Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Sep 2010
    New Jersey
    Fisher IV
    16 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS

Great Advice I have a very good relationship with my tellers at my bank they got me 300 1928 $2 bills.

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Sep 2010
    New Jersey
    Fisher IV
    16 times

I picked up 251 1928 2$ bills and 49 1953 2$ bills awesome idea. Plus I got $90.00 in half dollars I was able to get a 64 and a 69 now just got to get rid of $89.50

us
    Feb 2012
    Garret Ace 250
    14 times
    Metal Detecting

After reading through this forum last night I decided to give coin roll hunting a try, or more specifically I decided to look through the coin jar at my house. Much to my surprise I found a 1949 silver dime. Not in great shape, but hey, for 5 minutes of digging through my coin jar -- no bad.
    brucebob and slyguy like this.

us
    Son of Eagles

Mar 2010
    mɪnɨˈsoʊtə
    Minelab SE PRO, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000, Ace 250, BH Tracker IV
    313 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Great thread and even better explanation. I've always wanted to try this especially since I visit a lot of small towns in the summer time. I always wondered how a guy could do at smaller branches in small towns providing they had any rolls to part with.

I don't know a lot about coins at the moment but I think this could be a good learning experience. I should have started doing this at the beginning of this winter.

us
    Mar 2012
    Garrett ACE 250

Just getting started in this. Thanks for the info!

Mar 2012
    212 times
    I'm looking for a good USB Microscope to examine my coins with, preferably made in the USA. Any advice is welcome.

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    630 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by fongu View Post
    I'm looking for a good USB Microscope to examine my coins with, preferably made in the USA. Any advice is welcome.
    You really don't need a microscope, just a good magnifying glass.
    1/100 of an American dollar is a cent. It is NOT a penny. The word penny is used by several other countries, such as Great Britain, to denote their smallest denomination. In order to be numismatically correct, you must use the term cent to describe the American coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Burke
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

us
    Jun 2011
    Nebraska
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    1 times
    My wife got me one of these for my birthday last year and I've liked it a lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magnifying_glass_zoom.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	627459  

Apr 2012
    FLA
    CRH
    This thread is invaluable to a newb like myself. I've been CRHing for a couple of months, all types, although I haven't been able to get rolls of halves or dollars anymore, so I switched to boxes; which leads me to a couple of questions:

What is the difference between Local, Regional, National banks and Credit Unions as far as getting boxes goes? I tried at my credit union, and they said they never get halves at all, and seemed irritated that I asked. BofA ordered some for me, and snidely told me I wouldn't find any silver (I didn't). Is it better to go with smaller regional banks for boxes, or does it even matter? Do all banks get their boxes from a local Fed branch, or do they contract with local companies (Brinks)?

What about random rolls? Do you do better going to the smaller banks for rolls, as they are less likely to turnover odd coins like dollars and halves?
    2012 CRH to Date:
    2 Boxes of Halfs: Zilch.
    2 Boxes of Quarters: 1 Canadian (non-silver)
    6 Boxes of Dimes. 9 Roos, 2 Mercs, 1 Silver Canadian, 1 Portuguese 10 Centavos
    5 Boxes of Pennies: 71 Wheats, 28 Canadian, 1 Bahama, 1 Planchet, 45 Rolls of Copper
    Random Rolls (unknown qty): 1 Roos, 1 SLQ, 1 Buf

us
    Byron

Apr 2012
    Alabama
    Dowsing rods and metal detectors
    36 times
    I am new here and have enjoyed reading the tips and advice here on this topic you added.
    I have a question though I have some of these bills you spoke of "Look out for 1974 double die halves!" what are these worth? my grandmother has been collecting coins for over 60 years now and as my siblings and i were growing up she would give us various collectable type currency in cases for our birthdays. I have several of the 1974 editions you were talking about in frames with a quarter and some other type of coin, can't remember i would have to go look. I never knew any of those babies were worth anything ive always kept them due to sentimental reasons. But from 1972 until 1996 she was always giving us these type of gifts. I have several silver dollars she has given me through the years of this.

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    630 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by bman3725 View Post
    I am new here and have enjoyed reading the tips and advice here on this topic you added.
    I have a question though I have some of these bills you spoke of "Look out for 1974 double die halves!" what are these worth? my grandmother has been collecting coins for over 60 years now and as my siblings and i were growing up she would give us various collectable type currency in cases for our birthdays. I have several of the 1974 editions you were talking about in frames with a quarter and some other type of coin, can't remember i would have to go look. I never knew any of those babies were worth anything ive always kept them due to sentimental reasons. But from 1972 until 1996 she was always giving us these type of gifts. I have several silver dollars she has given me through the years of this.
    They aren't really worth that much.
    1/100 of an American dollar is a cent. It is NOT a penny. The word penny is used by several other countries, such as Great Britain, to denote their smallest denomination. In order to be numismatically correct, you must use the term cent to describe the American coin.

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    630 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
    This thread is invaluable to a newb like myself. I've been CRHing for a couple of months, all types, although I haven't been able to get rolls of halves or dollars anymore, so I switched to boxes; which leads me to a couple of questions:

What is the difference between Local, Regional, National banks and Credit Unions as far as getting boxes goes? I tried at my credit union, and they said they never get halves at all, and seemed irritated that I asked. BofA ordered some for me, and snidely told me I wouldn't find any silver (I didn't). Is it better to go with smaller regional banks for boxes, or does it even matter? Do all banks get their boxes from a local Fed branch, or do they contract with local companies (Brinks)?

What about random rolls? Do you do better going to the smaller banks for rolls, as they are less likely to turnover odd coins like dollars and halves?
    Smaller banks are more likely to have customer wrapped rolls, which could be collection dumps because they usually don't have coin counters where the collection would normally go. They may also be more friendlier as they are not a big corporation. However, the big banks are still good and may be better to order from as they just get a monthly fee for the boxes ordered, while small banks typically pay per box, meaning the cost may be transferred to you.

A common misconception is that the coins "come from the Fed" as many tellers have said that. In reality, they come from a processing company, like Brinks, Garda, Loomis, Dunbar, etc.

Apr 2012
    FLA
    CRH
    I've read about CRHers picking up at one bank and dumping at another; obviously that is so that when you order a box of halves, they don't give you the ones you dropped off the week before. Do you need accounts with separate banks (Wells Fargo and BofA for example), or can you just pick up at one branch of a bank and dump them at another? Do bank branches transfer coins between them, or do they each handle their own ordering?
    2012 CRH to Date:
    2 Boxes of Halfs: Zilch.
    2 Boxes of Quarters: 1 Canadian (non-silver)
    6 Boxes of Dimes. 9 Roos, 2 Mercs, 1 Silver Canadian, 1 Portuguese 10 Centavos
    5 Boxes of Pennies: 71 Wheats, 28 Canadian, 1 Bahama, 1 Planchet, 45 Rolls of Copper
    Random Rolls (unknown qty): 1 Roos, 1 SLQ, 1 Buf

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    630 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
    I've read about CRHers picking up at one bank and dumping at another; obviously that is so that when you order a box of halves, they don't give you the ones you dropped off the week before. Do you need accounts with separate banks (Wells Fargo and BofA for example), or can you just pick up at one branch of a bank and dump them at another? Do bank branches transfer coins between them, or do they each handle their own ordering?

It is preferable your accounts are at different banks as you will be dumping into the same system you pick up from, and, your activities at one branch, can cause the other branch to not allow you to search. The banks do not exchange boxes, but do order from the same carrier, which means your dumps may recirculate through the company and to your order bank.

Mar 2012
    212 times
    Do you find any error coins or are you just concentrating on silver coins?

us
    Jan 2012
    Maryland
    White's Coinmaster
    630 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    Do you find any error coins or are you just concentrating on silver coins?
    Those of us who are collectors, like me, search for errors too. Many just hoard silver for money and don't concentrate on collector values.

us
    Nov 2011
    Sulphur, NV
    418 times
    Yes, don't dump where you pick up. If you do you may upset the master jedi who controls the space/time transfer device that routes the armored cars. If you piss him off, you are totally screwed.
    Last edited by namster; May 10, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
    CoinFetcher likes this.

Mar 2012
    212 times
    I have cataracts and the magnifying glass or even loupes with led lights give me a headache. The usb is more comfortable and viewable for me and my circumstances. The only problem I have is trying to find one not made in China.
    SherryBerry21 likes this.

us
    Apr 2012
    Left coast
    New Garret AT PRO - I am pretty poor with this device. Too much for me! Nothing significant found. yet! garrett 150 - starting 4/20/20120 - found 30 cents, all clad.
    450 times
    I have cataracts and the magnifying glass or even loupes with led lights give me a headache. The usb is more comfortable and viewable for me and my circumstances. The only problem I have is trying to find one not made in China.
    Sounds like a difficult task.

us
    Apr 2012
    East Coast
    129 times
    US Coins
    I have a noob question. I'm about to order my first box. I'm getting sick of looking for CWRs only to come up empty handed. I'm going to be ordering from BofA. Would I have to pay for the box at the time of ordering? How long does it usually take for a box to deliver? Thanks!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors