First time searching halves...

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Adventures in CRH

I've been skunked on the last $800 worth of dimes that I searched, and after calling all around I finally found a remote branch of my pick-up bank that had some halves in the vault already.

So, I stroll into that far-away branch yesterday after work to pick up $200 in halves. Vault manager says that a guy regularly comes in to pick up boxes of halves, these are his orders for this week. But he hasn't been in yet. So after getting them out of the vault she breaks open a box and gives me the $200 worth.

I immediately think that I've stumbled across another CRHer's path, and start to feel bad for dipping into his box. So, if that's the case and you are on this forum... my bad, bro. :blackbeard:

Found two 40%ers in that $200 worth: 1966 and 1967. Not too shabby for my first foray into halves.

I've gotten another branch of this certain bank to order me boxes of halves which I pick up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a box of halves yesterday, only one lone 40%er in there: 1967.

Also picked up a box of dimes, only got halfway through it last night before I stopped and went to bed. The rolls that I did get through were all dated 2012.

EDIT: All but one roll of the dimes were dated 2012. Skunked.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up $250 in dimes today, $190 worth of MWR and $60 worth of CWR. One keeper found in the MWR: 1958D.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a box of halves and a box of dimes yesterday, skunked on both boxes. Boo!

EDIT: dumped the halves and dimes today, snagged a 1965 40%er from the teller's tray!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skunked on a box of halves + $250 worth of MWR of halves. Bummer.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
You usually CRH dimes right? I haven't been able to try dimes yet. Have you had any success randomly purchasing rolls from banks or do you mainly do boxes?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the experienced dime hunters will tell you that boxes are more consistent (skunk to about 7 at most, avg. 1-2), but with customer wrapped rolls you can score big and even hit a solid roll sometimes (I haven't found one yet but I guess they're out there). Most of the time I ask for rolled dimes from the bank I just get rolls that came out of boxes anyway, so might as well get the whole box. people go to coinstar and bring less coin to the banks these days.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I usually do dimes. I do about even with CWR vs. boxes/MWR of dimes.

Just started really hitting the halves hard.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a box of halves and a box of nickels yesterday. Skunked on the halves, haven't gone through the nickels yet.

EDIT: no silver in the nickels, only thing worthwhile was a 1939 with no mint mark.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a box of halves on my lunch break, found one 40%er: 1966.

Five-box skunk streak broken!

Also found a 1957 Roosevelt in the reject tray when I was dumping the halves!

:unhappysmiley:

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
TheMastermind said:
Picked up a box of halves on my lunch break, found one 40%er: 1966.

Five-box skunk streak broken!

Also found a 1957 Roosevelt in the reject tray when I was dumping the halves!

:unhappysmiley:

Congrats on the broken skunk streak. Any silver is good silver! Wish the banks near me had counting machines so I could check reject trays.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up two boxes of dimes after work. First box had one keeper: 1963. Second box will be searched tomorrow.

EDIT: Second box of dimes was a skunk.

Silver is few and far between for me in late April/May.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another box of halves, another lone 40%er, another 1966. If it isn't a skunk, one per box seems to be the norm for me.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumped the halves from yesterday, found a 1950 Roosevelt in the reject tray. Nice!

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
TheMastermind said:
Dumped the halves from yesterday, found a 1950 Roosevelt in the reject tray. Nice!

I need to start hitting banks with counting machines. I think there's one about 15-20 minutes away. Congrats on the random reject tray find.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a lot of luck with reject tray finds, especially with this one branch of my dump bank. Seems like I find something either in the coin counter's reject tray or the teller's tray every time I go in there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread