OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
how much does one pay at auction for those silver coins? quarter set, proof sets, nickles?

Really depends on the auction and those attending.

Coin Auctions dedicated to coins, you will pay close to spot price at the very least... usually.

Regular auctions, like people selling personal items, you can score big. I have got silver quarters and halves for $1 ea at those kinds. I picked up a 10g bar of gold for $400, it was worth $572 at the time. Its hit and miss though.

I ended up making about $22 total on my purchased from the auction, as it was a coin auction. I did get two 2005 Silver State Quarter sets but I traded the guy who got the two 2007 sets for one of his. win/win on both of our parts, though my sets did book out at $5 more ea, I didnt really care.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Dang man you're killing it! Wish my boxes looked like that

I am telling you man, I wish I could up the volume to make my ears bleed. The boxes out here on average are pretty damned good. Logistically its just not possible though and I barely have the time to do the 6-7 boxes a week I do get to do.

I would love to figure out a way to get a bag of ikes though, maybe in a couple months I will have you mail one out to me :D I cant seem to find a place to order me one yet. I am going to start calling different branches in KC and see what they can do. I know we have a fed reserve branch in KC but I am not sure if they carry coin or not, I would assume so.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I do because I have a 4 oz a week goal. I figure $120 a week of the good stuff is a lofty goal to say the least, when paying spot for it. Its still a lofty goal when getting it at face. I have thought about separating the two but really, the auction, store and street buys all go towards the goal so I figure they should be added in.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Got my nickels and dimes done finally. Went in Monday and they could not get into the vault, the clock messed up. Got them on Tuesday, did the dimes and got the nickels done today.

$285 in CW Dimes produced 2 Rosies, one on the first small handful, which was nice.
$24 in CW Nickels produced 1 War, 1945 D

Friday is 6 boxes of halves and maybe some CWR's.

Total for May

7 - Rosies
1 - 1914 D Barber Dime
43 - 40% Halves
28 - 1964 Halves
1 - Franklin
1 - Walking Liberty 1942
8 - Skunks vanquished
1 - 1979 Wide Rim SBA
1 - War Nickel 1945 D

-------------

1 - 2011 Canadian Maple Leaf ( Purchased at spot )
1 - 1983 Mexican Libertad ( Purchased at spot )
12 War Nickels (auction)
1967 Proof Set (auction)
1968 Proof Set (auction)
1970 Proof Set (auction)
2005 Silver Quarter set (auction)
2007 Silver Quarter set (auction)

22.7727 ozt found in May - +16.6168 past my goal of 136 ozt

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah I do because I have a 4 oz a week goal. I figure $120 a week of the good stuff is a lofty goal to say the least, when paying spot for it. Its still a lofty goal when getting it at face. I have thought about separating the two but really, the auction, store and street buys all go towards the goal so I figure they should be added in.

I understand the auction grabs, but why store buys? I could set my goal to 20 oz. this month and easily do it buy buying 20 oz. today.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I understand the auction grabs, but why store buys? I could set my goal to 20 oz. this month and easily do it buy buying 20 oz. today.

Well, I didnt have a Maple leaf and I honestly wanted one, its a nice looking coin. Also, I liked the look of the libertad and decided to buy one. I dont buy often from the coin shop but when the prices dropped considerably, I will buy and ounce or two. I like to look at the coins too from time to time.

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, todays 6 boxes were done, no where near good nor near my average. I thought today would end up good but it failed

Bank 1:

Box 1: 1/40% 1/90%
Box 2: 2/40%
Box 3: Skunk

Bank 2:

Box 1: Skunk
Box 2: Skunk
Box 3: Skunk ( two gold plated 2008's )

And to top it off, I could not go pick up my new boat today to work on it over the weekend. Oh well, at least I wont have to deal with Memorial day ******s on the road.

All I have left to look forward to is possible dimes and nickels tomorrow if the vault teller isnt gone, when I dump $1000 in halves and two boxes of halves on Tuesday from the local branch. I was hoping to find 20 oz of silver in halves in a month, I am sitting at 18.0161 currently, its still possible, these two boxes could put me over the mark.

Total for May

7 - Rosies
1 - 1914 D Barber Dime
46 - 40% Halves
29 - 1964 Halves
1 - Franklin
1 - Walking Liberty 1942
8 - Skunks vanquished
1 - 1979 Wide Rim SBA
1 - War Nickel 1945 D

-------------

1 - 2011 Canadian Maple Leaf ( Purchased at spot )
1 - 1983 Mexican Libertad ( Purchased at spot )
12 War Nickels (auction)
1967 Proof Set (auction)
1968 Proof Set (auction)
1970 Proof Set (auction)
2005 Silver Quarter set (auction)
2007 Silver Quarter set (auction)

23.5781 ozt found in May - +17.4222 past my goal of 136 ozt

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
$105 in dimes done today, skunked.

I am now taking the banks pennies as well. The only thing they will ever have to ship out is my $1000 in halves once a week. They no longer have to ship out dimes, nickels, pennies or quarters ( when they have them ). I also take their SBA's and Gold dollars just to make them extra happy and look for errors and dump them into the gas tank.

Grabbed $30 in pennies, have not searched them yet.. might not be able to for a while.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I didnt have a Maple leaf and I honestly wanted one, its a nice looking coin. Also, I liked the look of the libertad and decided to buy one. I dont buy often from the coin shop but when the prices dropped considerably, I will buy and ounce or two. I like to look at the coins too from time to time.

I'm not against buying, but are the goals including the store buys since you rarely buy?

OP
OP
The_EE

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not against buying, but are the goals including the store buys since you rarely buy?

Goals are 4 oz a week, regardless of how they come. 4 oz bought is roughly $120 a week, which is a hefty toll on most peoples wallets, including mine. I try to get as much as possible from estate auctions, private auctions and CRH but I am not beyond buying from the shop when something strikes my fancy and from coin auctions for the same reason. 4oz a week for the next 20 years is my goal, or 4160 oz when I am done... its my retirement.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No sarcasm at all. Thanks for the explanation. I'd never heard of the term TROY before, so thank you.

Just wondering, why not say I have accumulated 122 ounces of silver as opposed to saying I have accumulated 122 ounces troy of silver? Is it just to sound fancier or is that the correct terminology to be used? Again, no sarcasm here, just an honest question.

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess because people are uneducated. An ounce is 28.3495231 grams, so if you are talking about silver and you are buying an oz, they could technically sell/send you 28.35 grams and get away with it. When speaking of ozs of silver I collect, I always measure in troy ozs, but may only state that I have culled 5 ozs this months (141.75 grams) but what I really mean is I have culled 5 ozt (155.15 grams). It's not a huge difference when talking small number of ozs but you can see the difference is 14 grams or almost half a troy ounce. When taking the silver amounts from coinflation they are measuring in troy ounces I beleive but I will have to double check.

Solid Rolls

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha, that all makes sense now. Thank you for the quick lesson. I sincerely appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Silvercrazy

Nov 24, 2006
Ha, EE, if you don't mind me asking. How old will you be in 20 years? Good Luck with your 4000+ ounces in the next 20 years, all I can say is that is persistence at it's best. I hope to make it for 5 years with a 600 oz goal. Thanks. Dennis.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions