First time searching halves...

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Adventures in CRH

I've been skunked on the last $800 worth of dimes that I searched, and after calling all around I finally found a remote branch of my pick-up bank that had some halves in the vault already.

So, I stroll into that far-away branch yesterday after work to pick up $200 in halves. Vault manager says that a guy regularly comes in to pick up boxes of halves, these are his orders for this week. But he hasn't been in yet. So after getting them out of the vault she breaks open a box and gives me the $200 worth.

I immediately think that I've stumbled across another CRHer's path, and start to feel bad for dipping into his box. So, if that's the case and you are on this forum... my bad, bro. :blackbeard:

Found two 40%ers in that $200 worth: 1966 and 1967. Not too shabby for my first foray into halves.

I've gotten another branch of this certain bank to order me boxes of halves which I pick up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OtraVez

Aug 14, 2011
Akron, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searched through $700 worth of dimes last night, $450 in CWR and a box. Was skunked on the box. Pulled two keepers out of the CWR:

1952D
1963D

Dumped the dimes today on my lunch break, on my way to pick up a box of halves. There was a guy in front of me dumping his change. Apparently, he had an Ike in his change that the machine wouldn't take. So when it was my turn to dump the machine wouldn't run right because the Ike kept jingling around in the machinery with no place to go. Lady came over and pulled out the Ike, gave it to me and said, "The machine doesn't take these."

After I dumped my dimes, I walked up to the counter with the slip from the machine to get my cash. Noticed two Kennedy halves in the teller's tray and could see one of them had a silver edge. I asked if I could trade that Ike in for them. She obliged and I got myself a 1967 40%er!

HAHA you sound totally hooked! Welcome and happy hunting!

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up $100 worth of MWR of dimes today on my lunch break. Skunked.

Went to dump the dimes at my favorite dump bank before picking up a box of halves, two kids were ahead of me at the coin counter. Heard the very pleasing jingle of some silver fall into the reject tray as they were dumping. I was saying to myself, "please don't check the tray, please don't check the tray"... and they didn't! Went up to dump my dimes, pulled the coins from the tray first, and snagged myself:

1953D Roosevelt
1964 Roosevelt
1964 Washington Quarter

8-)

Gonna search through those halves in a little bit... skunked.

Last edited:

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
fingerscrossed said:
does it mean you always roll them?

Haven't bought my first box of halves yet and I've only been picking up CWRs so I just re-roll them. It's still a pain though.
I believe only two banks have machines in my state. TD Bank and BB&T. Both are quite far from my work and home. Plus I don't have accounts at either. I did visit a BB&T yesterday and saw one of the coin machines but I couldn't figure out where the reject tube was. People were starting to look at me wondering why I was messing with the machine.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I did visit a BB&T yesterday and saw one of the coin machines but I couldn't figure out where the reject tube was. People were starting to look at me wondering why I was messing with the machine.

You can just ask a teller, some people also wanted to know before.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a box of dimes on my lunch break, found a 1963D Roosevelt.

hyperHunter

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plus I don't have accounts at either. I did visit a BB&T yesterday and saw one of the coin machines but I couldn't figure out where the reject tube was. People were starting to look at me wondering why I was messing with the machine.

If I'm correct, you're hunting in NOVA, right? BB&T machines in the area don't have reject bin. I guess there must be another bin inside the machine that collects non-us coins. They also have a magnet on the feeder to catch non-us coins right off the bat. I posted about this kind of machine in different threads. The most important thing is to check each coin and make sure there's no damage. Damaged coins will put it to a complete stop and most of the time tellers won't be able to unjam the machine. We don't want this situation to happen too often :)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
If I'm correct, you're hunting in NOVA, right? BB&T machines in the area don't have reject bin. I guess there must be another bin inside the machine that collects non-us coins. They also have a magnet on the feeder to catch non-us coins right off the bat. I posted about this kind of machine in different threads. The most important thing is to check each coin and make sure there's no damage. Damaged coins will put it to a complete stop and most of the time tellers won't be able to unjam the machine. We don't want this situation to happen too often :)

He hunts around Bmore.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two boxes of dimes last night, pulled a 1964D from one. The other was a skunk.

I think I might need to find a new pick-up bank. I use TD as my dump bank, and noticed a Garda truck parked out front picking up coins. When I went to pick up my dime boxes at my pick-up bank, at a different time than I usually do, there was a Garda truck dropping off boxes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skunked on another box of dimes. So, this week I searched four boxes of dimes and only pulled two keepers. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skunked on another box of halves + $250 worth of MWR halves. Although I found something peculiar in a roll last night...

I found a 1971 with a solid silver edge. It rings kinda like silver when I compared it to a 40%er, and it sounds different than a definitely-clad 1971 half. So, I don't know what gives. I'm gonna visit my buddy who has a scale to weigh it. I'll try to post a picture of it tonight.

Also, snagged a 1963 Roosevelt from the reject tray when I went to dump the halves.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I've added a new pick-up bank. Not just a new branch, but a completely different bank altogether. Picked up $450 worth of CWR of dimes on my lunch break. Hopefully I can hit a vein with this bank and score something big.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread