Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: OMG!!!! BEST $20 EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    May 2011
    Kentucky
    160 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm curious as to why you mentioned the 1972 halves. There is nothing special about them that I know of.
    "Hello from deep within the copper mines of Western Kentucky."

"Keep your hands off of my stack."

Mar 2012
    16 times
    Quote Originally Posted by usandthem View Post
    I'm curious as to why you mentioned the 1972 halves. There is nothing special about them that I know of.
    Ya I know they are just worth 50 cents each, just listing what I got for the 20 bucks

us
    Aug 2010
    Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
    1 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBoy View Post
    Great score!!!
    Some advise... you get silver from an unknowing teller, you don't go back in and offer $20 for a $1 coin in front of the ignorant teller who sold you the coins for face value

HH
    Buff
    That's good advice and all when regarding Kennedy and maybe even Franklin halves, but with an old dollar coin from the 1800's he didn't "let the cat out of the bag" at all. The chances of the tellers receiving those coins again are slim to none. The teller may be clueless to silver years, but chances are she would have kept the coins as an oddity instead of letting them go for face value anyway, which would have led to her ending up at a coin dealer or pawn shop (gag) and getting 15-20 a coin anyway.

I'm not sure if you've ever had this situation happen to you Buff Boy, but i know i would have done the same thing. For all you know he is holding a CC or in this case maybe the 1888 S key date ($100 coin i'm guessing). To each their own though.
    MD Totals: 1 Large Cent | 20 IHs | 35 Wheaties | 1 V Nickel | 1 Bust Dime | 1 Merc | 3 Rosies| 1 Washington | 2 Morgan Dollars| Clad: $16.19 | Oldest Coin: 1820 Bust Dime

Mar 2012
    16 times
    Went to the coin store and they offered 50 bucks for the 1888s. From my experience with this shop they normally tend to rip me off. Anyone know what this might be worth? He offered 350 total for the 18 coins

Feb 2008
    1 times
    Awesome find JNB...you are making me jealous! With all of the banks, and all of the ignorant tellers I've encountered in over 4 years of hunting...I've never scored even one silver dollar...not even a 40% Ike...kudos to you!!!

HH,
    CD

Mar 2012
    Costa Mesa
    Gold Bug, Ace 250, Google Earth
    120 times
    Very nice find. I had a similar situation several years ago with Franklin halves.

You should look up each coin below and then ebay them. Coin dealers don't necessarily rip you off, they just have to make money in the transaction as well. My advice is Ebay them.
    NumisMedia Online FMV Rare Coin Price Guide Index - Retail Fair Market Value Prices for U.S. Rare Coins - Numismatic Values - the Official Price Guide of NGC and the Collectors Society

us
    Aug 2010
    Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
    1 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by jnb1994 View Post
    Went to the coin store and they offered 50 bucks for the 1888s. From my experience with this shop they normally tend to rip me off. Anyone know what this might be worth? He offered 350 total for the 18 coins
    I personally wouldnt take less than $600. Unless you need the money don't sell them yet, silver is gonna go up. without better pictures i would say the 1888 s is worth at least $100.

Edit: if you do need the money i would sell all but the 1888 S. It should increase in value over time as it is a key date.
    Last edited by Th3Offspring; Apr 24, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
    MD Totals: 1 Large Cent | 20 IHs | 35 Wheaties | 1 V Nickel | 1 Bust Dime | 1 Merc | 3 Rosies| 1 Washington | 2 Morgan Dollars| Clad: $16.19 | Oldest Coin: 1820 Bust Dime

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2012
    Indiana
    Garrett Ace 350
    180 times
    Coin Roll Hunting, Metal Detecting, Gold Prospecting and Yard Sale Hopping!!
    Holy crap!! Well done!

YAHTZEEEEEEE!!

H$H!!
    TGB
    2014 CRH Half Dollar Totals
    Updated 1/1/14

Skunks: 0 - Keepers: 0 - Total Searched: 0

90%
    Barber: 0 - Walkers: 0 - Bens: 0 - Kens: 0

40%
    Kens: 0 - 1776-1976: 0

Best Metal Detecting Find for 2014
    None, yet.

Best Garage Sale Find for 2014
    None, yet.

us
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford, You'll be missed.

Feb 2011
    in front of you in the bank
    1324 times
    this is an impossible score in my area, every teller is a silver hawk, they take all the decant silver, seriously, they really do. Some don't know about 40% halves yet.
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us
    Dec 2008
    St. Augustine, FL
    774 times
    jnb- First, congrats on being in the right place at the right time. You were rewarded for your efforts.

Second, to get an idea of their worth post close-ups of each in the Coins section to get an idea on grading and value.

Third, you can ebay the choice/select coins and group the common dates together as another lot. Or you can buy a Charter Membership on TNet and sell them in the Classifieds section without fees.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    1069 times
    silver surfing
    I'm still hunting for that decant silver
    n8dagr8345 likes this.

us
    Apr 2010
    54 times
    That is one hell of a score!! HH

Mar 2012
    16 times
    Going to post detail pics of all 18 coins in the coins forum soon

us
    Dec 2011
    Kentucky
    71 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Awesome! I'm still looking for my first Morgan/peace dollar!
    I hunt silver, all day errrrr day

us
    Apr 2010
    Kentucky
    Minelab E-trac, White's XLT, Garrett GTA 500,Garrett Pro Pointer
    5 times
    That is a great haul! Happy to see you hit..

HH...Miner

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links