Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Mar 2012
    Middle Tn
    279 times
    CRH,Storage Unit Auctions

CRH find or garage sale find?

I'm new at CRH, but I'm good. Went to a yard sale today& they had some of them Old Whitman Books for coin collecters. 25 cents apeice for whatever is in the box. Told my grandson gimme all those books in that box, he handed me 4, looked in the box, saw another one , picked it up and it was heavy, old nickels. Paid my $1.25 left. No silver but good old dates. Get back to ya!

HH All!

us
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford, You'll be missed.

Feb 2011
    in front of you in the bank
    1304 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    did you pay face value for that nickel album?
    The album itself is used, I have no clue what condition it is in, but think you did quite well.
    HH
    Buff
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us
    Mar 2012
    Middle Tn
    279 times
    CRH,Storage Unit Auctions
    paid 25 cents for a book and 42 old nickels

Apr 2012
    203 times
    paying 25 cents for $2.10 sure beats the time I sold my clad halves at 10% above face...

There's a sucker born every minute.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    1020 times
    silver surfing
    Those Whitmans are ok for short term storage. The acids and glues will tear up coins after awhile. I've bought a couple filled with junk silver and everything inside was green and gooey. Beware!

us
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford, You'll be missed.

Feb 2011
    in front of you in the bank
    1304 times
    100% true. I forget what chemical is inside the albums, but the coin will be RUINED if stored in them for a long time. I suggest spending a little more money and buying a higher quality album(dansco, etc.) if you plan to actually fill up albums for long term. If for short term and lower grade circulation coins, you are just fine with the whitman albums.
    Quote Originally Posted by fistfulladirt View Post
    Those Whitmans are ok for short term storage. The acids and glues will tear up coins after awhile. I've bought a couple filled with junk silver and everything inside was green and gooey. Beware!
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    641 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by PhattyB View Post
    paying 25 cents for $2.10 sure beats the time I sold my clad halves at 10% above face...

There's a sucker born every minute.
    The only good deal I ever had at a garage sale is getting a state quarter album with $3 of quarters for $1 (seller told me there are $2 of quarters in the book).
    1/100 of an American dollar is a cent. It is NOT a penny. The word penny is used by several other countries, such as Great Britain, to denote their smallest denomination. In order to be numismatically correct, you must use the term cent to describe the American coin.

Apr 2012
    203 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sagittarius98 View Post
    The only good deal I ever had at a garage sale is getting a state quarter album with $3 of quarters for $1 (seller told me there are $2 of quarters in the book).
    Excellent. People are getting stupid. Blame the education system, television, computers, video games or whatever, but at 28, I'm glad to have wits over the general population. Should set me up for a decent retirement.

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    761 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    well 42 nickles is $2.10 cents no matter what -- you paid $1.25 --so your up 85 cents and 5 free books -- now if any of those nickles happen to be 1942 thru 1945 nickles (large letter P , S or D on the rear )-- even better cause then they are 35% silver "war nickles" from WW2 and are worth more .

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    641 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan salis View Post
    well 42 nickles is $2.10 cents no matter what -- you paid $1.25 --so your up 85 cents and 5 free books -- now if any of those nickles happen to be 1942 thru 1945 nickles (large letter P , S or D on the rear )-- even better cause then they are 35% silver "war nickles" from WW2 and are worth more .
    Frankendime said there was no silver.
    1/100 of an American dollar is a cent. It is NOT a penny. The word penny is used by several other countries, such as Great Britain, to denote their smallest denomination. In order to be numismatically correct, you must use the term cent to describe the American coin.

us
    OCD Coin Hunter

May 2011
    15 times
    LOL! Never found coins like this, but a couple of years ago I found a framed sheet of stamps for $3. The stamps were pretty recent first class stamps and the sheet was about $7.50 in postage in total.

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    641 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by PhattyB View Post
    Excellent. People are getting stupid. Blame the education system, television, computers, video games or whatever, but at 28, I'm glad to have wits over the general population. Should set me up for a decent retirement.
    I think she was actually collecting other stuff and maybe knew that the quarters had no value, so she sold them for less than face to attract a buyer. Most of them were AU, MS, or toned.

Sponsors