Two Incredible Finds and an Even More Incredible Coincidence (PICs)

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
I/We (my daughters and I) found two amazing firsts at nearly the exact same instant.

I had acquired $360 in halves from a small town bank. The rolls were what I would call Bank Wrapped Rolls. You could tell they were commercial wrappers and machine crimped, but they were much looser than a Loomis wrapped roll. I started my girls opening them and then went to sorting a bag of dimes through the Franken-Sorter. These girls are 5 and 6 and really into CRH. I couldn't be prouder of them. They both can spot a silver edge without fail (I do double check all that they search though).

Before I even got started with my dimes in the basement, I heard them each yelling "SILVER" one after another. After the 5th or 6th such outburst, I couldn't help but dash up the stairs to see what all of the clatter was. Sure enough they had 2 90% and 5 40% laid out between them. As I walked up, the younger one had just found a British Penny. I had found them before, but this was her first (not the amazing find I was talking about though). After surveying their success, I headed back to the basement to do my dimes. Their shouts of "Silver" kept ringing.

About 10-12minutes into my dime sort, the Franken-Sorter spits out an amazing looking 1907 Barber Dime - the first I've found. I stopped the machine and started heading up the stairs to show this beauty to the family. The older girl was on her way down to show me that she just found a coin like sister's "just this one is silver" she says. It wasn't a silver British Penny though, it was a Seated Half. The obverse of that half does look a little like the reverse of a British Penny after all - at least to a 6 year old it does.

I found it quite remarkable that we found these awesome coins at nearly the exact same instant.

The halves produced 4x '64 Kens; 8x 40% Kens; 1853 Seated; 1946 British Penny; and 2 president dollars (another first - president dollars in half rolls ???). The $1000 in dimes produced 4 Ag Rosies and the 1907 Barber.

Attachments

• Barber, Seated 2.jpg
    Barber, Seated 2.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,065
  • Barber, Seated.jpg
    Barber, Seated.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 998
Upvote 0

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 words.....SHAZZAM

Attachments

• 3AndyGriffith07.jpg
    3AndyGriffith07.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,063
OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
gordon and tanner said:
Great Score!!!!!!!!!!

Abe Lincoln was alive when that coin was minted.

Dad and Tanner

No doubt. It blows my mind that this coin ends up in a roll with modern clads.

Where has it been? How did it land there? Sure it's slick, but how is it that nobody put it away before now? What would have happened to it if I hadn't rescued it?

mfitzy111

Mar 6, 2011
NEPA
Detector(s) used
garrett ACE350 (traded off!), minelab E-TRAC, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
seated in halves! wow- I hope your playing the lotto tonight!!!! this is the best! :icon_thumright: (speechless!) :icon_thumleft:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Wow!!! Great finds!!!!

My young daughter CRH with us too. Today, she bought her own roll of dimes at the bank. We always award a 'silver queen/king' to the person who finds the most silver during the search.

I love the seated. I wonder how many Silver War...um, er...Civil War soldiers held that coin at one time or another?

The Barber is a real thrill to find...I can't imagine the rush of finding a seated.

What is a Franken sorter, BTW?

Congrats!!!!!

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
clovis97 said:
What is a Franken sorter, BTW?

Franken-Sorter is a one-of-a-kind homemade sorter that will separate Cu cents from Zn cents or, as in this case, Ag dimes from clad dimes.

It is ugly and made from a mix-match of all kinds of sub-parts. So, I affectionately call it Franken-Sorter.

Here is an old video of it doing dimes (). I have made some modest improvements to it since, but the basic principle is the same.

I get dimes from my CU's coin machine - in bags of $1000. I just pour into the hopper and stay within earshot to listen for clogs. When all is done, any US 90% Ag is one of the first two bins. It will miss most foreign silvers.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
It wasn't a silver British Penny though

I would rather find a silver British penny error than a seated any day. However, Congrats on your find and one my favorite US designs is Seated Liberty (have a quarter I bought in worse condition than yours)

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
sagittarius98 said:
madwest said:
It wasn't a silver British Penny though

I would rather find a silver British penny error than a seated any day. However, Congrats on your find and one my favorite US designs is Seated Liberty (have a quarter I bought in worse condition than yours)

I really like the Seated design also.

I later overheard my youngest explaining to the oldest:
"sitting liberty is the oldest, then standing liberty, then walking liberty - because she had to stand up before she could walk" Now that is priceless.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go brother! I have my girls help me sort and let them keep whatever keepers they find, but they arent that into it - being 12 & 13 they have all kinds of other distractions. Between the two of us being so hot on the silver lately we are gonna melt what little is left of this WI snow!

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
madwest said:
I later overheard my youngest explaining to the oldest:
"sitting liberty is the oldest, then standing liberty, then walking liberty - because she had to stand up before she could walk" Now that is priceless.

I just did an audible "Awwww" sitting here at my computer. I say instead of dead men on our coins we should continue the progression of liberty. After walking Liberty logically comes "Charging Liberty" and then "Ass Kicking Liberty" holding a Colt Peacemaker. Think of it as the American version of Britannia holding a trident.

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
This is just an incredible find, once in a life score. What really caught my attention is that designs of both, seated liberty and the British penny are quite similar. The person on the British penny faces the same direction, the pose looks quite similar, also both are holding the staff. I find this similarity quite interesting. Anyhow great job on finding those silvers :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
madwest

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Canadian hunter said:
This is just an incredible find, once in a life score. What really caught my attention is that designs of both, seated liberty and the British penny are quite similar. The person on the British penny faces the same direction, the pose looks quite similar, also both are holding the staff. I find this similarity quite interesting. Anyhow great job on finding those silvers :icon_thumleft:

I found that fascinating too. When I went to show her that the coins were completely different, I had to concede that they are actually very similar.

The proportions of the figures are quite similar, the width of the base is quite similar, the right arm of the figures follow similar lines. With the US half worn slick, I can totally understand that she figured it was the same kind of coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread