Huge dissapointment

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am a cashier at a supermarket. I make sure to check the coins in the drawer with the hope of finding a special coin, especially silver. Up until today I have only found the occasional bicentennial quarter and wheat pennies. Today I was looking through my drawer and saw a special coin sitting there in the drawer. I saw a nickel with a buffalo on it. And it was in great condition too. I put it to the side and put a nickel of my own into the drawer. Then I took a closer look at the nickel and was very dissapointed when I flipped it over and saw that it wasn't in fact a buffalo nickel, but rather a 2005. Probably some memorial coin. I haven't seen it before, or if I have it was before I became interested in coins. Guess I'll just have to keep hunting.

Upvote 0

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
What you want to look for is this

buffalo-nickel-mound-type.jpg

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Look at all those 2005 Buffaloes for what looks like a spear going thru it's back. Called a speared buffalo, they are out there.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the idea of bringing back old coin designs, but they always fall short. The relief on new nickels is terrible, it's almost like a thin black outline compared to the texture that you find on an old buffalo nickel (just look at the pic that was posted a few replies above this one). On that note the new nickels I think are terribly ugly, the side view ain't flattering jefferson at all. I mean, just because we use cheap metals in todays coins does that mean we have to use cheap dies too?

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya as soon as I got home I lookes up the real buffalo nickel to see what I was looking for. Being new to the coin hunting I didn't realize that they made replicas. Oh well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread