Two bags of Quarters today, Good and BAD all at the same time! Need advice!!!

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
So, I just had a little girl last Sunday, and I figured that I would go grab a couple of bags of quarters and put together a little state quarter book for her...

So anyway, went through the bags and found the following:

Good:

Bag 1 - 3 silver washington quarters
Bag 2 - 2 silver washington quarters

Bad:

Bag 2:

132 slugs/washers, equivalent to the weight of a quarter, and just about the same diameter, equal to 33 "dollars worth" of quarters

This really ticked me off... Anyone ever run into this before?

Who has this type of time on their hands? That they are defrauding banks for $33 bucks worth of quarters?!?! How dumb.

Anyway, question... what do I do about this? I feel like I should just eat it and move on, I am not a "customer" at the bank that i got the bags at, but they always sell me bags off the machine, the town is about 15 miles away from me, and there are 3 branches of this bank in that town, all within about 2 miles. I generally stick with pennies now because its cheap and I dont have a ton of cash to play with... I can usually pick up at least $300 worth of pennies from these banks with no problem at all.

I dont want to go back and say something and then have them cut off my supply! Then again, maybe they would appreciate me saying something so they know to keep a closer watch on peoples change?

What are everyones thoughts? Anyone ever run into this before???

Upvote 0

Th3Offspring

Aug 29, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If i were you i would eat the bullet and move on. I would also notify the bank of the large amount of fraudulent quarters because it is likely that someone will do it again.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah im pretty sure thats what im going to do. as i said, i dont want to burn the bridge with this place (as dumb as it sounds), but long term, i think its probably worth it to not make a big deal of it...

oh well, what are you gonna do i guess... I was happy with the 5 silvers though.

anyone else have experience with finding a large number of slugs in a quarter bag?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, are you sure you were shorted? I buy bags of halves off counting machines occasionally and there is almost always a handfull of "extra" stuff in there. Anything from car wash tokens to bent/mangled quarters, nickels, dimes, and pennies. However, they usually aren't counted as halves by the machine and just somehow found their way into the bag. They're just extra.

I would bag them up, take them back to the bank, and very politely tell them about it. Not in a demanding "I want a refund immediately!" sort of way, but rather in a "just to let you know" sort of way. They might offer you a refund, they might not. I am almost sure it is something they would want to know about.

Terp08

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In silver value you only lost a few bucks...Id let the bank know and just be prepared to eat it.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its the cost of doing business. The last bag of halves I bought was $7.50 light. Netted me an oz of silver though.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say put them slugs back into the coin machine! :)
just kidding, i would just eat up the loss

Congrats on your baby girl! You might want to buy a proof set from now(the year she was born) and one each year after so she has a nice collection... proof sets are real nice and relatively inexpensive too, of course you can go for the silver proof set option for a little more money, which is what I would buy.

Buff

Last edited:

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
I have a name for off-target junk in bags.
I call them "wild".

Wild indicates that the bag has not been through a machine that is especially sensitive to off-type objects
LIKE SILVER.

Therefore, according to my theory, bags or boxes that contain "wild" are more likely to produce SILVER.

Keep on Rollin' !

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good point piledriver. I'd rather have those bags than nothing in them at all! when you dump the quarters you'll know if you were shorted

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow i am surprised no one has said it yet but congrats on the little girl.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
congrats on the baby girl :-) our twins are coming up fast, wife is already 6.5 months preggerz!

I would do just like Arkiebassman said, just go in tell the manager in a "Hi, I would like to let you know" kind of statement and I bet they will more likely than not offer to compensate you for the $33, if not it is the cost of doing business. Definitely worth a shot!

good luck!
Bigheed

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a new definition for me, Piledriver. I've never seen any coin bagged and have a suspicion that Canada doesn't and never had coin bags, as being all coins are rolled up. The "wild" amount in a bag and its correlation to the amount of silver is an interesting theory. I would like to see the results as for the proof of that.
5 silver quarters out of 2000$ is not that bad.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
Agree with Arkiebassman and Bigheed. Definitely let the branch manager know so they can be on the lookout for similar activity, and they may voluntarily reimburse you. If not, I wouldn't press the issue.

OP
OP
U

Uncleslick18

Oct 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha. thanks for all the help guys, and for the congrats!

Just finished dumping all the quarters today, we calculated that we were 67 bucks short. 33 dollars from the slugs, and the last 34 just must have been from the bags being shorted from the machine... kinda sucks, probably wont do quarter bags again, but who knows, i hate to let one bad experience kill it for me, but i basically paid like 13 bucks a piece for 5 silver quarters... oh well i guess...

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch. In the future bring a scale that can measure down to fraction of an OZ. A bag of $500 quarters should weigh in the neighborhood of 25 pounds. Easy way to be sure you are not getting shorted. Slugs are a different story though.

Gareb

Sep 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a name for off-target junk in bags.
I call them "wild".

Wild indicates that the bag has not been through a machine that is especially sensitive to off-type objects
LIKE SILVER.

Therefore, according to my theory, bags or boxes that contain "wild" are more likely to produce SILVER.

Keep on Rollin' !

I second this. I only get bags as I upped my single orders to 1k at a time. Most banks here will not do mega orders, so as a result of ordering 1 k, they send them in canvas bags not 2 boxes. I have learned that anytime there are extra coins (more often mangled) or foreign there is silver also present. If the count is right on and exact, there is typically no silver. The bags seem to alternate to me also. I have never done more than 4 1k bags with out the next having at least something in it. The weight theory makes the most sense so far that I have heard.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread