Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Pics or it didn't happen", "Too much volume", and other ramblings

"Pics or it didn't happen"

First and foremost: A picture proves absolutely nothing! I could round up my entire stash, or buy a $1000 FV bag from APMEX, or just find some random picture off the internet, and claim one heck of a score with photographic "evidence." With or without the pic, its still fake. Unless you were there every step of the way with the person making the claim, you'll never know with 100% certainty if said claim is truthful or bogus...pic or no pic. Just like every internet forum that has ever existed or will exist in the future, we have no doubt had some bogus claims made on this forum. Some people, for whatever reason, like to "stir the pot" and make untruthful claims and/or comments just to get folks riled up. By responding to the "troll", you are actually just giving him/her what they want...attention. In effect, all you are doing is attracting more "trolling" posts. I am in no way even suggesting for one second that you believe every post is 100% accurate. However, I do suggest that if you believe a claim/statement/whatever to be bogus, just ignore it. If it is indeed a troll, he/she will quickly depart the forum when the desired result is not achieved. Should the claim turn out to indeed be accurate, you don't run the risk of losing a new and possibly valuable member of this forum. Put yourself in this person's shoes for just a second. Maybe you've been lurking on this forum for quite awhile, enjoying reading about others' finds, but never had a find yourself that you deemed worthy enough to post about. Finally you hit that big score. You post about it on your favorite forum and most everyone essentially calls you a liar. That would be very disappointing. Bottom line: "Calling someone out", regardless of whether the post is legit or not, never helps the situation.

"You're doing too much volume"

This accusation seems to be a relatively new phenomenon on this forum. I do not remember anyone making this complaint when I first started lurking here around 3 years ago, even though there were mega searchers back then as well. If it happened, I believe it was rare. Why the change? I have no idea, but here is the way I see it: Essentially, mind your own business. If you believe that searching 50+ boxes a week is somehow bad for the hobby overall, then you absolutely shouldn't search 50+ boxes weekly. However, while I respect your opinion, I don't think you have any right whatsoever to tell me that I can't if I so desire. For that matter, just what is that magic number of boxes weekly that constitutes "too much"? 50? 30? 114.2? Who gets to decide this number and why do they get to decide? 50 boxes weekly sounds like an insane number to most of us. However, to someone doing say 2 boxes per month, 8 boxes per week would be "insane". To someone doing 200 per week, 50 is nothing. Its all relative. How many boxes your fellow CRHer is doing should be of no concern to you. CRH at the level that you wish to do and/or can afford to do, and let others do the same.

I hate that these are the "hot topics" right now on this forum. I can't speak for the rest of you, but these are not the subjects I desire to log in and read about over and over and over. I sincerely hope we can discuss/debate these issues right here in this thread and put them to bed once and for all. :icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: "Pics or it didn't happen", "Too much volume", and other ramblings

Pic's or is didnt happen comments, I enjoy looking at coins found in the wild. Some will post pics some wont. Some post pics on every find, some just say they found some keepers today and a good story. You are absolutely correct about how does one know for sure?? At times you just have to use your own BS detector. I have no reason to doubt any post made by most of the people here, there is only 1 recently that I can think of that would draw this kind of ire from the community as a whole be it a troll, truth sayer or an over active imagination make your own call.

As for Volume, do what you can now because this hobby isnt going to last forever. No reason to hate on those who can afford and have time to do more than what you can be happy another is also finding enjoyment in the same thing you do.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well said thank you!!! 100% We are here to help each other and share finds. :icon_sunny: :thumbsup:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Very well said, ABM. Once again, you are the voice of reason on this forum.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

agreed

SilverSharpie

Mar 16, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other

I think everyone should do their part in depleting the system of silver, whether its by hunting 50 boxes or 5 rolls. I know if I don't, someone else will. Eventually, there won't be any left so you should grab your piece of the pie while you still can. The hobby isn't getting any younger, and with the price of silver surging, more and more join the ranks. One day you'll be able to tell your kids/grandkids etc... "Yeah, we found silver coins in circulation, even 50 years after its mintage." I doubt the next generation will be able to say that.

If you can run volume, more power to you. I think some people are green with envy, that's all.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The attitude of some towards others here has certainly changed since i started posting here over 5 yrs ago. Too much jealousy and greed toward others. Thank you for taking the time to post this ArkieBassMan. I couldn't have stated it better myself. :icon_thumleft:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's the internet, what do you expect. Trolls are a common nuisance with any public forum. Whether one chooses to take anything (or everything) at face value or not, who cares, in the long run it doesn't matter anyway. Whether you do 1 box a month or 500 boxes a week, it doesn't matter.
As long as your pile of silver, copper or whatever keeps growing that's the main thing.
Good post though. :thumbsup:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You hit it right on, and you're right, the newbies on here are not like they used to be- more arrogant and know-it-all. :dontknow:

BuffaloBoy
:icon_sunny:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

ArkieBassMan said:
"Pics or it didn't happen"

First and foremost: A picture proves absolutely nothing! I could round up my entire stash, or buy a $1000 FV bag from APMEX, or just find some random picture off the internet, and claim one heck of a score with photographic "evidence." With or without the pic, its still fake. Unless you were there every step of the way with the person making the claim, you'll never know with 100% certainty if said claim is truthful or bogus...pic or no pic. Just like every internet forum that has ever existed or will exist in the future, we have no doubt had some bogus claims made on this forum. Some people, for whatever reason, like to "stir the pot" and make untruthful claims and/or comments just to get folks riled up. By responding to the "troll", you are actually just giving him/her what they want...attention. In effect, all you are doing is attracting more "trolling" posts. I am in no way even suggesting for one second that you believe every post is 100% accurate. However, I do suggest that if you believe a claim/statement/whatever to be bogus, just ignore it. If it is indeed a troll, he/she will quickly depart the forum when the desired result is not achieved. Should the claim turn out to indeed be accurate, you don't run the risk of losing a new and possibly valuable member of this forum. Put yourself in this person's shoes for just a second. Maybe you've been lurking on this forum for quite awhile, enjoying reading about others' finds, but never had a find yourself that you deemed worthy enough to post about. Finally you hit that big score. You post about it on your favorite forum and most everyone essentially calls you a liar. That would be very disappointing. Bottom line: "Calling someone out", regardless of whether the post is legit or not, never helps the situation.

"You're doing too much volume"

This accusation seems to be a relatively new phenomenon on this forum. I do not remember anyone making this complaint when I first started lurking here around 3 years ago, even though there were mega searchers back then as well. If it happened, I believe it was rare. Why the change? I have no idea, but here is the way I see it: Essentially, mind your own business. If you believe that searching 50+ boxes a week is somehow bad for the hobby overall, then you absolutely shouldn't search 50+ boxes weekly. However, while I respect your opinion, I don't think you have any right whatsoever to tell me that I can't if I so desire. For that matter, just what is that magic number of boxes weekly that constitutes "too much"? 50? 30? 114.2? Who gets to decide this number and why do they get to decide? 50 boxes weekly sounds like an insane number to most of us. However, to someone doing say 2 boxes per month, 8 boxes per week would be "insane". To someone doing 200 per week, 50 is nothing. Its all relative. How many boxes your fellow CRHer is doing should be of no concern to you. CRH at the level that you wish to do and/or can afford to do, and let others do the same.

I hate that these are the "hot topics" right now on this forum. I can't speak for the rest of you, but these are not the subjects I desire to log in and read about over and over and over. I sincerely hope we can discuss/debate these issues right here in this thread and put them to bed once and for all. :icon_thumleft:

Very well said. I do sometimes request pics as they at least give some chance of a real find, while no pics may just mean that even the poster doesn't have the amount of coin.

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very good post, I agree there is too much bickering...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

its simple

coin roll hunting for silver used to be a poor mans version of "panning for silver" --like a old timey gold prospector with a pan sifting dirt for gold * -- then the rich "power players" hit the scene doing massive amounts of half sorting (many boxes worth) --which to small timers ( little panners) is like a huge mining company with high pressure hoses doing strip mining for gold -- in a very short a big timer "wipes out" pretty much any and all silver in a area ( silver in cirulation in a area is rather limited --even though a tiny bit gets released now and then as collection hit banks - for the most part big players dry up the market in a area.)

as always its the many poorer "little men" vs the few rich "big man" issue --and as usual --the richer folks typically get the better end of the deal.

SO FOLKS GET YOUR "SHARE" OF THE SILVER PIE WHILE THERES "PIE" STILL TO BE HAD. --NUFF SAID.

WE ALL LIKE TO SEE PHOTOS --OF HUGE SILVER STRIKES --YES WE DO --IT GIVES US HOPE THAT THERE IS STILL SOME HUGE PILE OF SILVER COINS JUST SITTING IN A BANK VAULT OUT THERE WAITING FOR ---ME!!!--ME!!! ME !!!

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

I've always been told "only believe half of what you see and a quarter of what you hear".

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is good news as my camera broke and i got my bank to order a bag of large dollars and it was all solid 2012 silver eagles!. :headbang:

coinz

Mar 14, 2011

I myself was lucky with 70 rolls of 90%, but it was 50 years ago when I was 14. Not as good any more. good luck all.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

coinz said:
I myself was lucky with 70 rolls of 90%, but it was 50 years ago when I was 14. Not as good any more. good luck all.

Did this actually happen?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

sagittarius98 said:
coinz said:

That would have been in the early 60's, so every roll of halves (as well as quarters, dimes and big dollar coins) would be solid 90%. Not a real surprise.

Jim

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

jim4silver said:
sagittarius98 said:
coinz said:

That would have been in the early 60's, so every roll of halves (as well as quarters, dimes and big dollar coins) would be solid 90%. Not a real surprise.

Jim
:laughing7: :laughing7: :thumbsup:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

jim4silver said:
sagittarius98 said:
coinz said:

Jim

I know, but I don't know if the poster actually CRH then

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

heh, I half wonder if one or more of the more recent posters here is Cards-n-Coins in disguise, disgusted at what happened to him, now trolling us all, just waiting to reveal himself. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread