BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS

coolcash2004

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
To keep track of your finds check out the silver and gold market value calculator application on itunes!

A new CRH book is coming out! http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/str...s-david-j-conway/1112128147?ean=9781440232121

Ok here is a feature length explanation.

First off, it is very helpful to go to a bank that you have an account with or know the teller, they are much happier that way.

Second, a roll of cents is 50 cents, nickels is $2, dimes is $5, quarters and halves are $10.

I recommend the halves.

HALVES

First go into a bank and ask if they have any half dollars, they will usually say either no, or they will say we have a couple dolalrs in loose halves (halves in there coin tray) or they might also say they have a bunch in the vault. Tell them you will buy them all.

They will either give you rolls of halves or loose ones, buy them all.

When searching in halves, look for anything dated pre 1971, (those are silver) 1965-1970 are 40% silver and everything before that is 90% silver. Keep an eye out for franklins, walkers, and any other non kennedy halves. Also look for anything with an "S" mintmark, proof coins can be very lucrative. Just the other day i got a gem BU 1995 proof half; EST: $30. Half dollars produce the most finds or "keepers"* as some people like to call them.

If they run out of halves at the banks try ordering a box, its $500 (1,000 halves) and contains 50 rolls. You can get VERY LUCKY with boxes or you could get SKUNKED**. Either way they are alot of fun.

Most tellers at banks will have many rolls of quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies.

QUARTERS

You can try doing quarters, i got a couple rolls once and found a 1954 silver quarter. Quarters however produce the least out of any other coin denomination (anything pre 1965). If you do collect errors though, do quarters and keep an eye out for roatated state quarters.

DIMES

If no halves are available and you want silver try some dimes. Dimes produce more silver than quarters but less than halves. Keep an eye out for silver dimes (pre 1965) and mercs. Dimes can be alot of fun and if you find a merc (i never have yet) i here it is quite thrilling. In my experience i can get about 1 silver dime for every ~20 rolls. Halves are still much better.

NICKELS

Nickels are also fun to try. I save all pre 1960 nickels, but some people save anything befre 1956. Keep an eye out for buffaloes because they are still being found! Nickels are large, not that expensive and very fun to search even though the profit is generally not the greatest. If you like errors look out for the speared bison on the 2005 bison nickel. They can be worth a good chunk of money.

PENNIES

Pennies are really great. Very innexpensive and a full box (50 rolls) is only 25 bucks. With pennies save all wheaties (pre 1959) and anything else you think is interesting. Wheats can be found sometimes every roll or every couple rolls depending on your luck. Keep a watch out for errors! Several recent reports in the "coin roll hunting" section have also shown me that an indian head cent can even be found after going through loads of pennies or if your extremely lucky, but dont count on it.

Some people take there coins to a coin counter or sorter at a bank (or coinstar but that charges) to get rid of the change. I personally always reroll my coins in rolls and put a black line on them with a sharpie to ensure that i dont check the same rolls again a few days or weeks later.

* KEEPERS - Finds found coin roll hunting that are worth saving
** SKUNKED - getting no keepers in a box of coins, or from a batch or roll of coins.

OTHER

ALWAYS ASK FOR LARGE SIZE DOLLAR COINS!!! I have found 75 IKE's total at banks. Some people even find peace dollars and morgans!!!

Also keep an eye out for old bills, i found 3 red seal 2 dollar bills EST: $7 each at a bank once.

Look out for 1974 double die halves!

EXTRA TIPS

- When searching dimes only check the rims, its much faster and keep a close look for dirty silver rims.

- When searching all other coins check the dates also. Many errors and varieties are still in cirulation!

-PROOFS: Although proofs have a larger rim (usually if un worn) it is still better to check the dates on
all the coins and not just the rims when searching half dollars. Many proofs can still be found in BU
condition that can be worth good money.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coin roll hunting can be lots of fun and yield a large proffit, but dont get discouraged, one time in a box someone found 3 walkers and a franklin in the very last roll, they never gave up. True story, trust me.

I hope this little description helps! Have fun and i highly reccomend it! Questions or comments just PM me. Good luck and HH!

PICTURES!!!

-Pic 1 is a proof coin
-Pic 2 are silver coins

***** UPDATES 10/24/06!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *****

-Save all pennies minted on 1982 and earlier, these are made of mostly copper and for the metal value can be worth around 2 cents or more a piece!

-Save all 1942-1945 nickels, they are war time nickels from world war 2 and are made of 35% silver. Mintmark is on the reverse above the building.

-Save all 1987 P and D half dollars. They were only made for mint sets. Also, all have dollars dated after 2001 were not made for circulation and are worth keeping.

-Some banks will give you red coin rolls if you have an account with them. Otherwise, i usually just by mine online. They cost around 5 for a penny at the most. Unless you get the pre crimped ones.

-You might want to try searching through the small dollar coins too. Think, if people break upon proof sets to spend the halves they must spend the dollars too. I have heard from a friend who once tried searching mixed sacagaweas and susan b anthony small size dolallars. I think he said he found a proof anthony once. Not worth to much but still fun!

-Coin roll hunting is also a great way to fill up coin folders for collection!

Dont forget 1987 half dollars, only available in special sets.
All halves after 2001 were not made for circulation!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* * * UPDATE * * * November 9, 2007 GOLD COINS AND SORTING MACHINES

After my recent find of a 1/4 ounce $10 gold eagle in a quarter roll I have decided to add gold coins to this post. Coin machine have been added aswell.

-When at the bank asking for any gold coins may get you many various responses. Most tellers will say that they have the gold dollars... sacagaweas or presidentials. This is not the right way to ask. From my experience I have found that it is far better to say "Have you seen any older coins (or ecurrency) come through the bank lately". The teller may say no, yes, or maybe and then go and check the vault or the teller tray.

-Again, I stress the importance of checking the face of the coin and not just checking the rimms. Although the rim of a gold coin will usually appear gold, many silver rims do not appear to be silver. If i had been whipping the quarters through a machine or just cehcking rimms I may have skipped over it. I like to check the rim first, and then skim over the coins.

-Coin counting and sorting machine can be amazing as I have heard. I personally do not use them but some people do, and they love them. Yes, its true that they can seperate hundreds of copper pennies from zinc ones in minutes, but they cannot pull out the wheat cents, the errors, or the higher grade pieces for you. Only you can do that yourself. Whether you use a machine or not to search, it is your own personal prefference.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, HAVE FUN!!!! PROFFIT IS SECOND
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*** GRADING SCALE *** (From Bella online)

P1 is Poor - A coin in this condition is not readable. All that can be determined is the denomination of the coin.

F2 is Fair - A coin at this grade, the date will be very difficult to make out.

AG3 is About Good - This type of coin will be very worn. The date will be hard to read. Some words will be worn smooth.

Coins from these first three grading scales are known as a cull. These coins are usually called filler coins for a coin collection.

G4 to G6 is Good - The Good scale shows a coin in a heavily worn state. Everything is readable, but it will be flat and faint on some areas of the coin.

VG7 to VG10 is Very Good - Coins in this state will be well worn. The major parts of this type of coin are there. A good part of the details will be flat.

F12 to F15 is Fine - This type of grade will have moderate even wear. The detail will be mostly worn off, but clear.

VF20 to VF35 is Very Fine - The Very Fine scale will show moderate to light wear on the high points of a coin. All details will be clear to sharp.

EF40 to EF45 is Extremely Fine - Some of the mint luster will be seen on this grade type. The details will be very sharp.

AU50 to AU58 is Almost Uncirculated - The mint luster will mostly be all there on this type of coin. The wear will be very light on the high points.

MS60 to MS70 is Mint State - On the lower part of the Mint State scale, there will be some small nicks and scratches from contacts with other coins. The luster will be almost perfect, with some toning. On the higher part of this scale, there will be no trace of wear or any contact from other coins. These are rarely found in circulation. This range is also known as the uncirculated grade.

*** TERMS *** (from ACSB website)

ACG
Grading service. ACcu-Grade. Controversial at present, because the assigned grades seem to be inflated relative to standard services like PCGS and NGC.
adjustment marks
Marks caused by filing a planchet before striking to reduce its weight to the standard, as was sometimes done for early U.S. coinage.
AG (AG3)
About Good. Grade.
album
A book-like holder with slots for storing coins.
altered
Intentionally modified after the minting process.
ANA
American Numismatic Association. Collector and dealer organization.
ANACS
Grading service. The initials originally stood for "American Numismatic Association Certification Service". It has since been sold to a company independent of the ANA.
ancient
A coin produced prior to about 500 A.D.
artificial toning
Coloration added to a coin by treatment with chemicals or other "doctoring".
assayed
To evaluate, appraise, examine & judge carefully in order to fix a value.
ASE (SAE or SE)
American Silver Eagle. A one ounce silver bullion coin, issued by the United States government from 1986-date.
attribute
n. A characteristic of a coin.
v. To identify a coin by determining the country of origin, denomination, series, date, mintmark and/or variety.
AU (AU50, AU53, AU55, AU58)
About Uncirculated. Grade.
auction
A public or private sale in which items are sold to the highest bidder.
auction house (traditional auction house)
A place where public and/or private auctions are held.
authentic
An original, non-counterfeit coin.
authentication
Determination by an expert on whether or not a coin is authentic.
bag marks
Small scratches and nicks resulting from movement of coins in the same bag (also known as contact marks or keg marks).
bank note
Paper money issued by a bank.
bar
A non-numismatic form of precious metal bullion. Bars come in many sizes.
bas relief
Design elements are raised within depressions in the field
B# (B1-B10?)
Browning number (1925). Die variety - Bust Quarters, 1796-1838.
B# (B1-B23?)
Bolender number (1950, 1998). Die variety - Silver Dollars, 1794-1803.
BB# (BB1-BBn?)
Bowers and Borckardt number (1993). Die variety - Silver Dollars, 1794-1804 and later.
BG# (BG101-BG1313)
Breen and Gillio number (1983). Die variety - California private gold, 1852-1882.
bid
n. The amount or price offered for an item or the amount an item is expected to sell for at auction.
v. To offer an amount or price for an item.
billon
An alloy of silver and another metal, usually copper, which is less than 50% silver.
bi-metallic
A coin or coin-like object combining parts composed of two different metal alloys.
bit
Pieces of eight were physically cut into eighths; each piece is one bit.
blank
A piece of metal being prepared for coinage before the rims have been raised by passing through the upsetting mill.
BN
Brown. Color grade for uncirculated copper coins.
bourse
A location where dealers buy and sell coins with each other and the public, such as at a coin show.
broadstrike/broadstruck
A coin struck without a firmly seated collar, resulting in "spreading" outwards, but still showing all design details.
brockage
A mirror image of the design from one side of a coin impressed on the opposite side - occasionally, a newly struck coin "sticks" to a die, causing the next coin struck to have a First Strike Mirror Brockage of the coin stuck to the die; by the second strike the mirror is distorted, and later strikes are termed Struck Through A Capped Die.
BU
Brilliant Uncirculated. A grade with a numerical value equal to about MS60-62.
bullion
A coin or other object composed primarily of a precious metal, with little or no value beyond that of the metal.
Bureau of Engraving and Printing
An agency of the U.S. Treasury Department responsible for production of currency.
business strike or business issue
A coin struck and intended for circulation.
BV
Bullion Value. The value of the coin is closely related to its metallic content (usually silver or gold).
C
Charlotte (North Carolina). Mintmark, 1838-61, gold coins only.
C# (C1-C23?)
Cohen number (1982). Die variety - Half Cents, 1793-1857.
Canadian
Post confederation Canadian numismatics.
cameo
A coin, usually struck as a Proof, with a frosted or satiny central device surrounded by a mirrorlike field.
cartwheel
The pattern of light reflected by flow lines of mint state coins, resembling spokes of a wheel;
Name given to the British pennies and twopences of 1797 due to their unusually broad rims.
CC
Carson City (Nevada). Mintmark, 1870-93, gold and silver coins only.
certified coin
A coin authenticated and graded by a professional service.
cherrypick
To find and purchase a coin worth a premium over the seller's asking price (generally a rare die variety priced appropriately for a more common variety).
chop mark
A symbol (added to money by someone other than the government which issued it) to indicate authenticity.
circulated
Denotes money that is no longer in mint state, generally as a result of normal handling and exchange.
clad
Composed of more than one layer, such as the copper-nickel over copper composition of U.S. dimes, quarters, and halves minted presently.
clash mark(s)
Outlines and/or traces of designs from the opposite side of a coin resulting from die clash.
cleaning
Any process that removes foreign substances, corrosion or toning, e.g. application of solvents, dipping, and rubbing with abrasive materials or substances.
cleaned coin
While any coin subjected to a cleaning process could technically be considered cleaned, this term most commonly refers to those which have been abrasively cleaned (a coin which has been abrasively cleaned generally has a lower numismatic value than an otherwise comparable uncleaned specimen).
clip
A coin, planchet or blank missing a portion of metal from its periphery, caused by an error during blank production; types of clips include curved (most common), ragged, straight, eliptical, bowtie, disk and assay.
clipping
Deliberate shearing or shaving from the edge of gold and silver coins. Patterns and mottos are included on edges of many coins to discourage the practice.
CMM# (CMM1-CMM13?)
Cohen, Munson, Munde number (1971). Die variety - Half Cents, 1793-1857.
coin
A piece of metal with a distinctive stamp and of a fixed value and weight issued by a government and used as money or "legal tender".
coin envelopes
A special envelope made from paper which has little or no harmful chemicals that may affect a coin's appearance, condition or value.
coin show
An event where numismatic items are bought, sold, traded and often exhibited.
collar
A device present in a coining press to restrict the outward flow of metal during striking and to put the design, if any, on the edge of the coin.
collection
The numismatic holdings of an individual (or group, organization, estate, etc.) in total or of a particular type.
colonial
A coin issued by any colony; frequently refers to those produced by European colonies in the Americas in the 17th and 18th centuries.
commemorative
A coin with a design commemorating a person, place or event
condition census
A list of the finest known specimens of a particular variety of coin.
consign
To hand merchandise over to someone you entrust to sell for you.
contact marks
Small surface scratches or nicks resulting from movement of coins in the same bag or bin.
counterfeit
An imitation of a coin or note made to circulate as if actually money;
An altered or non-genuine coin made to deceive collectors, usually a more valuable date or variety.
CSDG
California Small Denomination Gold.
cud
A raised lump of metal on a coin caused by a piece of a die having broken off.
cull
A coin that is extremely worn and/or damaged.
cupro-nickel (or copper-nickel)
Composed of an alloy of copper and nickel, as for example U.S. 5 cent coins (other than half dimes) and Canadian 5 cent coins produced since 1982.
currency
Paper money.
CW
Coin World. Publication.
D
Dahlonega (Georgia). Mintmark, 1838-61, gold coins only.
Denver (Colorado). Mintmark, 1906-present.
damage
Physical change to a numismatic item, such as a scratch, nick, ding, cleaning, hole, pitting the effects of chemicals or environment, etc.
date
The year(s) shown on a coin, usually the same as the year it was minted.
DC (also DCAM)
Deep Cameo. High grade proof.
DCAM
Deep Cameo. High grade proof.
DDO
Doubled Die Obverse. Type of die variety.
DDR
Doubled Die Reverse. Type of die variety.
dealer
A person or company that regularly buys and sells numismatic collectibles.
dealer buy price
The price at which most dealers are currently buying a particular coin. The price a dealer buys a coin for.
deep mirror prooflike (DMPL)
Having highly reflective mirrorlike fields, similar to a coin struck as a Proof.
delamination
Metal missing or retained but peeling from the surface due to incomplete bonding or impurities in the planchet.
denarius
An ancient Roman silver coin weighing about 3 grams, roughly the same size as a U.S. dime but thicker.
denomination
The face value of a coin. It's monetary worth as legal tender.
denticles
Tooth like raise features just inside the rim of some coins (also known as dentils).
design
The devices, lettering, etc. appearing on a coin and their arrangement with respect to each other.
designer
The creator of a coin's design.
device
A major design element, such as the bust of a person.
die
A usually cylindrical piece of steel bearing at one end the incuse design of one side of a coin (except for coins with incuse detail, where the die details are in relief).
die chip
A small fragment broken off from a die; metal flowing into the resulting hole during striking results in a small raised lump on the surface of the coin.
die clash
Upper and lower dies coming together in a coin press without a planchet between them; design details may be partially impressed in the opposite dies and subsequently as mirror images on coins struck from the clashed dies.
die crack
A narrow fissure in the surface of a die; coins struck with such a die have a narrow raised line corresponding to the crack.
die erosion
Wear on a die from use in the minting process.
die flow lines
(see "flow lines")
die state
The condition of a die at a particular point in its life.
die polish
Small raised lines in the field of a coin resulting from polishing of a die to remove chips, clash marks, etc.
dipping
Cleaning by immersion in a liquid capable of removing molecules from the surface, such as a solution containing thiourea.
disme
The original spelling of dime, 1/10 of a dollar.
DMPL
Deep Mirror Proof Like. Business strike, with deep mirrored planchet.
double denomination
A rare error in which a previously struck coin is restruck by the die pair of another denomination.
double die
A dubious term sometimes intended to mean a doubled die coin and sometimes indicating machine doubling (because there is often a substantial difference in value between the two, a savvy buyer will be sure to determine which case is true for any coin described as such).
doubled die
A die with doubled device details, letters and/or numerals resulting from any of several possible differences between the multiple hub impressions during its manufacture; a coin struck from such a die.
double eagle
A U.S. gold coin with a face value of $20, first minted in 1849 and last officially minted in 1932.
drachma
An ancient Greek silver coin weighing about 3 grams, roughly the same size as U.S. dime but thicker.
EAC
Early American Coppers, Inc. Collector and dealer organization.
eagle
A U.S. gold coin with a face value of $10, first minted in 1795 and last minted in 1933; also, the current U.S. $50 face value gold bullion coin.
edge
The "third side" of a coin, encompassing the perimeter.
EF (EF40, EF45)
Extremely Fine. Grade.
E Pluribus Unum
"Out of many, one"; the motto on many U.S. coins.
error
Any unintentional deviation in the minting process resulting in one or more coins with a different appearance than intended.
exergue
The lower part of a coin or medal, usually divided from the field by a line and often containing the date, mintmark or engraver's initial(s).
exonumia
Tokens, medals and other non-monetary coin-like objects.
eye appeal
Overall attractiveness (beauty is in the eye of the beholder).
F (F12, F15)
Fine. Grade.
face value
The ordinary monetary worth of a coin or note at the time of issue.
fair market value
The American Heritage Dictionary descibes it as "the price, as of a commodity or service, at which both buyers and sellers agree to do business". To many people "fair market value" has come to mean the most commonly accepted price at which the majority of buyers and sellers agree to do business.
field
The flat background on a coin, medal or token.
fishscale
Canadian five cents silver coin or United States three cent silver coin.
flan
British term for a planchet.
flip
A clear, soft plastic holder normally used for a single coin.
flow lines
Microscopic lines in the surface of a coin resulting from the outward flow of metal during striking.
fiat money
Money that is not backed by specie and is legal tender by decree.
fractional currency
Paper money with a face value of less than one dollar.
FS# (FS1-FS?)
Fivaz and Stanton number (19xx). Die variety - many series.
fugio cent
The first coin issued by authority of the United States, produced by contractors in 1787.
G (G4, G6)
Good. Grade.
galvano
An epoxy coated plaster relief model of a coin, token or medal created by electrodeposition (much larger than the dies later created from it).
GMM
Gallery Mint Museum. A current producer of replicas of early US coins.
grade/grading
One of several terms summarizing the overall condition of a coin or other numismatic item; the process of evaluation leading to assignment of a grade.
Greysheet
the Coin Dealer Newsletter, a price guide for U.S. coins intended for dealer-to-dealer sight seen transactions.
hairlines
Light scratches in the surface of a coin.
half cent.
A U.S. coin with a face value of 1/200th of a dollar first minted in 1793 and last minted in 1857
half dime
A U.S. coin with a face value of 5 cents issued with dates between 1794 and 1873; originally called a half disme.
half eagle
A U.S. gold coin with a face value of $5 first minted in 1795 and last minted in 1929.
hobo nickel
A coin (usually a U.S. Buffalo nickel) physically altered to produce a substantially different image.
holed
Having a hole drilled through it, usually as a result of being used for jewelry.
holder
Any device designed for storage and sometimes display of numismatic items.
hub
A steel bar used to make dies having the same raised design on one end as one side of the coins ultimately produced.
ICGS
Grading service. Independent Coin Grading Service.
impaired proof
A proof coin with wear or damage resulting from circulation or other handling.
incuse
The opposite of relief -- design elements are impressed into the surface.
J# (J1-J1778?)
Judd number (1959-77). Pattern or experimental coin.
JR# (JR1-JR13?)
John Reich number (Davis, et al, 1984). Die variety - Bust Dimes, 1794-1837.
key date
The rarest (or one of the most rare) and therefore most expensive members of a coin series, e.g. the 1909-S VDB Lincoln cent or 1916-D Mercury dime.
KM# (KM1-KM?)
Krause and Mishler number. From Standard Catalog of World Coins. Type of world coin. Includes California, Mormon, Colorado, Hawaii.
Krause
A numismatic publishing company (Krause Publications); this company's Standard Catalog of World Coins.
lamination flaw
(see "delamination")
large cent
A U.S. coin with a value of 1 cent, minted from 1793 to 1857, composed primarily of copper and larger in diameter than the current U.S. quarter or A similar Canadian coin issued between 1858-1920.
legal tender
Money that may be legally offered in payment of an obligation and that a creditor must accept (source: Webster's New World Dictionary).
legend
Lettering on a coin other than the denomination or nation which issued it
loonie
Popular name for the Canadian loon dollar coin first issued in 1987.
loupe
A type of magnifying glass used by numismatists and jewelers.
love token
A coin (or sometimes a token) which has been altered by someone as a rememberance or in a tribute to another person. Most commonly a love token will have a loved one's name or intitials engraved into it. Some love tokens have been painstakingly engraved with elaborate scrollwork.
luster
The brilliance of a coin, resulting from reflection of light off die flow lines.
machine doubling
Doubling of details resulting from loose dies during striking (generally considered to have no numismatic value).
mail bid
An auction format in which bids are submitted by mail; the highest offer for each lot received by the closing date wins the lot (several other rules usually apply).
matte proof
A proof coin with a granular (rather than mirrorlike) surface produced by dies treated to obtain a minutely etched surfaces (usually in the raised portion of the coin's design).
medal
A coin-like object struck to honor one or more persons or events depicted or mentioned in its design; an object awarded to persons in recognition of service or other accomplishment.
melt/melt value
The worth of precious metal in a coin, determined by multiplying the amount of the metal it contains by the spot price of the metal.
mint
A facility for manufacturing coins.
mintage
The quantity of a denomination of coins produced at a mint during a period of time (usually one year).
mint bloom
The original surface of a newly minted coin.
mintmark
A letter or symbol designating the mint which produced the item bearing it.
mint set
A specially packaged group of uncirculated coins from one or more mints of the same nation containing at least one coin for most or all of the denominations issued during a particular year.
mint state
In the same condition as when delivered from the mint (natural toning excepted); uncirculated.
misplaced date
One or more digits of a date punched away from the intended location, such as in the denticles or in the central design.
motto
A phrase imprinted on a coin, for most U.S. coins "E PLURIBUS UNUM".
MS (MS60-MS70)
Mint State. (Uncirculated, business strike). Grade.
mule
A coin struck from two dies not intended to be used together.
multiple strike
A coin struck more than once as a result of not being properly ejected from the coining press.
mylars or mylar coin holders
This commonly refers to a holder made from cardboard which has two coin-sized holes cut out in a particular denomination. The holes are covered with a plastic film (mylar). A coin is placed in one cut out aread and the cardboard is folded in half, allowing both sides of the coin to be seen through the plastic film. The cardboard is usually held together by staples or glue (as with pre-glued mylars). Mylar film is used because it has no known chemicals which may cause damage to coins, however, a coin may become toned from chemicals which are found in some staples, gum, or tape.
N# (N1-N17?)
Newcomb number (1944). Die variety - Large Cents, 1816-1868.
N# (N1-N105?)
Newman number (1952). Die variety - Fugio Cents, 1787.
natural toning
Coloration resulting from chemical change on the surface during normal environmental exposure over a prolonged period.
NC
Not Collectable. A unique or nearly unique coin. Usually one of Sheldon's die varieties of Large Cents. At the time of Sheldon's "Penny Whimsey" (1958), for a coin to be NC, there had to be less than 3 specimens known.
net price
A term signifying that the seller is unwilling to sell for less than the price marked.
NGC
Grading service. Numismatic Guarantee Corporation.
NLG
Numismatic Literary Guild. A prestigious organization of writers of numismatically related articles, books, etc.
NN
Numismatic News. Publication.
numismatics
The collection and study of coins, tokens, medals, paper money and other objects exchanged for goods and services or manufactured by similar methods.
numismatist
A person who collects and/or studies numismatic items.
O# (O101-O128?)
Overton number (1970). Die variety - Bust Half Dollars, 1794-1836.
obol
A small silver coin of ancient Greece, originally a day's wages for a rower on a galley or a citizen on jury duty.
obverse
The front or "heads" side of a coin, often bearing a portrait and date.
off center
Incorrectly centered during striking, resulting in part of the design missing (off the edge).
OMM
Over MintMark. Two different mintmarks involved. (versus RPM, which is the same mintmark punched more than once). Type of die variety.
on-line auctions
An auction held over the Internet, such as on Ebay.
original/original toning
Having natural surfaces resulting from long exposure to ordinary environmental conditions; uncleaned.
overdate
A coin struck from a die with at least one digit of the date repunched over a different digit, e.g. 1809/6 or 1942/1.
overgraded
Designated with a higher grade than merited.
over mintmark
One mintmark on top of a different mintmark, such as a 'D' over an 'S' (denoted D/S).
P
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania). Mintmark, 1942-45 (5c only), 1979- (all but 1c). Sometimes denotes absence of mintmark.
paper money.
Paper notes with standardized characteristics issued as money
paranumismatica
British term for exonumia.
patina
A thin layer of naturally oxidized metal on the surface of a coin acquired with age.
pattern
A coin struck as a test piece for a new design, sometimes without a date.
PCGS
Professional Coin Grading Service. Grading service.
PCI
Photo-certified Coin Institute. Grading service.
PF (PF60-PF70)
Proof. Type of coin production and/or Grade. Contrasts with business strike.
pick up point
An area where a feature, such as die doubling, is most evident.
piece of eight
A former Spanish coin with a face value of eight reales; the U.S. dollar was originally valued at and tied to eight reales.
pitted
Having a rough surface due to loss of metal by corrosion.
PL
Proof Like. Business strike, with mirrored planchet.
planchet
A piece of metal prepared for coinage with raised rims but as yet unstruck.
plugged
Denotes that a holed coin has been filled.
PNG
Professional Numismatists Guild. Dealer organization.
porous
Having a granular surface as the result of oxidation, most frequently found with older copper coins.
PQ
Premium Quality. Sometimes part of the sealed slab grade, such as a MS64 PQ (not quite good enough for MS65). Often it is just a hype adjective like "Choice" or "Select".
PR (PR60-PR70)
Proof. Type of coin production and/or Grade. Contrasts with business strike.
precious metals
Term usually reserved for gold, silver, platinum, etc.
premium
A price or value over and above (in addition to) a coins face value.
prestige set
A set of coins produced by the U.S. Mint containing one or more proof commemorative coins released in the same year, as well as a proof cent, nickel, dime, quarter and half.
problem coin
Any coin that has been cleaned or damaged or has other undesirable characteristics.
proof
A coin specially manufactured to have extra sharp detail, mirrorlike fields and sometimes frosted or "cameo" devices, produced for sale to collectors at a premium or for exhibition or presentation.
prooflike
Having mirrorlike fields, similar to a coin struck as a Proof.
proof like
A coin specially manufactured by the Royal Canadian Mint with mirror fields.
proof set
A specially packaged group of coins containing at least one of most or all of the denominations of proof coins struck by a nation in a particular year.
PVC
Poly Vinyl Chloride. An ingredient of soft plastic "flip" coin holders which will damage coins over time.
quarter eagle
A U.S. gold coin with a face value of $2.50 first minted in 1796 and last minted in 1929.
R# (R1-R8)
Rarity scale. R1 most common; R8 least common. The often used Sheldon scale is:
R8 = 1-3 known (estimated), "Unique or Nearly Unique"
R7 = 4-12 known, "Extremely Rare"
R6 = 13-30 known, "Very Rare"
R5 = 31-75 known, "Rare"
R4 = 76-200 known, "Very Scarce"
R3 = 201-500 known, "Scarce"
R2 = 501-1250 known, "Uncommon"
R1 = over 1251 known, "Common"
rarity
An infrequently encountered or available item; the number of surviving specimens of a particular issue, as may be indicated by a rarity scale index.
rarity scale
A convention for designating the rarity of a coin, such as Sheldon's system (with values such as R1 for common pieces and R6 for extremely rare specimens) and the Universal Rarity Scale invented by Alan Herbert (with designations such as URS3).
RB
Red-Brown. Color grade for uncirculated copper coins (BN, RB, or RD).
RD
Red. Color grade for uncirculated copper coins (BN, RB, or RD).
real
A former basic monetary unit of Spain and Spanish colonies in the Americas.
Red Book
The Handbook of U.S. Coins, a retail price guide for U.S. coins published annually, originally written by R.S. Yeoman.
reeded edge
An edge with raised parallel lines, a.k.a. milled or grained.
relief
Features rising above the field.
repunched date
A date with one or more of the digits punched more than once in different locations and/or orientations.
repunched mintmark (RPM)
A mintmark punched more than once in different locations and/or orientations.
restrike
A coin struck with authentic dies later than the date it bears.
retail or retail price
The price at which a coin or item is commonly sold in a retail store. Price of an item sold to "end" user or collector.
reverse
The back or "tails" side of a coin.
RIC
Roman Imperial Coinage.
rim
The outer edge of a coin, often raised to avoid premature wear.
round
A disc shaped piece of precious metal bullion.
RPC
Roman Provincial Coinage.
RPD
RePunched Date. Type of die variety.
RPM
RePunched Mintmark. Type of die variety.
RSC
Roman Silver Coinage.
S
San Francisco (California). Mintmark, 1854-1955, 1968-present.
S# (S1-S295?)
Sheldon number (1949). Die variety - Large Cents, 1793-1814.
S# (S1-S9?)
Snow number (1992). Die variety - Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents, 1856-1909.
SAE (ASE)
Silver American Eagle. A one ounce silver bullion coin, issued 1986-date.
scrip
A note issued by and redeemable at a merchant or group of merchants.
SEGS
Sovereign Entities Grading Service. Grading service.
series
Coins of the same major design and denomination, including every combination of date and mintmark minted, e.g. Morgan dollars.
Sheldon scale
A numerical grading system ranging from 1 to 70 created by Dr. William H. Sheldon to denote proportional values of large cents minted from 1793 to 1814 and subsequently adaped as a general grading scale.
shinplaster
Canadian fractional banknotes.
sight seen
Available for examination to a potential buyer before a purchase decision is made.
sight unseen
Not available for examination to a potential buyer before a purchase decision is made, as is usually the case with mail order transactions.
silver certificate
A note (paper money) once redeemable for its face value in silver.
silver clad
A clad coin with one layer containing silver, such as U.S. halves struck from 1965 to 1970.
silver eagle
A coin produced by the U.S. mint beginning in 1986 containing one ounce of silver and having a nominal face value of $1 (not released for circulation).
slab
A coin certified by a professional grading service as authentic and encapsulated in a sealed hard plastic holder also containing a label bearing the service's opinion of its grade and other information.
slider
A coin with very slight traces of wear, such that it almost passes for an uncirculated specimen.
SP
Specimen. Better than business strike, but not quite a proof.
specie
Precious metal used to back money, usually gold and silver.
split grade
Different grades for the obverse and reverse sides.
spot
Short for spot price.
A small area of corrosion or foreign substance
spot price
The market price for immediate delivery of a commodity, such as a precious metal.
spread
The difference between buy and sell prices on the same item(s) of a dealer, broker, etc.
The extent of separation between impressions on a doubled die.
stella
A U.S. gold coin pattern with a face value of $4 minted in 1879 and 1880.
striations
Incuse marks caused by rolling bars during planchet production.
strike
The process of impressing the design from a die into a planchet to make a coin, token or medal;
The completeness of detail (as in weak strike, full strike, etc.) created during this process.
strike doubling
See machine doubling.
tetradrachma
An ancient Greek silver coin weighing about 13 to 17 grams, roughly the same size as a U.S. quarter but three times thicker.
thumbing
The rubbing of skin oil onto a coin in an attempt to hide contact marks.
token
A coin-like object redeemable for a particular product or service, such as transportation on a bus or subway; an unofficial coin issued by a business or town to be used as small change, e.g., in 17th-19th century Britain, and in France in the 20th century.
toning
Color acquired from chemical change on the surface.
trade dollar
A U.S. coin with a face value of $1 minted from 1873 through 1885 specifically for commerce in the Orient;
A U.K. coin with a face value of $1 minted from 1895 through 1935 specifically for commerce in the Orient.
trime
A U.S. coin with a face value of 3 cents minted in predominantly silver alloys from 1851-1873.
tube
A plastic container designed for storing a roll or other quantity of coins of the same size.
type coin
Any coin of a particular design and denomination, usually one of the more common dates.
type set
A collection of coins of various designs; rather than try to complete the series, the goal of the type collector is to obtain at least one example of several different types.
UC (UCAM)
Ultra Cameo. High grade proof.
UNC (Unc., MS60?)
Uncirculated. Grade.
uncirculated
Never circulated; without any wear.
V# (V1-V10?)
Valentine number (1975). Die variety - Half Dimes, 1794-1873.
VAM
Any variety of U.S. silver dollar described in the book Morgan and Peace Dollars by Van Allen and Mallis.
variety
Any coin struck from a die pair that differs from others with the same date and mintmark, such as one exhibiting die doubling, different style letters or numerals, or a repunched mintmark.
VAM# (VAM1-VAM230?)
Van Allen and Mallis number (1976). Die variety - Morgan Dollars, 1878-1921.
VF (VF20, VF30, perhaps VF35)
Very Fine. Grade.
VG (VG8, VG10)
Very Good. Grade.
W
West Point (New York). Mintmark, 1984-present.
want list
A tabulation of collectibles sought by a collector, often including limits on condition and/or price.
water mark
A design put into paper at the manufacuring stage by pressing it while wet between rollers bearing the design.
wear
Metal lost during handling and contact with other objects.
whizzing
Alteration by mechanical polishing to produce a shiny surface.
world coins
Coins issued by various nations, as in a collection comprised of coins thereof.
XF (XF40, XF45)
eXtremely Fine. Grade.

-CC

Attachments

• DSCF2530.JPG
    DSCF2530.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 31,793
  • DSCF2520.JPG
    DSCF2520.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 32,938
  • DSCF2530.JPG
    DSCF2530.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 30,738
  • DSCF2520.JPG
    DSCF2520.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 30,759
Last edited:
Upvote 2

blackbeard1717

Sep 10, 2010
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Fisher IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up 251 1928 2$ bills and 49 1953 2$ bills awesome idea. Plus I got $90.00 in half dollars I was able to get a 64 and a 69 now just got to get rid of $89.50

NYScrap

Feb 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After reading through this forum last night I decided to give coin roll hunting a try, or more specifically I decided to look through the coin jar at my house. Much to my surprise I found a 1949 silver dime. Not in great shape, but hey, for 5 minutes of digging through my coin jar -- no bad.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread and even better explanation. I've always wanted to try this especially since I visit a lot of small towns in the summer time. I always wondered how a guy could do at smaller branches in small towns providing they had any rolls to part with.

I don't know a lot about coins at the moment but I think this could be a good learning experience. I should have started doing this at the beginning of this winter.

bigt4187

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just getting started in this. Thanks for the info!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking for a good USB Microscope to examine my coins with, preferably made in the USA. Any advice is welcome.

brucebob

Jun 14, 2011
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I'm looking for a good USB Microscope to examine my coins with, preferably made in the USA. Any advice is welcome.

My wife got me one of these for my birthday last year and I've liked it a lot.

Attachments

• magnifying_glass_zoom.jpg
    magnifying_glass_zoom.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 294

dannybolt

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2012
FLA
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread is invaluable to a newb like myself. I've been CRHing for a couple of months, all types, although I haven't been able to get rolls of halves or dollars anymore, so I switched to boxes; which leads me to a couple of questions:

What is the difference between Local, Regional, National banks and Credit Unions as far as getting boxes goes? I tried at my credit union, and they said they never get halves at all, and seemed irritated that I asked. BofA ordered some for me, and snidely told me I wouldn't find any silver (I didn't). Is it better to go with smaller regional banks for boxes, or does it even matter? Do all banks get their boxes from a local Fed branch, or do they contract with local companies (Brinks)?

What about random rolls? Do you do better going to the smaller banks for rolls, as they are less likely to turnover odd coins like dollars and halves?

bman3725

Apr 30, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new here and have enjoyed reading the tips and advice here on this topic you added.
I have a question though I have some of these bills you spoke of "Look out for 1974 double die halves!" what are these worth? my grandmother has been collecting coins for over 60 years now and as my siblings and i were growing up she would give us various collectable type currency in cases for our birthdays. I have several of the 1974 editions you were talking about in frames with a quarter and some other type of coin, can't remember i would have to go look. I never knew any of those babies were worth anything ive always kept them due to sentimental reasons. But from 1972 until 1996 she was always giving us these type of gifts. I have several silver dollars she has given me through the years of this.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I am new here and have enjoyed reading the tips and advice here on this topic you added.
I have a question though I have some of these bills you spoke of "Look out for 1974 double die halves!" what are these worth? my grandmother has been collecting coins for over 60 years now and as my siblings and i were growing up she would give us various collectable type currency in cases for our birthdays. I have several of the 1974 editions you were talking about in frames with a quarter and some other type of coin, can't remember i would have to go look. I never knew any of those babies were worth anything ive always kept them due to sentimental reasons. But from 1972 until 1996 she was always giving us these type of gifts. I have several silver dollars she has given me through the years of this.

They aren't really worth that much.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
This thread is invaluable to a newb like myself. I've been CRHing for a couple of months, all types, although I haven't been able to get rolls of halves or dollars anymore, so I switched to boxes; which leads me to a couple of questions:

What is the difference between Local, Regional, National banks and Credit Unions as far as getting boxes goes? I tried at my credit union, and they said they never get halves at all, and seemed irritated that I asked. BofA ordered some for me, and snidely told me I wouldn't find any silver (I didn't). Is it better to go with smaller regional banks for boxes, or does it even matter? Do all banks get their boxes from a local Fed branch, or do they contract with local companies (Brinks)?

What about random rolls? Do you do better going to the smaller banks for rolls, as they are less likely to turnover odd coins like dollars and halves?

Smaller banks are more likely to have customer wrapped rolls, which could be collection dumps because they usually don't have coin counters where the collection would normally go. They may also be more friendlier as they are not a big corporation. However, the big banks are still good and may be better to order from as they just get a monthly fee for the boxes ordered, while small banks typically pay per box, meaning the cost may be transferred to you.

A common misconception is that the coins "come from the Fed" as many tellers have said that. In reality, they come from a processing company, like Brinks, Garda, Loomis, Dunbar, etc.

dannybolt

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2012
FLA
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read about CRHers picking up at one bank and dumping at another; obviously that is so that when you order a box of halves, they don't give you the ones you dropped off the week before. Do you need accounts with separate banks (Wells Fargo and BofA for example), or can you just pick up at one branch of a bank and dump them at another? Do bank branches transfer coins between them, or do they each handle their own ordering?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read about CRHers picking up at one bank and dumping at another; obviously that is so that when you order a box of halves, they don't give you the ones you dropped off the week before. Do you need accounts with separate banks (Wells Fargo and BofA for example), or can you just pick up at one branch of a bank and dump them at another? Do bank branches transfer coins between them, or do they each handle their own ordering?

It is preferable your accounts are at different banks as you will be dumping into the same system you pick up from, and, your activities at one branch, can cause the other branch to not allow you to search. The banks do not exchange boxes, but do order from the same carrier, which means your dumps may recirculate through the company and to your order bank.

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you find any error coins or are you just concentrating on silver coins?

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you find any error coins or are you just concentrating on silver coins?

Those of us who are collectors, like me, search for errors too. Many just hoard silver for money and don't concentrate on collector values.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, don't dump where you pick up. If you do you may upset the master jedi who controls the space/time transfer device that routes the armored cars. If you piss him off, you are totally screwed.

Last edited:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have cataracts and the magnifying glass or even loupes with led lights give me a headache. The usb is more comfortable and viewable for me and my circumstances. The only problem I have is trying to find one not made in China.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have cataracts and the magnifying glass or even loupes with led lights give me a headache. The usb is more comfortable and viewable for me and my circumstances. The only problem I have is trying to find one not made in China.

Sounds like a difficult task.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a noob question. I'm about to order my first box. I'm getting sick of looking for CWRs only to come up empty handed. I'm going to be ordering from BofA. Would I have to pay for the box at the time of ordering? How long does it usually take for a box to deliver? Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions