inspecting your rolls

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With halves I check each date because certain dates have errors, some aren't meant to be in circulation and some proofs are so beat up the only way to tell they're proofs is to look for the S mint mark.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
If all you do is look at the edges I guarantee that you will miss some silver halves. I have been fooled myself until I turned them and looked at the date.

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK
ringding said:
If all you do is look at the edges I guarantee that you will miss some silver halves. I have been fooled myself until I turned them and looked at the date.

I agree. I remember several times, especially when I first started, that I would look at the edge and say no keepers and then look at each coin and have silver jump out and bite me.

HH
Mr.T

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
I check the face of each half as well. One great reason is that there have been times when the edges fooled me.

I would unwrap a roll, hold it in my hand, and look at the edges, only to see no silver.
Then when going through the roll looking at the dates, I would be suprised to find something from the late 60s (40%).

Smithrow1

Aug 2, 2006
The first thing i do is listen to the coins. Silver sounds different. Then I check the edges. Then look for the dates and S mint marks.

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
I look closely at all of my halves younger than 1991. both sides. Those older, I just casually look at. Looking for Proofs or errors of some kind.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Agree with afore metioned posts. Looking at sides you can miss some finds. But when it comes to dimes, I gotta admit I am a side looker. Only look at a date when side looks odd. Them dimes make my eyes cross.

Rev

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread