Other
Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Well...I would have to say that you stand a better chance of walking with silver after a few hours of work by CRHing. Of course in some peoples areas it is really hard hit and metal detecting may be better. You would have to try and see. On my best day Metal detecting I walked with 5 silver coins after several hours of digging in the heat. My best day CRHing I walked with over 700 silvers after a few hours in air conditioning. Metal detecting I can come home empty handed in the way of silver after working for hours but even if I get skunked CRHing I am usually comfortable when I do it. I usually do not get skunked though. I still love metal detecting but I do it for the thrill and mystery of it all not for volume of finds.

Golden Silver

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On any given day, one can outproduce the other. Over the course of many days, CRH will greatly outperform detecting in terms of the amount of silver found, and it isn't even close. I've been detecting for 30+ years, and CRHing for a little over 2 years. I have spent a great many more hours swinging a detector than cracking rolls. However, I have had many single days CRHing that completely blows away my lifetime detecting totals. I consider 2+ silvers in a day an absolutely GREAT day with the detector. I've only done that a handfull of times in 30+ years.

Now, if you're wanting older and better silver coins, I think you have a better shot with the detector. I have dug more Barbers than I have found CRHing. Its not unusual for coins to come out of the ground in amazing condition, even if they've been lying there for 100+ years. Rarely are the older/better CRH finds in amazing shape.

So I guess it just comes down to whether you want quantity or quality. Personally, I like both. :icon_thumleft:

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into CRH because it is too cold to Metal detect.

i will always do both. If you do your research you can find small honey holes loaded with silver and other unique treasures on old homestead sites.

CRH is definately more comfortable, but MD gets you outside in some nice fresh air and sunshine for some much needed excercise.

IMO MD coins are in much better condition as well as more frequently find the less common dates.

I find both hobbies enjoyable and anything that can add silver to the pile is a plus in my book. Both are fun and rewarding i MD when the sun is up and CRH when the sun goes down :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Like the others said, crh volume is king. Dirtfishing gives up the quality. I've had several half-dozen + silver days in the dirt and am hooked prob for life. I've dug silver from 1758 on up Peace, Morgan, Franklins, Walkers, Barbs, nothing matches the thrill of digging big silver, I tell you what

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are two very different animals - I believe the thrill factor is a bit higher in metal detecting ,
For volume of silver , in my experience CRH - blows MD out of the water ! Argentium.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 2011 i found 79 silvers with CRHing, with my metal detector I found 229 silver in 2011....so for me metal detecting worked better for me last year....lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread