Hmmm....another thought about CRH...

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
We hear stuff occasionally on the news where the media questions the use of pennies, as it costs more to make them than their face value.

Let us:

1. Hope that nobody ever turns their attention to the non-usage of Half Dollars, and withdraws them from circulation. Then we would not be able to order them from our banks. Kinda unlikely it will happen, but still.....

and

2. Get all the silver out of circulation we can while we can (due to the possibility of something like that happening someday). 8)

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point Falcon, I think about that a lot. The fact that they haven't released any for circulation since 2002 was the first sign that they may phase them out eventually. But I think the penny's taking the brunt of the "Is it a useful coin anymore?" debate. I try to squeeze in a hunt whenever I can.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really do not see that happening to the half dollar. The reason the penny is getting so much attention is not whether it is a useful coin or not, but the fact that it cost more than a penny to make a penny. It only costs a few cents to make a half dollar, so it is still a relatively profitable coin for the mint, whether they circulate it or not. A little strange they way they think.

RatRacer

May 23, 2006
Trafford, PA
From the reactions I get while trying to spend halves and dollar coins, I think a lot of people don't realize they are still in circulation. Some people don't even think they're real money! (try buying fast food with a handful of halves and Susies!)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
The people at the coffe stand I frequent look forward to me coming in with halves, they get excited, LOL! But the people at the electric company and Comcast dread seeing my face come through the door! ;D ;D ;D

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeffro said:
The people at the coffe stand I frequent look forward to me coming in with halves, they get excited, LOL! But the people at the electric company and Comcast dread seeing my face come through the door! ;D ;D ;D

Haha, yeah... some people get really excited when I pay for something with them and others get angry at you. Gotta love it! :)

If they say they don't want to accept your halves ask them if they would prefer you brought in rolls of pennies to pay your bills with ;)

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Great point, I can't wait to move and get a good bank that doesn't want to charge me rediculous 10% turn in fee so that I can get back to helping remove the silver.

Rev

98 gt

Oct 5, 2006
10%??!? might as well use a darn coinstar since they are what now? like 8.9%?
luckily i just opened an account (only needed $10) at the credit union and their machine is free to members.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread