more new than I thought I was.

redpill

Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys. I've been lurking CRH for about a couple months or so and have gone through mine / family members' hoarded coins as a beginning move. Discovered I really really enjoy looking for valuable coins! I keep all copper pennies, and anything of significantly more value than face value (I use Current Melt Value Of Coins - How Much Is Your Coin Worth?) ...

Obviously a lot of you order boxes of coins from banks. I was all ready to go and order some myself, didn't figure there was much to it. I called three banks, mine and two others. Mine has a coin counter with a 3% fee (better than coinstar, but I decided to look elsewhere) Suntrust left me with the impression that they sold boxes and sent coins off to be counted by brinks and that I could come in today and order some. When I got there, the manager told me that they only allow businesses to do that and that I couldn't order boxes of coins... and that they DON'T do ship off coins to be counted because there is a fee. So, in essence, basically the complete opposite of what the first manager told me over the phone. Frustrated, I went to a community bank and they don't do any of it, except ordering boxes but they have to order a lot at a time (and I guess they don't because they're so small)... I was kind of shocked and felt really stupid that nobody I went to sold boxes (I'm so frustrated, I get off work at 5 but most banks close at 6 on Fridays, I decided to give up after those 3). So obviously, I'm more of a total newbie than I thought I was.

Just wondering, do you have to have a business account with most banks? and also which banks actually let you order boxes?

I apologize in advance if this has been asked already... I've scanned through several pages and haven't seen anything regarding 101-level questions, except conspiracy theories about the tellers pulling silver and etc. :)

Upvote 0

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to the forum, some banks will order, some will not, some will charge a fee, some want coins in bags some want them wrapped, it all about communication with the vault teller.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Hey guys. I've been lurking CRH for about a couple months or so and have gone through mine / family members' hoarded coins as a beginning move. Discovered I really really enjoy looking for valuable coins! I keep all copper pennies, and anything of significantly more value than face value.

I apologize in advance if this has been asked already... I've scanned through several pages and haven't seen anything regarding 101-level questions, except conspiracy theories about the tellers pulling silver and etc. :)

I know it can be easy to overlook, but there is a "Beginner's Guide" with 189 responses that is the very first thread in the forum. Welcome to the madness. I would advise you to start slow. Buy $10 in cents/dimes/etc. Demonstrate a responsibility to the bank tellers in your hunting behavior (Not dumping where you buy). Perhaps, take a late lunch and do your coin buying in the late afternoon when the banks are less busy. Don't go in there at 5:30 pm on a Friday after everyone has gotten paid the day before. Build a rapport with the head teller. Work on up to a box of cents. Banks can always spare a box of cents. Again, don't dump where you pick-up. Work on up to dimes, and then ask for halves.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Red

It took me 3 or 4 months to get rolling but after hitting almost every bank in Southeastern Michigan I was able to get a system in place that worked for me. I live in a matropolis so there may be an advantage over living in a small community.

Is ther a big city nearbyyou? If so try there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread