Tuesdays road trip (the end)

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK
Well today was the final day of my big hunting expedition for halves. Hit several banks and ended up with only $536.50 in halves. Final count was 17-40%, 3-64 JFK, 1-Franklin, and one 1981S Proof. Not to shabby. Best surprise for the day is after I got home and dumped out my bad full of rolls I found a full roll of SBA's ($25). I know it was mistaken for a roll of halves but I don't know at which bank cause I dump all the rolls into the same bag when I get in the truck. Sorry no picks for today, Wife took the camera to school.

Unfortunately the money that I have been "playing with" was and is ear marked for other things and now must be spent on boring stuff like bills >:( . I hope to make one more hard run next month when I head south for deer season.

I am going to the city in the morning to sell my hoard. I think I here a new pinpointer in my future ;D.

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a pretty profitable trip! WTG! Getting a roll of SBA's by accident is definitely a new one. Somewhere, a teller was $15 short.

Can't you tell the bill collectors to hold off a few weeks? There's some serious silver out there and that takes precedence!

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
Silver is at $11.71 today,not too bad. So you're going to sell all those Franklins and Walkers too, I wouldn't be able to part with them. I do sell my 40% silver halves when I have a good amount and sell when silver is higher,but I don't sell my 90% silver halves. Good luck tomorrow,hope you get a decent price for everything.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
You ended up with some great numbers. And WOW $25 dollars in Susan's as a bonus. As far as which bank. Doesn't matter they will all stick you if they can. Great to see them get stuck. I would say that some poor teller would get a chewing and perhaps have to pay out of pocket. And some teller's don't deserve that. But I sure have ran across some real arsches here, so great for you...pity on them LOL.

Rev

OP
OP
mr.theman

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK
I wish I didn't have to sell but things come up that can't be ignored and the extra money will really help out a lot. But on an up note if silver doesn't tank tonight there might be enough left over to go towards a new pinpointer ;D.

As for the roll of SBAs I think I know which bank it came from but can't be sure. If its the bank I am thinking of the teller was really put off by the fact that I had interupted the book she was reading. She looked on her sheet at said they had $380 and then went to the vault and came back with 38 rolls. So somewhere down the line who knows how long ago this roll was entered into the system as halves so it won't make her drawer short today. This is the same teller that was counting out $7.50 in loose halves out of her drawer and snatched up an off colored one and looked at the date......and then set it down right on top of a 1968 :D. Had to try hard to keep from laughing at that one.

HH
Mr.T

OP
OP
mr.theman

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK
Well its a done deal. I got $1.46 each on the 40% and 3.88 each on the 90%. For a total of $654.00. Not a bad profit for having so much fun over the last month ;).

Here is a pic of the whole hord that I took incase I never do this good again.

HH
Mr.T

100_1409.jpg

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great post Mr. T! You've given us all a very good example of how a decent profit can be made in roll hunting, even in the short term. You've also shown us what to expect if and when we choose to sell. Thanks for a valuable addition to our little forum!

OP
OP
mr.theman

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK
I sold to a coin dealer. He was a very nice gentleman and we talked for quite awhile about different coins and roll hunting. He was quite a pleasure to do business with.

It pays to call around and get quotes. I called several different dealers here in Oklahoma and most quotes on the 40% ranges anywhere from $0.60 to $1.25 each. The quotes also varied greatly on the 90%.

Thanks for all of the replies.

HH
Mr.T

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
Did you sell the Walkers and the Franklins for that melt value only, or only just the 64s? I think you should have been able to get some sort of premium on them. I think even a full roll of mixed dates would net you more than 4 a piece elsewhere. Fellas, correct me if I am wrong? Other than that, Im pleased to see folks are making big silver scores. Gets my blood moving. :)

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
You received a really good price for the 40% silver halves. I've never been able to sell mine at that amount each. I figured that you made a PROFIT of $527.00!!!!! EXCELLENT RESULTS!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread