namster halves 24 boxes total 2/27-3/3 mix of good and crappy

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So this week was an interesting mix of skunks and awesome boxes. Banks 2, 3, and 4 are serviced by the same carrier. I am noticing that certain branches are running a hot streak, while others are running a cold streak. Boxes 14-18 from bank 2 were ordered from an out of town bank (I was out on business). Boxes 4 and 5 are also from another out of town bank, but they have been hot. These towns are all withing 50 miles of the town I live in.

11.21 OZ of silver

Bank 1:

ORDERS CANCELED

I was running a 20 box skunk streak, and dealing with each box short by $1-$3 so I decided to cut them loose.

Bank 2:

1) 65
2) 65, 67, 69
3) 67x3, 68x3, 69
4) 49, 65, 67x2, 68
5) 64, 65x2, 66x2, 67x9, 68x9, 69
6) 65
7) Skunk
8 ) Skunk
9) Skunk
10) Skunk
11) 62
12) 64
13) Skunk
14) Skunk
15) Skunk
16) Skunk
17) Skunk
18) Skunk

Bank 3:

1) 65, 67, 68, 69x2 (this box breaks an 8 box skunk streak with this bank)
2) Skunk

Bank 4:

1) 66x3, 67x6, 68x5, 69x4
2) 68x2, 69x2

Bank 5 (new bank):

1) Skunk
2) Skunk

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
looks like a mix of good and bad boxes like you said but a pretty good week overall.

My boxes have been rather cold lately. I think I've only found 9 keepers from my last 13 boxes.

I think I'm going to switch it up a little and try ordering bags from another bank and see how that goes.

Btw nam, I've been meaning to ask about your new avatar. I think I remember you posting finding that Benender recently but I can't remember did the coin have that black line over Ben's ear when you found it? Just curious - seems like an unusual marking. Always great finding a silver faced Ben though. :)

Btw #2, I just remembered I have a Ben somewhere that I've had for a while (I don't think I found it CRHing) and it has an unusual scratch on Ben's forehead or temple that looks like a crack or lightning bolt and whenever I look at the coin I always think it looks like a Frankenstein Ben. The coin may even be a '55 Ben but I can't remember for sure. It just always looks a little funny to me whenever I see it.

Happy March Hunting!

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup thats how I found it. Thought it was so strange that someone would mark what is obviously a 90% silver half.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I just checked the date of my Frankenstein Ben and it's a '49 - same date as your black line Ben. I keep it in one of my silver boxes that's about the size of a brick or dime box and is full of bags & rolls of Walkers, Bens, 90% Kens, Morgans, Peace, Barber halves & quarters, SL & silver Wash. quarters and a few Mercs & Rosies. Some of the nicer coins I have in 2 x 2's and flips and individual hard round plastic holders. Most of these aren't CRHing finds but I do keep my solid roll of Bens in this box that I found in 9 - '09 that really got me interested and hooked on CRHing. I think there is at least $100+ fv (maybe closer to $200 fv) in this box and some coins have a little numis. value too.

I don't even know how much total silver I own. I've been hoarding for several years now. I've also got quite a few collectible silver eagles & dozens of U.S silver proof sets & Canadian proof like mint sets that I was buying a few years back at or below melt (not the ASE's though). Now I get all my silver CRHing. It's all for retirement when silver prices will be well into the triple digits - thank you Federal Reserve. :)

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post. H$H!

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SilverFace said:
I just checked the date of my Frankenstein Ben and it's a '49 - same date as your black line Ben. I keep it in one of my silver boxes that's about the size of a dime box and is full of bags & rolls of Walkers, Bens, 90% Kens, Morgans, Peace, Barber halves & quarters, SL & silver Wash. quarters and a few Mercs & Rosies. Some of the nicer coins I have in 2 x 2's and flips and individual hard round plastic holders. Most of these aren't CRHing finds but I do keep my solid roll of Bens in this box that I found in 9-09 that really got me interested and hooked on CRHing. I think there is at least $100+ fv in this box and some have a little numis. value too.
I don't even know how much total silver I own. I've been hoarding for several years now. I've also got quite a few collectible silver eagles & dozens of U.S silver proof sets & Canadian proof like mint sets that I was buying a few years back at or below melt (not the ASE's though). Now I get all my silver CRHing. It's all for retirement when silver prices will be well into the triple digits.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post. H$H!

I think I read about your solid ben score when I first got into this. Very nice. I have not been so lucky to see a roll like that. My best CWR had 11 silvers in it, not too bad. Boxes seem to be the most consistent on a week to week basis as long as I keep up the volume. I am also thinking silver will hit $100 in the next 10-15 years.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Silverface....

You may have an exciting new variety w/your lightning bolt coin... you can call it the Harry Potter half!

BTW...nice box 5 namster... those boxes are a blast to open!

HH
BB

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Wow, I'm shocked that Bank 2 lets you order 9 K worth? Guess they're a large sized bank with lots of room. Hopefully you got them some cookies. It is amazing that you drive 50 miles to get boxes but I suppose that ok if you mix it in with stuff you have to do in those areas.

I wouldn't always assume that the marked Franklin was intentionally marked by a CRHer. I surmise that it was marked by someone who was probably messing around and didn't know anything about coins. It wasn't done to keep track of dumps. LOL

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
Wow, I'm shocked that Bank 2 lets you order 9 K worth? Guess they're a large sized bank with lots of room. Hopefully you got them some cookies. It is amazing that you drive 50 miles to get boxes but I suppose that ok if you mix it in with stuff you have to do in those areas.

They are not all from one branch. Spread out over 6 branches. When I get out of town boxes its always when I am traveling for business, so I call ahead and order boxes to go through during down time. Ill be 200 miles away on business next week and plan to order 10 boxes or so to go through.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
namster said:
SFBayArea said:

They are not all from one branch. Spread out over 6 branches. When I get out of town boxes its always when I am traveling for business, so I call ahead and order boxes to go through during down time. Ill be 200 miles away on business next week and plan to order 10 boxes or so to go through.

Gotcha.. that's the right way to do it.

Usually, when it becomes overload, they will cut someone off. One of my order banks that consistently ordered for me over the last year recently threw in the FEE word. I suspect it's because there's this other guy that gets halves from them too. He dumps there too. I suspected he shorted me before too when I got his dump box as part of my pick up. Needless to say, I've had to go there more often than usual to pick up on delivery days to make sure this guy doesn't get my boxes. However, it just led to overkill. Typically I would prefer to show up once per week at a bank. They had to order more boxes and had to deal with more than one guy picking up and with me showing up a few times a week to get boxes. Shame, they were a good branch too. I just suspect the whole situation became a pain and they threw in the FEE word. Some people are such idiots out there that they consider nothing but themselves and screw up the system. These people are sociopaths. Selfish in what they do and don't realize we live in a society. You have to give a little to get something. Guys like that give nothing and just screw it up for everyone. Yeah, they didn't like him dumping there and dealing with me coming more than once a week to pick was too much for them. It wasn't a complete loss, the boxes from there of late were terrible. Got 1 40%er in the last 10 boxes from there.

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
Gotcha.. that's the right way to do it.

Usually, when it becomes overload, they will cut someone off. One of my order banks that consistently ordered for me over the last year recently threw in the FEE word. I suspect it's because there's this other guy that gets halves from them too. He dumps there too. I suspected he shorted me before too when I got his dump box as part of my pick up. Needless to say, I've had to go there more often than usual to pick up on delivery days to make sure this guy doesn't get my boxes. However, it just led to overkill. Typically I would prefer to show up once per week at a bank. They had to order more boxes and had to deal with more than one guy picking up and with me showing up a few times a week to get boxes. Shame, they were a good branch too. I just suspect the whole situation became a pain and they threw in the FEE word. Some people are such idiots out there that they consider nothing but themselves and screw up the system. These people are sociopaths. Selfish in what they do and don't realize we live in a society. You have to give a little to get something. Guys like that give nothing and just screw it up for everyone. Yeah, they didn't like him dumping there and dealing with me coming more than once a week to pick was too much for them. It wasn't a complete loss, the boxes from there of late were terrible. Got 1 40%er in the last 10 boxes from there.

Yeah I agree with much of your sentiment. I was at one of my main pickups recently (the only one I order 4 boxes/week from) and the other CRHer I run into often was there. He usually asks for all the boxes the branch has (not just the ones he orders) but they are on to him. The last time I was in, he was in front of me in line and one of the pro tellers called me over and asked if I wanted all 4 boxes right then. I said yes, but I also asked if the other fellow was able to get a box or two, and offered to give up one of mine to cover him if need be. It was not necessary they said, and handed over my boxes. ;D

If silver goes up to $50 again it will be interesting to see what happens to this hobby.

Coinsandfootball

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Namster just curious do you spread your dumps around? Also, do you roll them or use coin counters to get rid of them? BTW, nice score! :icon_thumleft:

SFBayArea I also read recently on here the Fee word come up I believe it was $3 bucks to order a box of halves. So far none of my banks have said anything to me about a Fee.

HH

OP
OP
namster

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coinsandfootball said:
Namster just curious do you spread your dumps around? Also, do you roll them or use coin counters to get rid of them? BTW, nice score! :icon_thumleft:

SFBayArea I also read recently on here the Fee word come up I believe it was $3 bucks to order a box of halves. So far none of my banks have said anything to me about a Fee.

HH

I live in a town with several banks each with several branches, so I spread it around. I rotate branches so they all dont see me every week. Also, when I am out of town on business I lug 200 pounds of coin with me to dump on the road. 20+ boxes does require some additional thought.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread