Mr. Silver Stash

Mar 3, 2012
The Constitution State
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wanted to share my experience with buying a bag out of an automatic coin counter machine.

Thought I was going to hit a potential good load of silver halves. I only found 2 40's in a $1000 bag. Paid cash at a bank, and was given a warning that it could be off. The machine has never miscounted my coins more that $1 per $1000, so I didnt worry about it.

Well I dumped those coins today and the bag was about $100 short! That ate up all my profits for the entire month. Buyer beware on those bags of coins.

If you have an established relationship, maybe you can make a case to the manager. I don't even have an account at this bank yet.

Apparently the banks have an ongoing account with the coin companies and they credit & debit their balance with them for overages & shortages, so the branches don't care if they are off in a particular bag.

Just a warning - if you think that bag in the machine is a "pot o' silver" - you might get short changed.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this topic has been brought up so many times in the past. This is the exact reason why people should not buy bags off the machine(my opinion of course), but hey, think of it this way: higher the risk, the higher the *potential* return.

Good luck to ya,
BuffaloBoy

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a known risk you take when you buy bags.

Two banks I buy bags from, they both run them through a second time to verify the count.

One doesnt, I have only got quarters off them and it didnt pay off.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Sorry to hear about the loss...I really am!

I'm sure you will handle this gracefully. Someone in our area pitched a fit about being shorted a few dollars on a bag, and now the bank does not allow anyone to buy bags.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not the person who would complain about being ripped off a few dollars once in a while, afterall, we all reap the benefits from this hobby, and it all comes back plus some :)

You'll walk into the bank and the teller will have 70 SOLID ROLLS OF 1964 HALF DOLLARS for ya :wink:

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The 70 solid rolls of 64s were found at the local Imagination Land Credit Union.

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most bank around here don t sell the bags anymore because people complaining they were shorted. thats a risk u take in this hobby. I 've got bags of dimes ( nothing ) quarters ( nothing ) befor I knew the machines rejected silver. than got a bag of halves....9 keeper , 4 canadian toonies....and a cash in of $998.50 ! I made out. 1 keeper was a 1964 and 8 40% . so I'll try to talk the tellers into selling me another .I'm not lucky enough to find 70 ROLLS OF 1964 SILVER !!

Stang1968

Dec 14, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Farchaus2k said:
sack0silver said:
The 70 solid rolls of 64s were found at the local Imagination Land Credit Union.

Do they offer free checking??

Now that's just silly. We all know banks don't offer new customers "Free" checking anymore. But what we can be sure of is that one of them somewhere had 70 solid rolls of 64s.

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and they have free fresh cookies all the time. !!

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
huricanesrul said:

LOL! banks here still offer free checking.

They also offer free coffee, cappuccino and cookies as well. I have never taken more than the free checking but it amazes me how awesome many of the banks around here are.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
huricanesrul said:

And gold wrapped "chocolates" that look like Ken halfs. Except, they are ken halves, all 1964s. I'm joining the CU tomorrow.

sack0silver

Feb 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Stang1968 said:
Farchaus2k said:
sack0silver said:

Now that's just silly. We all know banks don't offer new customers "Free" checking anymore. But what we can be sure of is that one of them somewhere had 70 solid rolls of 64s.

No fees, but they just started to cull silver, I think they are in league with Loomis. Yeah definite conspiracy.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do good with bags. And easy to check. No unwraping :thumbsup:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
sack0silver said:
Stang1968 said:
Farchaus2k said:
sack0silver said:

I think they are in league with Loomis.

or with Garda

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
TimZim said:
I do good with bags. And easy to check. No unwraping :thumbsup:

I also think that bags are good. When I will start CRH, I will probably be only searching bags.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread