NIFC value?

Gooseman

Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
If your looking for a profit from them not going to happen. Keep them if you like them otherwise don't tie your money up.

Jeff

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually sold some NIFC half rolls with some clad Ike's recently and made about a 10% profit for the lot. But finding buyers for either of those coins is the challenge.

Good luck & HH!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep a couple of the best condition of each date and mintmark for my personal collection (not ever expecting to profit from them) and release the rest. They have no value over face that I'm aware of. Not much of a demand for a circulated coin that was only released in uncirculated collector sets/rolls...especially when those sets and rolls can still be bought for a very small premium themselves. Think about it, would you pay $20,000 for a used car if you could buy that very same car brand new for $21,000? Its the same principle.

You might throw a batch of them on eBay and hope for the best. You might even make a small premium. However, I think you'll be hard pressed to consistently be able to sell them for a profit.

Texas silverbug

Jan 11, 2012
Just plain lost.
Primary Interest:
Other
I know most of you will disagree with me, yet I keep all of them. Due to the low mintage and the population of collectors growing, sometime in the future there will be collectors that will pay a premium for them. I have lots of safe space so it is not in the way. Knowing a lot of you folks are young (unlike me) I have grandchildren that might find these coins will have value after I am gone.

However.... Just keep throwing them back for me..:)

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Texas Silverbug said:
I know most of you will disagree with me, yet I keep all of them. Due to the low mintage and the population of collectors growing, sometime in the future there will be collectors that will pay a premium for them. I have lots of safe space so it is not in the way. Knowing a lot of you folks are young (unlike me) I have grandchildren that might find these coins will have value after I am gone.

However.... Just keep throwing them back for me..:)

You very well may be right, although I very respectfully disagree. Not that it matters, but for the record I am old enough to have grandchildren, although I do not. Personally, I think your grandchildren would come out better value-wise if you'd take those NIFC halves and use them to buy gold or silver. Even if gold/silver prices just remain constant over that time, I'd wager my house that by the time your grandchildren receive those coins that 50 cents then won't even come close to buying what 50 cents will now, which means that if the coins do not appreciate in value, you have essentially lost money. Your NIFC halves will likely have to more than double in value over that time just to "break even." Throw in the fact that it is at least a remote possibility that the dollar gets devalued somewhere during that time frame (your NIFC 50 cent pieces would likely be worth ~5 cents in "new" dollars), and I think gold and/or silver makes even more sense as "something to leave your grandchildren."

Thats my opinion anyway. Feel free to disagree.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Dump, I only been at this for a few months, doing tiny volume compared to some of the members here and I seem to find 2-5 per box at minimum. I dont think they will increase in value, and if they did, its ways away and not worth it in my mind. I also think there are better ways to use that cash rather than have 100s of dollars tied up NIFCs. What Arkie mentioned makes most sense to me, buy PMs.

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep one of each year and mint for collection books release the rest.
Value = .50

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread