My Introduction

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say hi to everyone on this board. I'm new to the hobby and very interested in getting started. I have read every post in the beginners sticky at the top of the page. I must say it's very useful! I was recently given a few coins from my father-in-law's collection which he inherited from his father. Nothing special. Just a 1943 Mercury Dime, a 1936 Buffalo Nickel and a 1903 Indian Head Penny but it sure did start the flame.

I plan on hopefully starting my first roll hunt this afternoon during my lunch break. I work in downtown Baltimore so I don't know how successful I'll be. I only plan to acquire around 12 rolls of halves if they are available. I don't belong to the bank that I'm going to so hopefully they won't give me any trouble. Hopefully I'll be posting some finds later today and get my collection started with a bang!

Upvote 0

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Welcome! You will find this hobby is very addictive, especially if you have any success in your early hunts.

Don't worry too much about not having an account at a bank you hunt at. Unless you are ordering boxes or dumping coin most of the time they won't ask if you have an account. Just act like you know what you are doing. Confidence does wonders for getting what you want.

Eldar11

Mar 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the world of CRH, I myself am also new and have found much encouragement and great information from the people here at TNET. As long as you do your part to be knowledgable, and it seems that you have, then people seem to be willing to help.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you!

Also I usually don't go into banks to do business so I don't know if any near me have coin machines. I have a bunch of M&T Banks and BoAs near me. Also PNC and Wells Fargo. I'm hoping to find one close to home or work to dump. I'm not planning on buying boxes yet so I will be doing relatively small dumping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
UPDATE:

Just came back from 3 banks during lunch to look for half dollar rolls. I work in a semi-newish part of the city that has two new branches of M&T Bank and PNC. Both banks did not have any half dollar rolls. A teller at the PNC branch told me that the Federal Reserve will not be sending out any more half dollar rolls to any banks. Don't know how true that is. Probably BS

Next I went down the road to a Wells Fargo branch in an "older" part of the city. I asked the nice teller if she had any half dollar rolls. She quickly replied "yes!" and gave me two CWRs. I went back to my car and examined the rolls. One roll was wrapped in a crudely made DIY wrapper made from a grocery bag. On this roll was written "Centennial Half Dollars"...ugh. The other roll was wrapped in a "regular" wrapper but also contained Centennials. Now I know why she was so happy to get rid of the rolls. They were probably sitting in her vault for a long time. I'm sure either a coin shop deposited them or an elderly person decided to cash them in.

I'm bummed that the two closest banks to my work are not going to carry an Half Dollar rolls. I may just ask for Dime rolls next time.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I'm bummed that the two closest banks to my work are not going to carry an Half Dollar rolls. I may just ask for Dime rolls next time.

Par for the course with halves. Most banks will not have any unless someone requests that they order a box (and then they are usually spoken for) or someone happens to deposit some. And yes, the teller was probably thrilled to be rid of them because most customers don't want them and as long as she holds them she has to include them in her drawer counts. That said, be sure to check back to those branches occasionally because you never know when someone will deposit some half dollars, even if they aren't coming directly from their carrier.

You are more likely to find a big score searching for halves which is why so many of us focus on them even though we are likely to leave emptyhanded, but dimes are good if you just need something to search.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Try not to hunt in the city, if you order a box. That is $500 and you just waiting to be robbed or shot. Also, the halves are bicentennial (200 yrs.) not centennial (100 yrs.).

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, the halves are bicentennial (200 yrs.) not centennial (100 yrs.).

D'oh! Meant to say bicentennial. The wrapper had "Centennial" written on it.

There is a Credit Union that I belong too that I can try. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to trying credit unions?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread