700 mile trip for some coins???

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes.
Anytime you can pick up some possible silver, you do it. The extra weight of any coins will have little, if any, affect on your gas mileage.

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how true, but I read that every 100 pounds affects gas mileage by 2%.

So if I bought say 8 boxes and brought them back 700 miles, that would reduce my 21 mpg to about 20. So losing ~2 gallons of gas ($10) for 8 boxes.. I think that sounds right.. Not a bad deal..

Brush64

Oct 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That may very well be true...but c'mon...there is no such thing as totally free silver. One way or another, you are going to spend some of your time, effort, or money in acquiring it. So, if you're driving right by some banks anyways...why not stop in and see if they have any coins? Plus, any reduction in gas mileage can be made up when your new-found Ag rises in value (which it will in the near future).
Good luck!!

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
That may very well be true...but c'mon...there is no such thing as totally free silver. One way or another, you are going to spend some of your time, effort, or money in acquiring it. So, if you're driving right by some banks anyways...why not stop in and see if they have any coins? Plus, any reduction in gas mileage can be made up when your new-found Ag rises in value (which it will in the near future).
Good luck!!
I get free silver- From the tellers at my mothers bank- They deliver the silver rejected by the coin counting machine to my mother. My mother delivers it to me along with a sandwich and a cold drink- All for free-

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just placed a nice big order so I will be lugging back some extra weight! Maybe I will hit a nice vein where no CRH has ventured before..

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it sad that I am mapping out my gas stops and calling the banks in the area to put away halves for me? On the phone now..

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swear though, I'm not planning my trips around bank stops.....

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it definitely effects the gas mileage for me by 15-20% , the weight isnt evenly distributed either. But I love my little diesel, even with 15-20% reduction I am still getting 35+ MPG. If the wife and I go road tripping it gets 45+ on the interstate.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's not be cheap... heck, that extra 100 pounds could be 10 pounds of silver. Go for it!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck!!! I hope you hit a nice silver vein down in the sunshine state!!! my sources told me that florida is dry for halves, but that also depends many factors like area, distributer, and whatnot.

Buff

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up 8 boxes from a BoA in Northern FL. I think they are Garda because I saw a Garda truck outside. The rolls are black - I don't think I have had much luck with black rolls. When I get home Wednesday night, I will report totals...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I have are them black and white wrappers in my area, I recantly suffered a 30-box skunk streak over the span of 4 months. Good luck!

OP
OP
koala33

koala33

Apr 29, 2011
Northeast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I went through 4 boxes and they were all skunks. I took the other 4 boxes sealed back to a local bank because I didn't feel like searching more skunks - besides I have coins to pickup today :)

If you are in the DC area and feel like searching FL halves (probably skunks), let me know and I will tell you which bank they are at.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I went through 4 boxes and they were all skunks. I took the other 4 boxes sealed back to a local bank because I didn't feel like searching more skunks - besides I have coins to pickup today :)

If you are in the DC area and feel like searching FL halves (probably skunks), let me know and I will tell you which bank they are at.

I want to know, I like finding those skunks.:laughing7: With all seriousness, I don't think I'm going to FL any time soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread