BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS - Page 12
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2011
    Southeastern Tennessee
    1 times

Re: BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS

Quote Originally Posted by x22xBrownSuga
    I have one quick question. When it comes to buying coins from another bank you are not a member of, do you pay cash for them? Or do they not allow it?

~Brown
    Loose coins or a few rolls most banks will sell to you for cash whether you are a customer or not. Most banks won't sell you boxes unless you're a customer though. The bank I buy my halves from sold me boxes without me being a customer. Since they treated me so well, I opened an account there, and now I bank there more than my former primary bank.

Bob

us
    Mar 2011
    Sacramento, CA
    Ace 250

Quote Originally Posted by hombre_de_plata_flaco
    I am interested in trying this, but does anyone know approximate times for sorting through a box of coins? Seems like it would take quite a while.
    For a box of halves (1000 count) usually takes me 2 hours to look each one over for silver and errors. If you are just going for silver then it would go considerably faster from just checking edges. Enlist some help

~Brown

us
    May 2011
    1 times

I've been toying with coins for a while now....nothing major, I just search all of our change, etc.

Last night I stumbled on this board and thought...well shoot, that sounds easy enough. So...

First of all, finding halves around here has been virutally impossible. NO ONE has them. I got a couple here and there from the teller drawer, but everyone I asked about rolls said no. And when I asked about ordering them (I played dumb, told them they were for my kids) they said they didn't even order them anymore.

So I searched through 18 rolls of dimes today...nada....zilch...I was more than a little discouraged. Stopped at my bank in another town to deposit my dimes and asked the teller (for like the 15th time it seemed like today) if she had any 50 cent pieces. She looked in her till, and said no...then said, well, how many do you want? I said, well, how many do you have? She told me she just noticed that there were 3 rolls in the vault. I'll take 'em!!

So out of 3 rolls, I found 8 dated between 65-70. My local coin dealer will pay me $4 each for these all day long.

So even with the frusteration of the dimes (grrr) I still think I did well today. Thanks for turning me onto this new hobby...
    ShaunB likes this.

us
    Feb 2008
    Great Lakes State
    dirtfishing
    2719 times
    silver surfing
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by DaisiLou
    I've been toying with coins for a while now....nothing major, I just search all of our change, etc.

Last night I stumbled on this board and thought...well shoot, that sounds easy enough. So...

First of all, finding halves around here has been virutally impossible. NO ONE has them. I got a couple here and there from the teller drawer, but everyone I asked about rolls said no. And when I asked about ordering them (I played dumb, told them they were for my kids) they said they didn't even order them anymore.

So I searched through 18 rolls of dimes today...nada....zilch...I was more than a little discouraged. Stopped at my bank in another town to deposit my dimes and asked the teller (for like the 15th time it seemed like today) if she had any 50 cent pieces. She looked in her till, and said no...then said, well, how many do you want? I said, well, how many do you have? She told me she just noticed that there were 3 rolls in the vault. I'll take 'em!!

So out of 3 rolls, I found 8 dated between 65-70. My local coin dealer will pay me $4 each for these all day long.

So even with the frusteration of the dimes (grrr) I still think I did well today. Thanks for turning me onto this new hobby...
    That 1970 is the holy grail of Kennedy halves......don't sell it for 4 bucks!
    “They’ll go over like a Led balloon.”

us
    May 2011
    Southwest Florida
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Is there a particular time of day or particular day of the week that is best for hitting up banks for halves? Are they more likely to have customer wrapped rolls and loose halves at the end of the day or week, or is what's there in the morning pretty much exactly what was there the night before?

us
    Mar 2010
    Colorado Springs CO.
    Bounty Hunter QS
    18 times

hey cc, can you add that when you order coins, they dont come from the federal reserve, or the mint, rather they come from loomis, brinks, garda, dunbar etc.? keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]
    CHAINCHOMP

us
    May 2011

Quote Originally Posted by captainfwiffo
    Is there a particular time of day or particular day of the week that is best for hitting up banks for halves? Are they more likely to have customer wrapped rolls and loose halves at the end of the day or week, or is what's there in the morning pretty much exactly what was there the night before?
    There's no exact answer to this. It's basically when people drop off deposits. I guess around 10/11 would be an ideal hour because businesses usually drop off deposits in the morning. When they get paid with half dollars, they usually tend to get rid of them as soon as they can. Some businesses drop off deposits during the afternoon though. Other than that, it's just random customers. Half dollars aren't dropped off frequently, so don't go in and ask every day. You'll quickly become "that one annoying guy."

us
    Aug 2011

Quote Originally Posted by coolcash2004

-Save all pennies minted on 1982 and earlier, these are made of mostly copper and for the metal value can be worth around 2 cents or more a piece!

Dumb question from a newbie:

How might I sell pure copper pennies for their metal value? I found a lot last night when y'all finally motivated me to search and categorize some bulk pennies I bought at the flea market and want to get their metal value, but don't know where to start.

us
    Jun 2006
    Clinton Twp Michigan
    Garrett's Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Gold Digger
    2 times

i would like one of your programs please....
    Dennis
    We come into life howling and covered in blood....the fun doesn't have to stop there!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger...

us
    Feb 2011
    America
    1631 times

With so many newbies coming here each and every week, this is a must-read. At least once a week a newbie asks how to CRH. Seriously, please read. I understand this is a heaping amount of info, but take an hour and read this, probrably the best advise of CRH on the internet.

I may suggest to the moderator to maybe make this more noticeable for the newbies, they come and ask the same questions each and every time. If they would just read this, 95% of their questions would be answered. 8)
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us
    Sep 2011
    Fingerlakes Region, NY
    Fisher 1236-X2 & Los Banos Gold Bug
    58 times

I'm new to all this. Why do you save all nickels prior to 1960? I understand about the silver war nickels; but why save the older ones? Aren't they all just copper/nickel?

Charter Member

Apr 2003
    Alberta
    Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
    5312 times
    Prospecting

Fascinating, informative thread!! To all responsible--thanks!

All the best,

Lanny
    Nothin' quite as fun as chasin' sassy nugget gold! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/me...mysteries.html

us
    Nov 2011
    Boynton Beach, Florida

Awesome Information, Thank You!
    Mark da SilverMann!!!

us

Dec 2011
    Idaho
    1 times
    coin roll hunting

never got a bag. nice guide!
    Mel2180 likes this.
    Wheaties= 23
    buffalo's=0
    mercury=0
    Indian=0
    pre 60 nickels= 15
    40% halfs=2
    90% halfs=0

us
    cooper36

Nov 2011
    east coast
    194 times

Thanks for the write up for the new jacks. I went to a bank not mine and ask for half dollars they gave me 90.00 worth. My wife went through them as we were in the car no silver but got a 2004 a very nice one and a couple of halves that you cant read the mint mark the dates are 1984, 1980, 1981 and 1974.The 1984 looks like a P with a Y on top of it. The others look filled in maybe the die got something on it. Ill take them to a coin dealer on tues and get the rest of the coins from the bank, I think it was someones dump bank as their was about 260.00 worth. Thanks again for the great write up.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links