Stumbled Upon a Dump Zone

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I knew it would happen to me eventually. I came across a dun dun dun....Dump Zone.

I decided to venture away from the city during today's lunch into an area that's...well lets just say it's not the classiest of areas. A lot of couches and tires on lawns if you know what I mean.

There is a main road that goes through this town. On this main road is about 8 banks. As I was looking for banks on Google Maps, I saw this cluster of "convenient" banks not too far from my work. I called one of the banks before I left and asked if they had any halves. She told me she had $700 worth. I initially thought "JACKPOT!", but then my brain kicked in. I thought to myself, "Every bank in this area usually has about 1-4 rolls of CWR halves. Why would this one bank have $700 worth?" Regardless I decided to try my luck.

The bank gave me $50 in CWRs. I knew immediately that they were all skunk. I asked the teller why the bank had so many rolls in the vault. She told me flat out that collectors purchase the rolls, pick out what they want, then bring them back. Needless to say I won't be going back to that bank.

I then tried my luck at another bank literally 200 feet away. When I walked in I noticed this man talking it up with one of the tellers. He looked like a working-class man. Nothing wrong with that. Then I noticed that the teller looked miserable. I walked up to another teller and asked if they had any halves. She regrettably said no, whispered and pointed at the guy talking to the other teller. She said that he has been asking for all sorts of older currencies and that he won't stop trying to get them. I listened in and all I hear was "I'll take whatever you have as long as it's old. Do you have any half dollars? What about larger dollars? I'm looking for any half dollars. Can you ask everyone in the bank?" Mind you every question was answered with a polite "No sir". This guy would not stop. This type of obsessive behavior give every collector a bad name.

I left the bank and went down the street to another bank. I asked for halves. The teller had 4 CWRs. Well I needed to get back to work so I ended the hunt with 9 rolls. I checked them all at my desk and they we're all skunks. Found a few mid-90s coins that were in good condition. I may keep them just for the collection.

I really should not be surprised that there's a dump zone in that area. I forgot that about 5-10 miles down the road, there is a huge flea market. Every coin, collectible and action figure gets sucked into that flea market. I will be avoiding that area like the plague.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, sorry about the inconvenience, though you might have found a dump bank!

I was in the bank the other day dumping half dollars and an older man in bicycle shorts(tights), he had the nerve to come up and ask if he could purchase ALL the half dollars I was dumping($500). Both the teller and I said "NO", he then went up to the teller, cut off 4 people in line, and walked out with about 20 rolls of nickels and one ike... and the bank tellers are silver hoarders too! :tongue3:

I got in line and purchased 3 boxes of coins, the tellers are real nice to me in there, I don't think they like others who ask for coin though, ha.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
If I find a bank that is someone else's dump I will generally avoid it as well, but you never know when someone else might deposit a roll of silver at that same branch. I certainly wouldn't write-off a whole area of town. The solid roll of 1964 Kennedy's I found last week was from a branch right in the middle of an area I hadn't found anything in since last September.

The other thought is that poorer areas can be good hunting grounds as the bank customers there are more likely to be in bad financial circumstances that would lead them to deposit "those old coins that have been sitting around" for fast cash. I hate to say it, but poorer areas are also more likely to have stolen coins dumped for their face value.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say it, but poorer areas are also more likely to have stolen coins dumped for their face value.
Don't hate to say the truth!!

Keeping this post simple.
* I used to hit a lot of Korean banks.
* Koreans only do businesss with other Koreans.
* In my part of the county Koreans have liquer stores in the ghettos.
* They sell a lot of booze and get a lot of halves and big dollars.
* Those coins are deposited in Korean banks in the better part of the county.
* I come by and ask for halves and big dollars.
* I find silver EVERY time.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
The other thought is that poorer areas can be good hunting grounds as the bank customers there are more likely to be in bad financial circumstances that would lead them to deposit "those old coins that have been sitting around" for fast cash. I hate to say it, but poorer areas are also more likely to have stolen coins dumped for their face value.

That's what I was thinking as well but that flea market nearby just makes it impossible to CRH in that area. Too many people searching and reselling.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I avoid them "ghetto" areas personally, the score is not worth the risk of being robbed by the corner dealer.(joking about the corner dealer part, but really, it's not worth being robbed.)

ScottNVAB

May 22, 2011
Bahah. That's funny. I think I have seen this guy. He was in line in front of me one time. He kept asking the teller to ask all the tellers about halfs. I just had to sit down in their lobby chairs and watch "the show". They made him wait like 10 mins., then told him NO. After he left, I went and picked up my CWR's that they hold for me. Silly coin-boy!

Funny story about Md. I was there in a certain bank last year, and I asked if they had halfs. She said "Heck yeah-we got $4500 worth". She said a few customers had been dropping them off....Hehe...I will take $1 worth please. Thank you!

Terp08

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only time I went into a bank besides my pickup bank to ask for loose halves it was busy. Got in line behind a man in his 70's with a burlap sack. He walks it to the door in the glass and the teller takes it and has to hand count every coin, she then gave him rolls of halves for the halves he was dropping off. I asked to buy halves and she would only sell me his dumps, wouldnt take out of the 2 boxes of mwr they had. Said he comes in every business day and sometimes multiple times a day. pure laziness

Example of running into someones dump and someone ruining the hobby for others.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread