First time searching halves...

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Adventures in CRH

I've been skunked on the last $800 worth of dimes that I searched, and after calling all around I finally found a remote branch of my pick-up bank that had some halves in the vault already.

So, I stroll into that far-away branch yesterday after work to pick up $200 in halves. Vault manager says that a guy regularly comes in to pick up boxes of halves, these are his orders for this week. But he hasn't been in yet. So after getting them out of the vault she breaks open a box and gives me the $200 worth.

I immediately think that I've stumbled across another CRHer's path, and start to feel bad for dipping into his box. So, if that's the case and you are on this forum... my bad, bro. :blackbeard:

Found two 40%ers in that $200 worth: 1966 and 1967. Not too shabby for my first foray into halves.

I've gotten another branch of this certain bank to order me boxes of halves which I pick up tomorrow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Welcome! This is an ultra hot issue here. Do what you want. My opinion is that you buy all that is offered, no worries. You intended no malice. Start ordering from this branch. Sounds like a winner! HH

projJakarta

Jan 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't dip into others unless they have been sitting in the vault for weeks and no one come forward to take them. I just don't feel ethically right to snipe the boxes. It takes time and efforts to order and plan things out. I think we all should respect others. You don't know how disappoint it is until it happens to you.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
My opinion is that if you ask for coins and the teller says they are available, you are wholly in the right to buy them.

If a home range hunter has a problem with that happening, the tellers are to blame and should be lectured to, not the wandering hunter. There is no duty to ask whether someone else might want the coins offered to you.

When you go to pick up your boxes and the teller tells you that they broke one open to sell part of it to another customer, nip that issue in the bud and say that you wish that they'd have checked with you first because you were really counting on them honoring their commitment to your coin order. Suggest that next time, they offer to order some for that wandering customer.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never seen anyone's name stamped on a coin....

projJakarta

Jan 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Technically, I would agree with many of you on this. Anyone can buy up anything they want from a bank. However, ethically, I just don't feel right. If I don't order, I won't take them no matter if I hit a good batch.

An incident like this happened to me couple times at a particular branch a while back. I know how it feel to not having anything to search for an entire week (you all know how addict this hobby is, right?) considering I was the one who took time to order them (in person). Oh, well...at the end of the day, I stopped ordering from this branch and moved on.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
My thought is it is on the bank for offering them up. I'm not going to try to intentionally snipe someone else's boxes, but if a bank offers to sell them to me I won't say no.

Like madwest said, I'd be mad at the tellers for selling my boxes, not the other hunter for buying them. Doubly so if I was a regular that always picked up promptly.

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mastermind's "voice" sounds somewhat familiar, perhaps he is an old friend of the Forum? Anyone else agree/disagree? Any guesses as to who he is?

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stumbled across this forum by accident, only a month or so ago after seeing a thread on CRH on the Kitco forums. I can assure you, any likeness to a past forum member is strictly coincidental.

I picked up my first full box of halves on my lunch break today, no enders. I'm gonna search through the rolls in about an hour when I get home from work. I'll let you guys know how I do.

EDIT: Found two 40%ers, 1967 and 1968. Also picked up $200 worth of CWR dimes, found a 1964 Roosevelt.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searched through $700 worth of dimes last night, $450 in CWR and a box. Was skunked on the box. Pulled two keepers out of the CWR:

1952D
1963D

Dumped the dimes today on my lunch break, on my way to pick up a box of halves. There was a guy in front of me dumping his change. Apparently, he had an Ike in his change that the machine wouldn't take. So when it was my turn to dump the machine wouldn't run right because the Ike kept jingling around in the machinery with no place to go. Lady came over and pulled out the Ike, gave it to me and said, "The machine doesn't take these."

After I dumped my dimes, I walked up to the counter with the slip from the machine to get my cash. Noticed two Kennedy halves in the teller's tray and could see one of them had a silver edge. I asked if I could trade that Ike in for them. She obliged and I got myself a 1967 40%er!

Last edited:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's exactly why I pick up my boxes the same day they come in, I highly doubt any of my tellers would sell my rolls since they know I'll be in within an hour or two

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumped the halves from last night on my lunch break today, saw four silver-edged halves in a sea of red in the teller's tray when I was getting my cash. Asked if I could have those halves instead of two dollar bills. She said yes, and gave me:

1967 x 2
1969 x 2

8-)

Proceeded to my pick-up bank for $75 in CWR dimes, $190 in CWR halves, and $81 in loose halves in an envelope that "some kid" brought in. Sounded rather promising when I shook it.

Can't wait to get home and start huntin'! :skullflag:

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skunked on the envelope of halves as well as the $190 in CWR.

Pulled one dime from the $75 in CWR: 1964.

The dime and the four 40%ers from the teller's tray made this a good day.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you're still doin pretty good less than two months in. My first year was real slow compared to now, I didn't have the system down yet.

OP
OP
TheMastermind

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. This forum has helped me to hit the ground running. Very educational, the first two things that I gleaned from this site was to get a system down and establish a good rapport with the tellers and managers of one's pick-up banks.

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am fairly new to coin roll hunting one of the banks i visit on a regular basis always gives me hand wrapped half dollar rolls. is this a good thing?

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am fairly new to coin roll hunting one of the banks i visit on a regular basis always gives me hand wrapped half dollar rolls. is this a good thing?

Can't say.. it's a bad thing until proven otherwise. Thing is, buy them all and hopefully prove otherwise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread