Twenty five years ago..............

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
.................. the US Mint did not issue a half dollar coin for circulation. 1987 P and D halves were only issued in Uncirculated and Souvenir sets, and not for circulation, while 1987-S halves were only sold as proof coins.

"The coin continued to be struck through the remainder of the twentieth century, and mintage numbers remained relatively steady until in both the Philadelphia and Denver mints[SUP][34][/SUP] until 1987, a year in which no half dollars were struck for circulation; the Treasury had accumulated a two-year supply of the pieces, making further production unncessary."

Thus only 2.9M (each) of the P and D types were minted; and only 4.2M of the S type were minted.

Consequently, they are often considered "keepers"; as they command a premium above face.

However, not everyone (either) believes or is aware of that fact.

Case in point, while going through a box of of halves today, I pulled out not one, or two 1987 halves; but seventeen (17)......7 P and 10 D !

While I've gathered several rolls (each) of both the P & D type over the years; I've never come close to finding this many at one time; and in one box.

Great way to start the weekend. 8-)

Upvote 0

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent, good for you :icon_thumright:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um...they are worth .50c...at least thats the most I was offered by a dealer. Most wouldn't even look at them. I have about a roll of 87s, now I throw any I find back into the dump bag.

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The '87 coins aren't of interest to me, and I don't actively look for them. However, they are often very noticeable when edge checking a roll, so I save those that I find.

I've traded some locally for an equivalent amount in 40% coins.

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
The '87 coins aren't of interest to me, and I don't actively look for them. However, they are often very noticeable when edge checking a roll, so I save those that I find.

So I'm not sure I understand...you can trade 87's 1 for 1 for 40%'s in your area? That is awesome:icon_thumright:.

kontrapunktus1750

Apr 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So I'm not sure I understand...you can trade 87's 1 for 1 for 40%'s in your area? That is awesome:icon_thumright:.

Yup. Although these coins have little intrinsic value, there is a small demand for them and people are willing to pay a premium. The interesting thing is that no one has ever offered to pay me even $2 for one of these coins. When a trade is proposed, however, the reaction is more positive.

Last edited:

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011

Same story here. I just edge search but I have found 2 recently. The ones I found stuck out because of the shiny unworn edge. There may have been others I missed, but I won't lose sleep over it since I am mainly concerned with silver anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread