Does anyone believe theyre the only one in their area?

$nack-Money

Jul 16, 2011
Does anyone believe they're the only one in their area?

Conducting CRH activities that is... I do

I believe that I'm the only one in my area simply due to the coin machines I use. According to the tellers, which I've grown to know very well now, I'm the only one bringing in halves and dimes in large quantity... ever. By large quantity, I never dump more than 1K per visit.

To add to my belief, I have been to every bank within a 30 mile radius of my home. There are only 4 banks in this area that have self-serve coin machines (they happen to all be the "Quick Change" machines. I have to believe that if there were any semi-serious CRH'ers in my area that they would certainly visit these machines on a regular basis.

I've only heard tell of one other CRH'er in my area (from one of my tellers at a pickup bank). The teller stated that a guy used to come in to their branch and purchase a box of pennies every other week. The teller then went on to snicker about how that same guy bragged about dumping the non-copper cents at one of their competitors.

What say you?

For comparison to your area, I live in a small town, surrounded by 3 cities of about 50K population each. All 3 of these cities are within my 30 mile search radius. And btw, the silver is flowing here and I'm recovering it as fast as possible! ;D

Upvote 0

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Re: Does anyone believe they're the only one in their area?

Sooo...what state are you in? I know in my area there used to be a ton. I think many gave up when silver slowed down. I know there will be more. I live in a rural area but my area of operation is vast. Silver is still doing good in my neck of the woods although not as good as it once was.

Golden Silver

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

I know that the must be at least one because I once picked up a few CWR of cents and got mostly zinc with one lone 1982 copper. The rolls were marked with an artistic design of an arrow going through a hole.

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other

I think some people / many people might be the only hunter at their bank, but if you go a bit bigger, to the area serviced by a delivery service, I would say you would be surprised how many hunters there are...

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010

I'm not alone here in my area. I have gotten dumps from other hunters (rolled dumps versus in a machine) and I've been told by tellers that others are looking for halves etc. I still manage to get pretty good amount of silver here though.

HH

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other

I am the only one in my local area. My bank only supplies me with halves and no one else here dumps them.

The city to the north is a college town, I am the only one who hunts silver there too. I ran into a older guy who picked up 2 boxes and a bag of pennies though.

The city to the East there is apparently one CRH guy who does halves. I picked up his dump and managed to pull 24/40% halves out of it if I recall correctly.

I am hitting this area as hard as possible without pissing off the tellers.

I am 11oz away from hitting the 100oz mark. I have stepped up my game to 8 boxes this week and 12 the next, alternating in that fashion. That is likely the most I am going to be able to do a this time until I get more funds set aside.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

The only competition I'm worried about are the tellers...at every bank.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

There are so many people CRHing around here that the banks will surely open a teller window just for those looking for silver.

;D

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

At least 3 others around here, one I run into regularly. He gets weird when I walk into a bank, not friendly at all. He also picks up and dumps into my best bank.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Yeah I once ran into a local CRHer and tried to hold a conversation but he did not seem interested in talking and more upset that I was doing the same thing he was doing. Oh well...I was not threatened by him he may have been intimidated since I was dumping over 3,000 in half dollars. I do not know.

Golden Silver

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have visited practically every bank within a 75 mile radius of my home and many further away than that. Almost every bank now says that they have at least 1 person who stops in "regularly" looking for halves, and this was not the case just a couple of years ago. I used to score rolls that the bank said that they had in their vault for a year or more on a somewhat regular basis. Now they seem to go back out nearly as fast as they come in. I don't think there are a bunch of people out there that go to the extent that we that post on this forum do to find silver. It does seem though that almost every bank has at least one regular customer that requests halves when they are at the bank for their normal banking business, or maybe visits most/all the banks in the town in which they reside somewhat regularly...which is just as bad as a few big-time searchers...if not worse.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There is absolutey no competion anywhere close to me. And I live within 2 hours of 3 of the top twenty city in in the us :BangHead: nope no competion at all. Except atleast 10 of you I can on this board that I can call associates in grime.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

clovis97 said:
There are so many people CRHing around here that the banks will surely open a teller window just for those looking for silver.

;D

At least 6 people I know of on this forum alone! Pretty freakin crowded! I'm running into CRH'ers all the time now, and have been getting rewrapped DIMES - string rolls that have been opened and folded shut. It's getting ridiculous... ::)

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There are a few in my area. So what let them try to keep up. Good luck with that. :icon_scratch:

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know of one that posts regularly on another forum. We compare finds when we meet. We both do the same volume of boxes and return bags to the same branch. He's been at this for about 3 years while i've been searching for closer to six years.

Coinsandfootball

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TimZim said:
There are a few in my area. So what let them try to keep up. Good luck with that. :icon_scratch:

Tim with you picking up 40 to over 50 boxes a week you are the man in your area! LOL

CubanHunter

Jan 2, 2012
Miami, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It seems there are not many in my area. At least I am the only one dumping big quantities on the TD banks. I do find a lot of coins marked but I think they are from old hunters that give up long time ago.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

FormerTeller said:
clovis97 said:

;D

At least 6 people I know of on this forum alone! Pretty freakin crowded! I'm running into CRH'ers all the time now, and have been getting rewrapped DIMES - string rolls that have been opened and folded shut. It's getting ridiculous... ::)

Rewrapped String dimes? I haven't seen that yet, but I am sure it is coming.

I just learned there is a new CRH'er in town. Someone is dumping at one of my buy banks. "He has been bringing us about $500 worth every week" they told me.

Finding true CWR's is proving to be nearly impossible here. If someone said they found CWR's in my town, I would believe that is urban legend.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

FormerTeller said:
clovis97 said:

;D

Why do people continue to get paper wrapped dimes? Isn't that almost as time consuming as searching a box of nickels? Seems like a lot of work for very little if one is averaging a little over one coin per $500.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread