Found a WEIRD penny, maybe an error? need some help please

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't post much on here, but I creep on many of you regularly. Most of the posts make me a little sick, it often makes me wonder why the fruits of my half searching have gone from somewhat decent up until about October or November 2011, and then to an at least 20 box streak of nothing but skunks... Very confusing to me, but oh well. I'm super jealous of many of your finds.

Anyway, this recent garbage streak has inspired me to purchase the Reydale (which is fantastic) and begin searching somewhere between $300-$500 a week in pennies...

Last week I found this thing, and I really don't know what to think of it...

I brought it to two coin shops, 1 guy offered me 5 bucks for it, and the other guy told me it could be worth a decent amount if I sent it to get graded/authenticated and it is actually legit..

I am thinking about doing that, but I figured I would post it up on here first, just to see what you folks thought of it, or if it would be a waste of my time/money sending it out... I probably will anyway, just was hoping for a little more info on it, I know a lot of you guys on here know an awful lot...

Here are the links to the pics on my photobucket, I have no idea how to post pictures on here...

IMG_0202.jpg picture by Uncleslick18 - Photobucket

Oh and by the way, any of you folks looking for bags, I have found that First Niagara bank has coin machines in their back room or whatever, and are more than happy to sell the bags to me (at least the two near my town are)

I have only acquired penny bags from them so far (5 between the 2 branches) but they told me that they often have other denominations as well, I planned on swinging in there next week to try to get some dimes or halves.

I know there is lots of talk around here on people getting bags, so I just figured it would help someone out, if there is a First Niagara branch near you, swing in there and ask, can't hurt right?

Upvote 0

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; It sure is weird. It may have been done intentionally though. The front does not appear to be consistent with the reverse. Just a guess. Thin you need to bring it to a dealer. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

CRHnut

Greenie
Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! It appears you may (may) have a mint error known as "Brockage". This kind of error occurs when a struck coin remains on either die after striking, and impresses its image onto the next blank planchet as it is struck leaving a negative or mirror image. If it is genuine it could be worth in the $25-$30 range. However, as Barker said, the obverse and reverse don't go together, so I would definitely recommend having it looked at by an expert.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats actually what the guy said at the first coin shop i took it to, that it was a brockage... then he offered me 5 bucks for it, which i passed on.

I mean at the end of the day I paid 1 cent for it, so i dont really have that high of hopes...

I just thought it was kind of cool.

Would it be worth sending to get graded?

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
It looks like the reverse was stamped, but there was no obverse die for the other side, causing the indention and the memorial image on both sides. A few may have gotten out and bagged before they noticed the die was missing. If that is the case, it should be worth much more than $5 to $10 - much more.

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi! It appears you may (may) have a mint error known as "Brockage". This kind of error occurs when a struck coin remains on either die after striking, and impresses its image onto the next blank planchet as it is struck leaving a negative or mirror image. If it is genuine it could be worth in the $25-$30 range. However, as Barker said, the obverse and reverse don't go together, so I would definitely recommend having it looked at by an expert.

I will concurr with CRHnut here, except, hold on to the coin, read and become the expert.

CRHnut

Greenie
Jan 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats actually what the guy said at the first coin shop i took it to, that it was a brockage... then he offered me 5 bucks for it, which i passed on.

I mean at the end of the day I paid 1 cent for it, so i dont really have that high of hopes...

I just thought it was kind of cool.

Would it be worth sending to get graded?
Send it to ANACS. The submission fee is something like $15 or so. Worth it if the coin may be in the $30 range. Just my opinion!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions