more new than I thought I was.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Apr 2012
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

more new than I thought I was.

Hey guys. I've been lurking CRH for about a couple months or so and have gone through mine / family members' hoarded coins as a beginning move. Discovered I really really enjoy looking for valuable coins! I keep all copper pennies, and anything of significantly more value than face value (I use Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth?) ...

Obviously a lot of you order boxes of coins from banks. I was all ready to go and order some myself, didn't figure there was much to it. I called three banks, mine and two others. Mine has a coin counter with a 3% fee (better than coinstar, but I decided to look elsewhere) Suntrust left me with the impression that they sold boxes and sent coins off to be counted by brinks and that I could come in today and order some. When I got there, the manager told me that they only allow businesses to do that and that I couldn't order boxes of coins... and that they DON'T do ship off coins to be counted because there is a fee. So, in essence, basically the complete opposite of what the first manager told me over the phone. Frustrated, I went to a community bank and they don't do any of it, except ordering boxes but they have to order a lot at a time (and I guess they don't because they're so small)... I was kind of shocked and felt really stupid that nobody I went to sold boxes (I'm so frustrated, I get off work at 5 but most banks close at 6 on Fridays, I decided to give up after those 3). So obviously, I'm more of a total newbie than I thought I was.

Just wondering, do you have to have a business account with most banks? and also which banks actually let you order boxes?

I apologize in advance if this has been asked already... I've scanned through several pages and haven't seen anything regarding 101-level questions, except conspiracy theories about the tellers pulling silver and etc.

us
    Mr.

Jan 2012
    Yourtown
    Garrett
    44 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    welcome to the forum, some banks will order, some will not, some will charge a fee, some want coins in bags some want them wrapped, it all about communication with the vault teller.
    If it were easy and we scored keepers everytime it would be called Coin Roll Picking not Coin Roll Hunting.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    1638 times
    Quote Originally Posted by redpill View Post
    Hey guys. I've been lurking CRH for about a couple months or so and have gone through mine / family members' hoarded coins as a beginning move. Discovered I really really enjoy looking for valuable coins! I keep all copper pennies, and anything of significantly more value than face value.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked already... I've scanned through several pages and haven't seen anything regarding 101-level questions, except conspiracy theories about the tellers pulling silver and etc.
    I know it can be easy to overlook, but there is a "Beginner's Guide" with 189 responses that is the very first thread in the forum. Welcome to the madness. I would advise you to start slow. Buy $10 in cents/dimes/etc. Demonstrate a responsibility to the bank tellers in your hunting behavior (Not dumping where you buy). Perhaps, take a late lunch and do your coin buying in the late afternoon when the banks are less busy. Don't go in there at 5:30 pm on a Friday after everyone has gotten paid the day before. Build a rapport with the head teller. Work on up to a box of cents. Banks can always spare a box of cents. Again, don't dump where you pick-up. Work on up to dimes, and then ask for halves.

us
    Mar 2008
    Michigan
    2 times
    Red

It took me 3 or 4 months to get rolling but after hitting almost every bank in Southeastern Michigan I was able to get a system in place that worked for me. I live in a matropolis so there may be an advantage over living in a small community.

Is ther a big city nearbyyou? If so try there.
    CRH Mojo "Thanks For buying American"

Sponsored Links