Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: BEGINNERS GUIDE TO COIN ROLL HUNTING!!! + TERMS

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2011
    880 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    This is great info thanks

Jun 2006
    ACE 250
    35 times
    2008 COIN ROLL HUNTING TOTALS

Wheats..........5
    Pre '60 nicks..5
    Silver D.....2
    Silver Q....1
    Walking Liberty..0
    Franklin...........0
    Kennedy 90%...2
    Kennedy 40%...11
    Proofs...........0
    NIFC.............7

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    31591 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcash2004 View Post
    Cool !

Mar 2013
    698 times
    Just wanting to get this up higher in here so the newbies can find it easier
    Love this post- I read through it thoroughly my first visit

-------------------------------------
    just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Expert CRH'er/ Newb Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2012
    Fema Region 3
    Ace 250, garret pro pointer, sawtooth gator
    803 times
    Its a good post, but I think could use some editing, the terms/grading scale part really lost me, came out of no where, and took up a lot of space between the good info.

Im glad they opened this thread, as its been closed since I became a member here, and I will add my 50 cents on half hunting in this post, I will just edit it in when I get time to write it up.

HH all!

EDIT: Here is my write up on Half Hunting.

The OP is pretty straight forward, halves come in almost always in a $10 roll, there are $20 CWR rolls but I have not been lucky enough to find one.

Ive been hunting for about a year and half now... Last year in just boxes, I searched over 1200 boxes of halves. It took me a while to build up a bankroll, and also system to the madness! My first try of CRH'ing, I went to about 10 banks and none had any halves, finally one had $510 in wrapped halves and I had been reading enough on this forum, that it was just probably someones searched dump. Low and behold it was not! I found (70) 40% half dollars, and (23) 90% halves, the 90% included bens and walkers!. At this time, it was worth about $800 or $850, for my CRH Bankroll at that time, I used my rent money before the rent was due, and even though I found alot of silver, it also took away about 50$ face value! lol... So I sold all the 40% and most of the 90% kennedy's. It also gave my bankroll to start searching on a weekly basis.

Ok so you want try and find some silver halves?

Go into a bank, ask if they have any half dollars or large dollars. word for word... Never mention silver. Always buy all that they have or the most that you can, but ALL is best of course, never ask to look through it for special ones, and try to use your poker face if they are dropping silver on the table! lol

Once you complete your transaction, whether they have any or not, if you want to order them, this is when you ask them, "Would you be able to order me some half dollars?"

Now here is the tricky part... getting a YES for an answer! lol... And also, try to re-assure them that you WILL NOT be bringing the coins back to them... I find this is a real key here... Especially if you do your homework and know never to do this. never bring coin back to the same bank(yes bank, not just branch) that you order from.

Ok so regardless if you have a larger bankroll or not, I do not recommend ordering more than $1000 or 2 boxes at first. I say this because I have a nice track record, of starting off ordering 2k per week, and then it all stopping 2-3 weeks later(saying its costing them too much money or some other excuse) and not being able to order from them ever again... You want to keep this train going, so dont start too hard... trust me, im driving pretty far away sometimes just to keep up with my comfortable 30+ box/week...

The closest bank that orders for me, is 15 minutes away and farthest is about an hour from me. It used to be alot closer, but like I said, I didnt build the relationships that are needed to keep this moving, and lost those other banks that are closer to me, I still go in for CWR's and ask every now and then if I can order, and its always no sorry we cant order half dollars anymore.

When you get your first order, ask them if it would be ok for them to order you the same amount for next week. Then when you get the 2nd order, i would suggest bringing some kind of treats, cookies, donuts etc... at a local store they sell fresh cookies for less than $5, ill use those alot, its a tub of like 20 cookies, so cant go wrong there! They all love it... for xmas I bought some nice treats from a local bakery.

So there you go, thats taking care of ordering... i would suggest waiting about a month until trying to up the order if your bankroll can handle it. and also bringing another treat when you ask to order, seems to help as well

As far as dump banks go... I might be one of the lucky ones, I have a great local bank near me that has a free coin counter, that uses a bin setup which holds 6-7k of coinage... So yah, I dont really need to worry about re-wrapping(oh man that would suck, sorry for you people.) or setting up coinlok bags(I do have it at one of these bank branches, they suggested it and I went along with it, as it is pretty easy to just seal up the 1k of halves in a bag that they give me, instead of putting it through a machine and wasting the time doing that.

I rim search and only rim search... If I find any questionable rims, it is getting face checked for sure... but then I will drop the searched coins in my bag, slow enough that I can hear if I missed any silver, which I have not missed any at all, and I do sound tests with a real 40% and 90% in the same manor that I dump the searched rolls and always hear it on the test clear as day.

Definitely get down the sound of silver... you can even get so good to hear the difference between 40% and 90%. If your new, you might wanna face check to be sure you dont miss any good ones. After you find some silver, you will be able to hear what they sound like bouncing off the clad coins.

I also suggest using (INDIRECT) natural sunlight for rim checking... you dont want too shady, but not directly in the sun either. And yes I find proofs and clad commemoratives and 1987 halves all the time... you can tell the nice rims from the normal circulated ones, even the NIFC's. It takes me about an hour to search 8 boxes...

I suggest you also want to try and lock down 1 specific coin courier to search from, and a different one to dump into. it might take some trial and error obviously, but thats how ive come across my system, I started ordering halves from one courier, and after 25 boxes i never found silver, so I switched it up to another bank and started hitting it right away, so ive stuck with that courier since...

I dont really know what else to add at this time, I mean that covered like everything I think!

HH

ANOTHER EDIT: If they ever ask about searching for silver, what I say is, Sure silver is nice, but its too rare to find in any regular basis, and that I mainly look for errors and proofs(which I dont really look for errors too much, unless I know of a known date/mint and see that face by chance... and proofs I usually dont keep unless they are AU condition... but it kind of dissuades people from trying to search for silver(which you dont want 100 other people doing the same thing as you are do you?)
    Last edited by Infowarrior; Feb 01, 2014 at 06:51 PM.
    mjr08010, bigdisco00, agme and 1 others like this.
    “Truth is treason in the empire of lies.” - Ron Paul

Feb 2013
    517 times
    A quick tip for dumping re rolled nickels and dimes. Tellers love it when you give them your dumps in packs of 10 rolls rubber banded together. It saves them time and you time when you are dumping.
    Infowarrior likes this.

us
    Jan 2014
    Hot Springs, AR
    Garret Ace 100
    3 times
    I cannot seem to find a bank that is willing to order me halves. Can anybody give any suggestions to solve this problem.

us
    Oct 2013
    Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
    1163 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxophilite View Post
    I cannot seem to find a bank that is willing to order me halves. Can anybody give any suggestions to solve this problem.
    Have you tried ordering a box of dimes, nickels, or pennies? Maybe start small and work you're way up to the halves. Ordering a box of coin is a service that banks provide and the bank simply refusing doesn't add up to me. If the tellers are saying no then I'd ask politely for advice on where to get them and/or to speak with the manager.

us
    Feb 2014
    MT
    176 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomotion View Post
    Have you tried ordering a box of dimes, nickels, or pennies? Maybe start small and work you're way up to the halves. Ordering a box of coin is a service that banks provide and the bank simply refusing doesn't add up to me. If the tellers are saying no then I'd ask politely for advice on where to get them and/or to speak with the manager.
    I was told my the dept manager she wouldnt order boxes or anything, for anyone. I could, knowing the bank Pres and VP, easily go over her head. But I have developed relationships with other banks that can take care of me.
    Whats right and what is law is not always the same thing

céad míle fáilte

us
    Jan 2014
    Hot Springs, AR
    Garret Ace 100
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zomotion View Post
    I was finally able to sweet talk my teller into ordering me some halves. She will be ordering me 2 boxes tomorrow morning, wish me luck! I have been doing some boxes of dimes. So far I have only found 2 dimes out of about 3 or 4 boxes. Pennies, so far I have only been able to sort out copper from zinc.
    Hillbilly Joe and Zomotion like this.

us
    Mar 2014
    Clarksville, Michigan
    Garrett AT Pro (borrowed)
    18 times
    This is a great thread! I've been coin roll hunting for a few years now, and I learned a few things here. I've never gone after halves, mostly because of the cost to buy a decent number of them to search. I'm going to be rethinking that one!

us
    Feb 2014
    Milwaukee
    67 times
    What do you do with all these silver coins? They cant possibly be melted down and sold

Expert CRH'er/ Newb Dirt Fisherman

Oct 2012
    Fema Region 3
    Ace 250, garret pro pointer, sawtooth gator
    803 times
    Quote Originally Posted by forgetaboudit View Post
    What do you do with all these silver coins? They cant possibly be melted down and sold
    Most people dont sell their finds...

But I would imagine when people sell them(me included), we sell as is, and dont attempt to melt it down, as its not even pure anyways... and I doubt most of us have the ability to seperate out the copper, or have molds etccccc... hehe
    “Truth is treason in the empire of lies.” - Ron Paul

us
    King of the Dinosaurs

Jun 2014
    New England
    2009-D Dime.
    This is an awesome community! Been at CRH here and there for the last few years, and recently dedicated myself to finding a 2009-D dime. I've gone through close to 8,000 dimes so far, and mind you this is in my time off from work and classes, although seeing the various posts here about multiple rolls and boxes is very inspirational. Again, awesome site.
    I once told a guy that his 1965 dime was worth nine cents.

Mar 2013
    698 times
    There is NO better bank or better box or better courier for crh especially when searching for ag- the best bank is the one thatll order you coins- find a couple of those and just hunt away and know skunks will be the norm

-------------------------------------
    just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links