Garda pulling silver

Coinsandfootball

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TD Banks uses Brinks here and about a year ago some people must abused the system because I can no longer order boxes of halves from them (I can buy quarters, dimes, nickles, and pennies no problems).

The banks I order halves from uses Garda and so far knock on wood been very luck getting WL's, Ben's, 64's, and a very nice spread of 40% in the boxes.

I agree lets put this to rest!

markmopar

Feb 15, 2008
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quiksilver said:
joad said:
Round these parts everybody and their brothers are dumping at TD which uses Garda as their coin processing service. Also, Penny Arcade rejects silver coin. This would probably be the main reason Garda boxes are silver slim...at least where TD banks are prevelant. Just a thought...

Joad

Good to learn about who TD uses. As for rejecting silver it is mostly true but not always as i have seen silver [in the half bags ] on occasion.

Here TD uses Brinks. And the Penny will take silver halves, but not dimes or quarters.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
markmopar said:
quiksilver said:
joad said:
Round these parts everybody and their brothers are dumping at TD which uses Garda as their coin processing service. Also, Penny Arcade rejects silver coin. This would probably be the main reason Garda boxes are silver slim...at least where TD banks are prevelant. Just a thought...

Joad

Good to learn about who TD uses. As for rejecting silver it is mostly true but not always as i have seen silver [in the half bags ] on occasion.

Here TD uses Brinks. And the Penny will take silver halves, but not dimes or quarters.

I would think that they reject based on weight.

apersonel

May 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A little interesting thing about this.

I use to work for Brinks but i now work for Garda.

I worked at Brinks for a good three years and now i work at Garda. been there for four months now.
I have been a messenger for the time that i have been an armed carrier.

I will tell you this. Brinks and Garda does not pull silver coins of any kind. It is against company policy. It is classified as personal solicitation or some crap like that.

but that does not stop me from ordering boxes, or buying the coins from teller trays. :-)

On average i round up about 7-15 silver coins per day. That is dimes quarters halfs and dollars.

I can tell you this also i have purchased a $50 Gold Eagle from a bank that i frequently pick up. The teller held it for me.

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
apersonel, you have the knowledge sought after by many inquiring minds on this board. Do the processing companies view crh as a cash cow (via delivery fees) or a hindrance? Is crh discussed often amongst your peers? Are you familiar with how halves are processed in the sorting facility? Also, if you would, please provide your general work location (state). Many thanks in advance- $nack

apersonel

May 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is viewed as a cash cow to the company but an annoyance to the messengers.

And I am familiar with how they are processed. They are weighed then thrown in coin machines to be rerolled or bagged. Silver Coins are not kicked out of the machine nor are they pulled by the employees. They are simply rerolled or bagged.

db23

Mar 18, 2011
It is viewed as a cash cow to the company but an annoyance to the messengers.

And I am familiar with how they are processed. They are weighed then thrown in coin machines to be rerolled or bagged. Silver Coins are not kicked out of the machine nor are they pulled by the employees. They are simply rerolled or bagged.
Are these bags delivered to banks or put on a pallet to be shipped to a Federal Reserve Bank?

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
apersonel, thanks for the insight. As for the sorting facility, are the boxes arranged on a pallet? Also, when collected halves from bank pickups come into the sorting facility, are they the first ones to go out or does Brinks/ Garda rotate stock? Also please comment on the amount of halves, on average, stored in the sorting facilities.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread