A solid box of proof Shield cents

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After picking up my orders I always look into the tops of the boxes. After looking at the penny box I couldn't believe my eyes. There starring at me are 50 rolls of shiny mint proof Shield cents. I didn't think it was possible to obtain such a box. They must have came right from the Mint & sent to the Federal Reserve & were MWRed & boxed. But now what am I to do with all these Shield cents? Btw, I didn't open the box just in case I want to sell the entire box as unopened.

Upvote 0

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Are you sure they are proofs? Or just new? Because they dont make proofs by the box, they make them by the set.

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Might be worth hanging on to, in case later the mint halts production as they did on the 09 nickels and dimes. Might wanna open couple rolls to make sure they didn't throw some older pennies in the mix or just check enders. I got a box 2012 dimes recently, I thought was all new but only bout 90% of the box was, still had circulated coins mixed in. Still could be worth hanging on too, you are not gonna lose money on em.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Chances are they aren't proof, if they don't have an S mintmark, they aren't proofs, just new coins.

tkessler77

Mar 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a whole box of 2012D pennies and I asked bank of america if I could sell it back. I was so happy when I got rid of it.

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just to underscore how long I've been out of the coin-collecting loop, when I read "Shield Cents" I immediately (and confusedly) thought "Shield Nickels" and wondered how the heck someone ended up with a whole box of proof Civil-War era coins.

I just sat here for like a minute and thought, "Daaaamn."

And then I realized that Shield Cents have replaced Memorials.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread