State Quarters

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
My wife went to the bank the last month to make rent deposits. While she was standing in line an older man came in and asked to see the manager he had something to show him. He had a little box in his hand like you would get from the Mint. Well the manager came out and the man opened the box. Inside was a new Gold Buffalo nickle he had gotten from the mint. She said it was beautiful.

Well they talked awhile about it and guy asked if his quarters where ready. The manager said yes they were all ready to wheel out. The manager went back inside, went threw a door and came back with a cart loaded with New Federal reserve state quarters. Not sure which state but they were still plastic strink wrapped.

My wife asked the teller about it and she said the old man comes in everytime new state quarters come in from the reserve and buys them all. From what my wife could see, there were around 250 rolls in a each package and 2 packages. At $10 a roll thats about $5000.00. Sure would have liked to see them trying to load that weight in a car or truck by hand.

I cannot imagine the old guy sorting threw all these to find errors. I guess there may be misstamped coins, strike errors, ect. But at his age I also cannot imagine him saving them for collecting values to go up much to offset what he could make leaving the money in an acoount or investing in old coins that are now seemingly going up fast.

Is there really that much of a mark up on newly made state quarters? $5000 seems to be alot of money to invest in newly make quarters. I am sure this guy is pretty smart about what he is doing, he did invest in a $800 nickel that seems to have double over the last few weeks. What am I missing here and should I be getting on the band wagon?

$5000 in quarters sure would fix me up for the winter hunting rolls.

Upvote 0

Showtime

Jul 4, 2006
Northern Virginia
First i don't think the mint produced a gold buffalo nickel. are you thinking of the Gold buffalo $50 piece, otherwise it was probably a gold plated 2005 nickel. The old man might be a dealer of some sort who pulls out perfect examples and errors for his shop or ebay and returns the rest. There really isn't any interest for me in that - I don't really collect errors and am only putting together a state P&d set as I run across them in every day life. But some people are crazy about their state quarters ::)

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of dealers on ebay pre-sell state quarters before they come out. Sometimes charge a dollar or two EACH plus shipping and ship them out when they get them. They will also presell rolls of them for double face value sometimes.

He is probably making some decent cash doing that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions