New Roll Hunter (Pics)

Tylertut

Feb 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been reading about everybody's finds and couldn't help but make an account and post.
Ive only been at this for a week and have gone through 5 boxes of pennies. I am only doing pennies at the moment due to low money.
I have found around a roll of wheats and over a roll of 2009 and Canadian, as well 8 older Canadians.
Today I found no wheats in an entire box, but did find a '62 in almost uncirculated condition.
Yesterday I found no wheats until my last roll... I found this steel penny in great condition, but sadly, I believe it has been reprocessed.

Its pretty good in the small rural area I live in, I have about 20 banks within 20 miles and all in really small towns.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 664
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 675
Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Canadian hunter said:
It has a rotated die?

It certainly looks that way to me based on the orientation of the obverse in relation to the staples. The reverse ( if they are the same staple marks) is rotated 90 degrees. Heck of a find.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find, I have done 70+ penny boxes in my CRH career, never found a steel penny.

It almost looks like the steel cent was replated, but I could be wrong.

HH

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
Canadian hunter said:
It has a rotated die?

It certainly looks that way to me based on the orientation of the obverse in relation to the staples. The reverse ( if they are the same staple marks) is rotated 90 degrees. Heck of a find.

Maybe 4 staples and coincidental cropping? :icon_scratch:

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
:icon_thumright:

that is a cool find!!!

beervestor

Jan 23, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this might sound like a dumb question but how do u get coins in those platic sleeve cases lol i have been wondering where u get them from

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
madwest said:
Diver_Down said:
Canadian hunter said:
It has a rotated die?

That's what I'd like to believe, but as I analyzed the staples and the staple holes, it makes me think that it is indeed a rotated die. The only way is for the original poster to chime in. If it is a rotated die, it is a heck of a find.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
beervestor said:
this might sound like a dumb question but how do u get coins in those platic sleeve cases lol i have been wondering where u get them from

a coin shop sells them, also Michaels craft store sells them (more expensive than cs)

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Diver_Down said:
madwest said:
Diver_Down said:
Canadian hunter said:
It has a rotated die?

That's what I'd like to believe, but as I analyzed the staples and the staple holes, it makes me think that it is indeed a rotated die. The only way is for the original poster to chime in. If it is a rotated die, it is a heck of a find.

Truly, if this one has a rotated die, which tends to look like 90 degrees right or left, this is one of a kind. Taking in account, how uncommon the 1943 steel penny is, I would say that rotated die would be worth at least 50$ in that grade. However, we can not know for sure, unless the poster will put some insight about this coin.

OP
OP
T

Tylertut

Feb 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry guys, it is not a rotated die, just a replaced 1943 steel cent. Wish it was though.
As on the 2x2 its placed in. I reused an old one so it has marks from the old staples.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Tylertut said:
Sorry guys, it is not a rotated die, just a replaced 1943 steel cent. Wish it was though.
As on the 2x2 its placed in. I reused an old one so it has marks from the old staples.

So you are saying that it is reprocessed - that we all agree on. But the re-used 2x2, did you use 4 staples?

OP
OP
T

Tylertut

Feb 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diver_Down said:
Tylertut said:

So you are saying that it is reprocessed - that we all agree on. But the re-used 2x2, did you use 4 staples?

Yes, I generally do use four staples, as opposed to the three that most probably use.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Tylertut said:
Diver_Down said:
Tylertut said:

Yes, I generally do use four staples, as opposed to the three that most probably use.

My coin shop uses 3, I use 4.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread