My first ounce.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1964 quarter to peak my interest. Then I started nickel hunting and got 3 war nickels in my first box ever CRH. Got onto some halves and pulled a 40%er in my first $390 (partial box find), and they were kind enough to order me another box and I got 2 40%ers out of that one. Bought 3 mercs and a rosie for $10 because I've been skunked on three boxes of dimes and wanted to see if I was edge-checking correctly.

So, if I'm not mistaken, this is 1.08 ounces .999 silver in U.S. Currency form. Not bad for two/three weeks, but not quite the volume that some of you are pulling in. I think I'm going to make some contacts and get more boxes of halves ordered, and scout banks that accept CWR. (most here are ran thru a counter, so even if you bring it in wrapped, they'll unwrap them into the machine)

Upvote 0

Xiao en

Jan 30, 2012
Yourtown
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
www.coinflation.com has a silver melt calculator that will give the weight of silver in each coin.

But it starts with one oz, then it builds into 2, then over a few months you can have 10. Every little bit helps the stash grow.

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are interested in CRH and find some banks that will get you halves or typically have boxes of dimes the silver definatley can add up quickly. I've been doing this 2-3 weeks and I already have 4 oz of silver stashed up.

OP
OP
PhattyB

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to mention that his nickels and halves are only .35 and .40 respectively.

Yes, I think I did the math correctly to account for just the silver content in my 11 coins.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I checked the math and came up with 1.08 ounces of pure silver in your finds as well. Phattyb isn't saying cons are made of 999 silver. Just that the finds up to that much in 999 silver. Congrats on your first ounce! If you stick with it, you well get many more.

OP
OP
PhattyB

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, thanks Numismanic.

So, when people say how many ounces they've got stashed, is it usually in total coin weight or pureness like how I did mine?

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Silver weight
Not silver/clad weight.
And what part of wv are you in? If it's near me, I have cleared pretty much all the CWRs out of there.
Stick with boxes.

OP
OP
PhattyB

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntington. New CWR here everyday...

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I hunt there. I've taken over 1k of silver from that town.
I love it.
but things have slowed down there now.
I think I got the largest chunk of the silver out of there.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome PhattyB, your calculations are indeed correct! I am glad that you are thinking in terms of ounces and not dollars like most of the new people here lately. It is only face value until you redeem the ounces of silver for fiat currency.

Looking forward to seeing more of your finds, good luck!

HH,
Bigheed

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Since people normally just say, 1.08 oz, then the way you said it confused me and thought you said you have 1.08 ounces of silver coins that are .999.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulation!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions