garda pulling silver

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Farchaus2k

Re: Garda pulling silver

Yes, I called them all. Just in case you all missed it here is what I was told:

BRINK'S
    They only take the copper pennies out. Nothing else.

GARDA
    They pull all silver halves they find. Sometimes as a gift to loyal customers they leave (3) 40% halves in a box.

LOOMIS
    They pull all War Nickels and Buffalo Nickels. Nothing else.

DUNBAR
    They pull all silver dimes. Nothing else.

They all asked that I please spread the word around as well.

us
    Nov 2011
    Sulphur, NV
    419 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Yes, it would be the height of foolishness to approach a courier. Common sense people.

us
    Sir

Oct 2011
    Rubber room
    8 times
    coin roll hunting

Quote Originally Posted by namster
    Yes, it would be the height of foolishness to approach a courier. Common sense people.
    Isn't it also foolish to buy boxes and boxes of coins in hopes of finding silver?

I obviously would not approach a truck, however, I do see the guy picking up coins from a local cafeteria and that is very non threatening if I happen to be already in the cafe when he comes in. Also, as I have stated before, my mother works in the banking field. I can just get her to talk to the Loomis driver that delivers for her-
    But yes, the may not know a thing...
    Doomsday Prepper

us
    Oct 2009
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by joad
    Round these parts everybody and their brothers are dumping at TD which uses Garda as their coin processing service. Also, Penny Arcade rejects silver coin. This would probably be the main reason Garda boxes are silver slim...at least where TD banks are prevelant. Just a thought...

Joad
    Good to learn about who TD uses. As for rejecting silver it is mostly true but not always as i have seen silver [in the half bags ] on occasion.

us
    May 2011
    8 times

Ahm, no. Penny does NOT always reject silver. I was at a branch a few weeks ago and the bag
    was loaded. And yes, the teller let me exchange coin for coin, so I got them. I can assure you they were IN THE BAG.
    One more thing. TD will not typically do this for you. If you ask, the answer will 99.9999% of time be NO!

I just have a connection via work, so they let me.

_SC

Round these parts everybody and their brothers are dumping at TD which uses Garda as their coin processing service. Also, Penny Arcade rejects silver coin. This would probably be the main reason Garda boxes are silver slim...at least where TD banks are prevelant. Just a thought...

Joad

us
    Aug 2011
    826 times

When i went to pick up some boxes they drove up and i talked to them. I ask them who rolled. And the same day another truck was picking up coins. He did'nt know anything.

Farchaus2k

OK.............

us
    Oct 2011
    9 times
    Coin Roll Hunting

Anyone know if there's any basis to this...

Re: Fed Reserve rolled pennies/coppers removed?
    by highroller4321 Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:47 pm

Well I suppose I should shed some light on the topic....

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know about so information I have come across.

A very wealthy guy.from North Carolina. who I guess is in the investment business has made a deal with coinstar to buy $5,000,000 FACE VALUE in copper pennies. Yes, that is 1,666.66 TONS! He has made a contract with them for them to supply him with $5 MILLION face value over the next 2 years. (Yes, I said FIVE MILLION DOLLARS FACE VALUE)

Besides none of us getting the order the biggest kick in the pants is that he is only paying coinstar $65,000 over face value. 1.013x face.

I believe Brinks will be doing the sorting for coinstar. I am not sure if the investor has to pay brinks or not. Brinks has a machine called a supersorter that can sort out copper....they just have to turn the switch on.

I am not sure where they were going to start but I guess they have started in NC. Copper Catcher I'm sure will chime in and verify this...

The time is going to be coming sooner than we think that percentages will be under 10%!

http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9826&hilit=contract+coinstar

Farchaus2k

This was brought up a couple days ago. It is nothing more than 4th hand rumors from another forum.

us
    cooper36

Nov 2011
    east coast
    146 times

Quote Originally Posted by n8dagr8345
    Quote Originally Posted by namster
    Isn't it also foolish to buy boxes and boxes of coins in hopes of finding silver?

I obviously would not approach a truck, however, I do see the guy picking up coins from a local cafeteria and that is very non threatening if I happen to be already in the cafe when he comes in. Also, as I have stated before, my mother works in the banking field. I can just get her to talk to the Loomis driver that delivers for her-
    But yes, the may not know a thing...

us
    Feb 2012

TD Banks uses Brinks here and about a year ago some people must abused the system because I can no longer order boxes of halves from them (I can buy quarters, dimes, nickles, and pennies no problems).

The banks I order halves from uses Garda and so far knock on wood been very luck getting WL's, Ben's, 64's, and a very nice spread of 40% in the boxes.

I agree lets put this to rest!

us
    Feb 2008
    southern NJ
    7 times

Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver

Joad
    Good to learn about who TD uses. As for rejecting silver it is mostly true but not always as i have seen silver [in the half bags ] on occasion.
    Here TD uses Brinks. And the Penny will take silver halves, but not dimes or quarters.

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    649 times
    Coin Roll Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by markmopar
    Quote Originally Posted by quiksilver

Joad
    Here TD uses Brinks. And the Penny will take silver halves, but not dimes or quarters.
    I would think that they reject based on weight.
    1/100 of an American dollar is a cent. It is NOT a penny. The word penny is used by several other countries, such as Great Britain, to denote their smallest denomination. In order to be numismatically correct, you must use the term cent to describe the American coin.

May 2012

A little interesting thing about this.

I use to work for Brinks but i now work for Garda.

I worked at Brinks for a good three years and now i work at Garda. been there for four months now.
    I have been a messenger for the time that i have been an armed carrier.

I will tell you this. Brinks and Garda does not pull silver coins of any kind. It is against company policy. It is classified as personal solicitation or some crap like that.

but that does not stop me from ordering boxes, or buying the coins from teller trays. :-)

On average i round up about 7-15 silver coins per day. That is dimes quarters halfs and dollars.

I can tell you this also i have purchased a $50 Gold Eagle from a bank that i frequently pick up. The teller held it for me.

us
    Jul 2011
    32 times
    apersonel, you have the knowledge sought after by many inquiring minds on this board. Do the processing companies view crh as a cash cow (via delivery fees) or a hindrance? Is crh discussed often amongst your peers? Are you familiar with how halves are processed in the sorting facility? Also, if you would, please provide your general work location (state). Many thanks in advance- $nack

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors