Should I Dump at My Pick-Up Bank?

Infector101

Mar 20, 2012
Lake Wallenpaupack, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a new bank that will order as many boxes for me as I want and they also have a coin counting machine. The teller told me that the easiest thing for her is for me to just dump into the machine, bring her the slip from the machine, and get new boxes; I want to keep her happy since she's doing me a huge favor and not charging me the fee for ordering boxes. The bank itself does not service the machine at all and is only serviced by the coin processing company (not sure which it is). The problem I have is my old dump bank seems to be getting annoyed with me. The last time I was there every teller surrounded the counter and berated me with questions; they also complained about getting halves. Should I dump at my pick-up bank, try and find a new dump bank, or just keep dumping at my current dump bank. Thanks for your help, everyone.

Edit: I do not have an account at my new pick-up bank (I think I will open one since I'm moving near there this summer). I do have an account at my dump bank (Wells Fargo) and I'm upset with how I've been treated since I've had an account with them since 2006.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

red89

Feb 28, 2012
'Murica
Primary Interest:
Other
If you don’t have an account at the pickup bank you don’t want to bother them at all, if they are ordering you coins without an account they are already doing you a huge favor. I’d say keep dumping at your old dump bank/banks until they start charging a fee, then look for a new dump bank. Whoever services their coin machines probably stocks their coins as well when they order them. Sure you won’t get back all of your dumps but if you dump there long enough you will probably start having more and more of your dumps accumulate in their stock pile of change. That’s just my opinion though.

F

Farchaus2k

ou should NEVER dump where you pick-up. You would be dumping literally into your own supply. Why would you want to keep searching the same clad week after week? Also, it's just bad etiquette. You should find some other dump banks in your area. That is your best bet.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a new bank that will order as many boxes for me as I want and they also have a coin counting machine. The teller told me that the easiest thing for her is for me to just dump into the machine, bring her the slip from the machine, and get new boxes; I want to keep her happy since she's doing me a huge favor and not charging me the fee for ordering boxes. The bank itself does not service the machine at all and is only serviced by the coin processing company (not sure which it is). The problem I have is my old dump bank seems to be getting annoyed with me. The last time I was there every teller surrounded the counter and berated me with questions; they also complained about getting halves. Should I dump at my pick-up bank, try and find a new dump bank, or just keep dumping at my current dump bank. Thanks for your help, everyone.

Edit: I do not have an account at my new pick-up bank (I think I will open one since I'm moving near there this summer). I do have an account at my dump bank (Wells Fargo) and I'm upset with how I've been treated since I've had an account with them since 2006.

Really, did you read the rules of CRH???????????????? Of course you can dump at your order bank, all of us here do, it is quick and painless and the best part is when you ask for CWR they always have them for you. It is a win/win.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dump at your pickup bank, please do. PLEASE DO!
we all do it, WE ALL DO!
don't just go once a week, go 4-5 times a week, sometimes twice a day! REALLY, WE REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY DO!
Time for my applesauce... :occasion18::occasion16::munky2:

Last edited:

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
I pick up at a credit union and dump at Wells Fargo. I get the same type of reaction from the tellers at Wells Fargo. They ask a bunch of silly questions and if it isn't busy they all huddle around me...I just tell them I search for mint errors. I have a blank penny planchet in my wallet if they ask more questions. That is enough to show them that I'm not a silver hunter, and that usually makes them less angry at me. Worst case, if a Wells Fargo cuts me off, I take my home loan, and $400 in interest per month, to some other bank. I don't think a teller wants to be responsible for $400 loss in revenue for the corperate machine that is Wells Fargo....

In short, don't worry about the nosey women at Wells Fargo. They have nothing better to do with their day anyway...

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I was there every teller surrounded the counter and berated me with questions; they also complained about getting halves.

What you need to do is prepare for thier visit while you are at the coin machine. The night before eat a bunch of mexican food and drink some beer. While they are questioning you just let a big one. Then say out loud "OK which one of you just farted" See how long they stay around.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
no . rule # 1 and #2 of CRHing --- and life in general --do not dump where you eat ( or get your coins from) and you do not return your just searched coins to the same bank you got them from either -- dumping at a "pick up' bank" =-even if the coins are from "another" bank will make your "pick up" bank folks think your just " returning" the coins they got for you .--which to a bank empolyees makes it seeem like you just like to "work" them for no good reason. -- you will become real unpopular very quickly in most cases if you do that.

Last edited:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the first 3 months of CRHing I did not dump at my main pickup. They, suddenly, one of my other pickups went completely dry while the boxes from the bank I was dumping into were paying out big time. Now I dump into all of them. I have marked coins and I am not seeing very many of them return, so in my area it seems to matter little where coin is dumped. It appears that some things that are accepted as conventional wisdom in CRHing do not hold true universally.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
LOL should i poor fire on gas , should i poke the bear, or the real question on how can i help ruin this hobby?

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: I'm from the school that you don't dump where you pickup your coins. Eventually you will be getting your dumps back. Since you have a account at your current dump bank (Wells Fargo), they have no right to give you a hard time about you giving them your coins. I do have a questions. When you bring your dumps in, do you cash it out or deposit it into your account? You might have to do it as a deposit & when you need the money to get your next pickup, you might than withdraw the money out to get your next pickup. Also is there another Wells Fargo branch around where you live? You might need to split your dumps among different branches if you are able to. My last bit of advice is start looking around in your area for additional dump banks. You may eventually need one.

Good Luck & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread