OMG!!!! BEST $20 EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went to Citibank today looking for the usual. Halves. Usually don't have any so that's when I ask for a box of dimes. But today boy did I hit the jackpot... majorly!:hello2::coins:

I go to the teller and ask for halves. They pull out a stapled envelope and ask how many I need. I say all of them. They open the envelope, dump them out and were confused. They were the large dollar coins. I played dumb and asked what they were. She looked at them and said I think they're dollar coins. I said I'll take them. She counted them and called over another teller who noticed the date on one of them and took it for himself. She slips the 18 large coins along with 4 halves they had into an envelope which I immideatley locked in my car. I heard the second teller mention the 1800s and silver so I went back in and was determined to buy this coin. I offered the guy 20 bucks and he reluctantly agreed. I think he said he was going to give it to his kid so I felt a little bad but he took my coin after all. So then I go to my car and look at the coins.

First the halves:
1967, 1969D, 1972X2 (they didn't have any more I checked)

Now for the real jackpot, the dollars:
Peace Dollars (10)
1922X3, 1923X3, 1924, 1925, 1934X2

Morgan Dollars (8)
1879, 1880, 1881, 1883X2, 1887, 1888, 1889

I am still in awe with finding these coins. Unbelievable!

So after realizing that I have 7 more Morgans I was going to sell back the coin the teller gave. Plus buy a bill holder for another teller who had an old 100 bill with a red seal from the 20s (if anyone knows about bills let me know if this might be worth anything, I owe these guys bigtime), and probably buy them a box of pizza or something. Then I'll ask them to order me halves and put aside any more halves and dollar coins they get :laughing7:

IMAG0013.jpg

Upvote 0

Dekay

Dec 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Major score, congrats and enjoy.

HH Dave

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Any mintmarks on the reverse? The 1934 S is a tougher date. Also, any CCs or other mintmarks on the Morgans?

Incredible find!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tested all of them with a magnet and they were all fake... Haha jk. That would have stunk. I guess the s mark isn't that uncommon for the dollars? Of those coins these had an s: 1879, 1888, 22, 23,25, 34. Going to get these checked out tomorrow but any idea if these are worth more than silver?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the love of all that is holy!!!!

check 'em with a magnet, although from their diversity I doubt they are all counterfeited, if so they would probably all be only a couple of dates

Well that's enough ogling, back to my skunk half boxes

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the love of all that is holy!!!!

check 'em with a magnet, although from their diversity I doubt they are all counterfeited, if so they would probably all be only a couple of dates

Well that's enough ogling, back to my skunk half boxes

Yup already tested them with a magnet. They are all silver. Its nice getting a bargain :D

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know what's nicer looking...all those dollars or the beautiful tablecloth underneath!

J/K, congrats on the score!

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice score!
sure beats my 21 steel morgans i found.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score!!!
Some advise... you get silver from an unknowing teller, you don't go back in and offer $20 for a $1 coin in front of the ignorant teller who sold you the coins for face value ;)

HH
Buff

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Truly amazing what you can find out there. Just think if you would not have stopped by that day, that evening the teller's son would have ended up with them.

Dad and Tanner

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score!!!
Some advise... you get silver from an unknowing teller, you don't go back in and offer $20 for a $1 coin in front of the ignorant teller who sold you the coins for face value ;)

HH
Buff

The thing is he wasn't really ignorant though. Just completely selfless. He could have kept all of them for himself. He saw the dates on them. He just took one from the group and got all excited and was showing another teller and he was saying it was from the 1800s and it probably was silver. He mentioned silver before I offered to buy it from him so he had to have some clue about it.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious as to why you mentioned the 1972 halves. There is nothing special about them that I know of.

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious as to why you mentioned the 1972 halves. There is nothing special about them that I know of.

Ya I know they are just worth 50 cents each, just listing what I got for the 20 bucks

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great score!!!

HH
Buff

That's good advice and all when regarding Kennedy and maybe even Franklin halves, but with an old dollar coin from the 1800's he didn't "let the cat out of the bag" at all. The chances of the tellers receiving those coins again are slim to none. The teller may be clueless to silver years, but chances are she would have kept the coins as an oddity instead of letting them go for face value anyway, which would have led to her ending up at a coin dealer or pawn shop (gag) and getting 15-20 a coin anyway.

I'm not sure if you've ever had this situation happen to you Buff Boy, but i know i would have done the same thing. For all you know he is holding a CC or in this case maybe the 1888 S key date ($100 coin i'm guessing). To each their own though.

OP
OP
jnb1994

jnb1994

Mar 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the coin store and they offered 50 bucks for the 1888s. From my experience with this shop they normally tend to rip me off. Anyone know what this might be worth? He offered 350 total for the 18 coins

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
Awesome find JNB...you are making me jealous! With all of the banks, and all of the ignorant tellers I've encountered in over 4 years of hunting...I've never scored even one silver dollar...not even a 40% Ike...kudos to you!!! :headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:

HH,
CD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions