waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Won't try to keep you in suspense. As the title says I found a 1909 S VDB today while searching a bag of cents.

Here is the rest of the story. It's kinda long but hey I don't find one of these every day.

I have 3 branch banks that sell me the bags that come off of their coin counters. Recently the big volume one got a new counter that uses a big bin rather than individual bags to store coin that is run through the machine. I was pretty bummed out about it since my volume is way down. However, a couple of weeks ago one of my favorite tellers from that branch got a promotion to another branch that I never visit because it is out of the way. Anyway, yesterday I had some extra time while running errands and pick-ups so I went by that branch to see what they had. I managed to pick up 2 cent bags and 1 dime bag. The dime bag had 4 silver roosies in it, which is about normal these days so I was pretty happy with that.

I had intended to play golf or metal detect today, but it was one of those Pacific Northwest days where it was raining at home, snowing in the higher elevations and just too darn cold and windy to play golf or detect. So I grabbed a bag on cents and started searching. It was a typical bag and I had found 7 or 8 wheats and put them in my little collection bowl. I found a very worn cent that was wheat side up and as is my practice I put it off to the side to look at when I finished the bag. Soon thereafter I found a pretty nice 1919 and into the bowl it went. Then found another one wheat side up that looked like it might be old so I sat it to the side. After finishing the bag I turned my attention to the 2 that I had set aside. The really worn one was a 1913, so I was happy. Then I picked up the other one and looked at the reverse (without a magnifying glass). I noticed what I figured was a bit of damage at the bottom and flipped the coin over. Staring at me was a gorgeous 1909S. Remembering what I thought was damage and immediately recalling that some of the S VDB reverses have a very weak S VDB, I turned the coin back over and looked at it with a magnifying glass at a slightly different angle. Sure enough there it was. I screamed and yelled to my wife that I had found the holy grail. She humored me by saying that's nice dear and went on with her work :laughing9:

Once I came down from the ceiling I called or texted everyone I know who would be interested in my find. Then I thought time to get this puppy on TN. Of course the battery in my camera was flat, so I posted a quick note about the find in another thread here about the oldest finds among the rare cents. I put the battery in the charger and tried to get a few other things done. After about an hour I checked the charger and the charged light still wasn't on so not wanting to rush things, I went out to run my errands and came back a couple of hours later figuring that the battery would be charged. The charged light still wasn't on, but I figured it had enough charge by now so that I could get a couple of pics taken. Turns out the battery wasn't flat it was DEAD. I tried another camera, but couldn't get a close enough focus for a good pic. So now I'm really p*ssed, so I go to the Sony website to see if they even still stock a battery for this camera. ( it is an old Mavica that uses 3.5" disks as the recording media). They did have the battery so I ordered one. At about the same time I pressed the purchase button on the Sony site I thought maybe Batteries Plus would have one. So I went to their web site and sure enough there it was. Called the local store to inquire and they had it in stock. They did so it was back in the car for a 15 mile trip to the area where I had just been running errands to pick up a battery. Of course all the way there and back I'm hoping some idiot doesn't hit me or that I don't have a heart attack or car trouble because I was so excited to get the battery and be able to post the pic. :laughing7:

So here is the pic. As you can see the VDB is kinda faint when looking straight at the reverse. But, one of the known reverses is referred to as the faint VDB. You can see it a bit better in the partial pic.

Attachments

• 09svdb.jpg
    09svdb.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 4,970
Upvote 0
OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've added a few more photos of the reverse in an attempt to get a clearer shot of the VDB.

Attachments

• svdbrev.jpg
    svdbrev.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 2,994
  • svdbrev1.jpg
    svdbrev1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 3,062

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable find!!!! Congrats for sure.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find man!I have to say,it would be sold!If I found it.
My cousin's very first find with a detector was VDB penny,but it was toasted.........I about fell over when he handed it to me!!!

vanoldschool

Dec 1, 2005
Port Orchard, Wa
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pacnorwest banner...awesome!! My wife just started working at a bank, guess I will have to see if she can get me a bag!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner! How many cents have you searched before you get to this point?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch:

Why is this Banner. I thought this was a Treasure Hunting site, and banner finds came from hunting :dontknow: It may be a scarse coin, but if I go out and buy a scarse saxon coin, I wouldn't expect to make the banner.

Having said that weldone on a rare score....just a shame it never came under the coil.

SS

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yinzi50 said:
Congrats on the banner! How many cents have you searched before you get to this point?

I've been searching rolls for almost 40 years and doing it every day since 2005 when I retired. I don't normally keep statistics about how many coins I search, but in 2010 I did it just for grins. That year I did 1.1 million cents, almost half a million dimes and around 20k in half dollars. I got somewhere around 10k wheat cents 40 or so Indian Head cents and several hundred silver dimes that year. My totals are less now that my main pick up branch has a new coin counter that uses 1 big bin instead of bags so I can't buy from them now.

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:

Why is this Banner. I thought this was a Treasure Hunting site, and banner finds came from hunting :dontknow: It may be a scarse coin, but if I go out and buy a scarse saxon coin, I wouldn't expect to make the banner.

Having said that weldone on a rare score....just a shame it never came under the coil.

SS

I don't set the rules on who makes that banner but am very grateful for those who voted banner. While I technically did buy it for .01, it was treasure hunting and it was found in circulation, not purchased from a shop or another collector. I would love to find one under my coil someday.

OP
OP
waseeker

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to everyone for your comments and banner votes.

A couple more comments. I've talked to the branch where I bought the bag and told them lunch is on me. They voted for pizza and we're trying to schedule a day and time.

I now need only 3 cents - the 1914D, the 1922 Plain and the 1931S to complete a set of cents from circulation. I never thought I would find them or the 09S VDB, but now that I have the 09S VDB I'm hopeful that one day at least one of the others will show up.

I've added 2 more pictures to this post. it is difficult to get the VDB to show in a full picture without blurring the other details, but this is as good as I could do this morning.

Attachments

• svdb goodobv.jpg
    svdb goodobv.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 2,394
  • svdb goodrev.jpg
    svdb goodrev.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 2,459

ImpurestStewart

Jun 8, 2011
Laurel, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver Searcher said:

SS

Just because we aren't swinging a coil to find treasure doesn't take away from this find. CRHing isn't as easy as people think, You have to know how to get and GET RID OF coin effectively. There is no need for such negativity.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:

SS
There have been CRH'ing finds on the banner before as well as native American artifacts and bottles and rocks and pottery. So, it's not just for detector finds.

I have about 14,000 or so wheats to search through. So far I have found a 1909 and a 1909 VDB, still looking for the mintmarks though. Nice find for sure. Congrats.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImpurestStewart said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

Just because we aren't swinging a coil to find treasure doesn't take away from this find. CRHing isn't as easy as people think, You have to know how to get and GET RID OF coin effectively. There is no need for such negativity.
There was no negativity....just a question ??? I know how I would rather make banner...do you ??? I knew some one like you would jump on this the wrong way.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
ImpurestStewart said:
Silver Searcher said:

SS

It is even better to get a rare coin CRH because it is most likely going to be better condition than from under a coil.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great great find, and a big congrats. You did find it as you were CRH'g, so my vote goes for BANNER. I bet you forgot all about those 6-rosie's ? The only way to top this find would be finding a 1916-D Mercury dime in F/EF condition in your next box. It's pays off to be a collector and CRHer at the same time, and not just going for silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions