CRH find or garage sale find?

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm new at CRH, but I'm good. Went to a yard sale today& they had some of them Old Whitman Books for coin collecters. 25 cents apeice for whatever is in the box. Told my grandson gimme all those books in that box, he handed me 4, looked in the box, saw another one , picked it up and it was heavy, old nickels. Paid my $1.25 left. No silver but good old dates. Get back to ya!

HH All!

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
did you pay face value for that nickel album?
The album itself is used, I have no clue what condition it is in, but think you did quite well.
HH
Buff

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
paying 25 cents for $2.10 sure beats the time I sold my clad halves at 10% above face...

There's a sucker born every minute.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Those Whitmans are ok for short term storage. The acids and glues will tear up coins after awhile. I've bought a couple filled with junk silver and everything inside was green and gooey. Beware!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% true. I forget what chemical is inside the albums, but the coin will be RUINED if stored in them for a long time. I suggest spending a little more money and buying a higher quality album(dansco, etc.) if you plan to actually fill up albums for long term. If for short term and lower grade circulation coins, you are just fine with the whitman albums.
Those Whitmans are ok for short term storage. The acids and glues will tear up coins after awhile. I've bought a couple filled with junk silver and everything inside was green and gooey. Beware!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
paying 25 cents for $2.10 sure beats the time I sold my clad halves at 10% above face...

There's a sucker born every minute.

The only good deal I ever had at a garage sale is getting a state quarter album with $3 of quarters for $1 (seller told me there are $2 of quarters in the book).

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only good deal I ever had at a garage sale is getting a state quarter album with $3 of quarters for $1 (seller told me there are $2 of quarters in the book).

Excellent. People are getting stupid. Blame the education system, television, computers, video games or whatever, but at 28, I'm glad to have wits over the general population. Should set me up for a decent retirement.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well 42 nickles is $2.10 cents no matter what -- you paid $1.25 --so your up 85 cents and 5 free books -- now if any of those nickles happen to be 1942 thru 1945 nickles (large letter P , S or D on the rear )-- even better cause then they are 35% silver "war nickles" from WW2 and are worth more .

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
well 42 nickles is $2.10 cents no matter what -- you paid $1.25 --so your up 85 cents and 5 free books -- now if any of those nickles happen to be 1942 thru 1945 nickles (large letter P , S or D on the rear )-- even better cause then they are 35% silver "war nickles" from WW2 and are worth more .
Frankendime said there was no silver.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
LOL! Never found coins like this, but a couple of years ago I found a framed sheet of stamps for $3. The stamps were pretty recent first class stamps and the sheet was about $7.50 in postage in total.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent. People are getting stupid. Blame the education system, television, computers, video games or whatever, but at 28, I'm glad to have wits over the general population. Should set me up for a decent retirement.

I think she was actually collecting other stuff and maybe knew that the quarters had no value, so she sold them for less than face to attract a buyer. Most of them were AU, MS, or toned.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread