My Epic Motherload!

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a little lightheaded....

So far I have searched through 14 rolls and I have come up with 1 1966 40% and 1x 1976 proof.

I went to a bank on the way to work this morning. Went through the drive through and asked for halves. The teller first looked like she was going to deny me. She had a concerned look on her face and took a moment to think. Sort of like she was thinking she wasn't supposed to be giving these out. I knew my chances of getting rolls was diminishing so I threw out my last resort "pity" line, "I'm looking for my grandfather. He can't get out of the house anymore." The concerned look from her face disappeared and she told me she had $50 in CWR halves. I bought them all and drove to work.

I got to work and put all five rolls on my desk. I opened the first roll and checked for an ender. It wasn't. I was cautiously optimistic however. I opened the roll and....SILVER! In fact, each roll had silver!

Here's the breakdown:

Roll 1 :
1963D Ben
1942 Walker x 2

Roll2:
1964 JFK x5
1940 Walker
1951S Ben
1957D Ben
1942 Walker

Roll 3:
1964 JFK Ender (my first ender!)

Roll 4:
1964 JFK
1963 Ben

Roll 5:
1962D Ben Ender (Bender :laughing7:)
1964 JFK x3
1943 Walker
1952 Ben x2
1961 Ben
1957D Ben
1942 Walker

That my friends is 25 total 90% half dollars! Grand total for each type of half: 6x Walkers, 9x Bens, 10x JKF

My head is spinning. I'm sure I stumbled onto either grandma's old stash or a bank teller's collection. I suspecting the former.

Here are some pics of the rims and enders. I'll put more pics of the entire find when I get home.

Roll 5.jpg Roll 2.jpg Roll 3.jpg Roll 4.jpg Roll 1.JPG Roll 5 Ender.jpg Roll 3 Ender.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Resounding +1 here. Sounds like there may be some ill grandfathers in our midst? Lighten up fellas. Sheesh.

First of all, good for you... Congrats. I laughed a little when reading your post because I too have my own spin on the "sick grandfather who got me into collecting many years ago" Ever since I started using that when needed, I noticed immediate empathy, opposed to the "eyes rolling, you're a pain in my a$$ looks"... I hope the person who asked you if it was worth lying for was just kidding... OF COURSE IT WAS WORTH IT.... PICS TO PROVE IT DID YOU SEE EM? It amazes me as to how people chose to focus their energy on this "COIN ROLL HUNTING FORUM" It's the CRH'ing forum on Tnet, we do not need the "honesty police"..

Grats on the great find. Im super jealous.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
If you boil it all down. We are not really inconveniencing the "bank" when asking for loose halves or rolls. We are only inconveniencing the seldom lazy tellers who want to do as less as possible.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I laughed a little when reading your post because I too have my own spin on the "sick grandfather who got me into collecting many years ago"

My spin is that my kids and I collect coins. It is hard to say no when its "for the children." :laughing7:

And it isn't a total lie, as I do have kids that like to go through the coins with me. Of course, their collection is all of the random coins I have left on the kitchen counter where they can reach them.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's a pic of the entire silver haul. Hopefully I haven't peaked early in my CRH career. It's going to be hard to beat this haul. Hmmm....maybe a Barber or Seated. I can dream.

Attachments

• image-402877966.jpg
    image-402877966.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 101

bblair

Dec 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome score! All 90%, congrats!

As for the little white lie, I wouldn't feel too bad about it. Like someone mentioned, I play the "my kids and I like looking through them to fill out our books" card, which is partially true.

I know someone else on here claims they use them for poker games. I don't think it's a big deal, and if you feel guilty about it, just go back to the same bank and take them some cookies or something and say they're from "your grandfather".

By the way, you may want to go back to that bank and buy other denominations just in case someone cashed in a ton of old coin, not just halves.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
bblair said:
By the way, you may want to go back to that bank and buy other denominations just in case someone cashed in a ton of old coin, not just halves.

That is an excellent point. I didn't even think bout that. May have to go back and get some dime rolls.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
It might be because it was the drive up teller. One of my former banks wouldn't pass rolled coins through the drive up, you had to go inside.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks great to me!!! BINGO !!!Great find!!!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, hokiemojo is right... We all need to CRH the ETHICAL way...

-When asked if you have an account, you must tell the truth. If they say, "you cannot buy halves because you don't have an account here," you must say thank you and IMMEDIATELY leave the bank. It shall be unethical to try to get the halves anyway, for example by saying, "No, I don't - but I have a Chase credit card," or "No, but most of the banks I have been to usually just want to get rid of them," or "No, I am just trying to round up some halves for a poker tournament," or "I'm looking for my grandfather. He can't get out of the house anymore."

-If asked why you want so many half dollars, you must give an absolutely honest answer (which will likely destroy CRHing as we know it - but at least it will be ETHICAL). You must reply, "I am looking for SILVER. There is a TON of it out there still! There's a chance that I am about to buy $1000 dollars worth of silver from you right now for only the face value of those rolls."

-When dumping, if the teller asks "where on earth did you get all those halves? You must have been saving them forever?!" - you must tell the truth. "Actually, no, I just got them all this morning at your other branch on 4th Street. I looked through them at home just now, pulled out all the SILVER (make sure you say exactly how much you found), them came to dump them off on you guys so I can go pick up the other 4 boxes I have waiting for me in the vault at your Main St branch."

-And, finally, we need to set a limit on how much silver each of us can take out of circulation. I think 10 coins a week is fair enough. From now on, if anyone finds more than 10 silver coins in any given week, they must roll them back up and sell them back to the bank. The only way we can keep this hobby ETHICAL is if we level the playing field. Everyone needs an equal chance to find silver.

Ok, so maybe I am being a little ridiculous. This is a hobby where you have to be a little creative to have success. I don't see any problem with what usernameerror did. If you don't agree, keep it to yourself. Every one of us deceives those tellers every time we walk in their bank and asks for halves - that's the only way we can keep this hobby alive.

Congrats on your score, man! And sorry if I offended anyone. We are all just trying to have some fun here - just like we do when we hunt.

HH
BB

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

-When asked if you have an account, you must tell the truth. If they say, "you cannot buy halves because you don't have an account here," you must say thank you and IMMEDIATELY leave the bank. It shall be unethical to try to get the halves anyway, for example by saying, "No, I don't - but I have a Chase credit card," or "No, but most of the banks I have been to usually just want to get rid of them," or "No, I am just trying to round up some halves for a poker tournament," or "I'm looking for my grandfather. He can't get out of the house anymore."

-If asked why you want so many half dollars, you must give an absolutely honest answer (which will likely destroy CRHing as we know it - but at least it will be ETHICAL). You must reply, "I am looking for SILVER. There is a TON of it out there still! There's a chance that I am about to buy $1000 dollars worth of silver from you right now for only the face value of those rolls."

-When dumping, if the teller asks "where on earth did you get all those halves? You must have been saving them forever?!" - you must tell the truth. "Actually, no, I just got them all this morning at your other branch on 4th Street. I looked through them at home just now, pulled out all the SILVER (make sure you say exactly how much you found), them came to dump them off on you guys so I can go pick up the other 4 boxes I have waiting for me in the vault at your Main St branch."

-And, finally, we need to set a limit on how much silver each of us can take out of circulation. I think 10 coins a week is fair enough. From now on, if anyone finds more than 10 silver coins in any given week, they must roll them back up and sell them back to the bank. The only way we can keep this hobby ETHICAL is if we level the playing field. Everyone needs an equal chance to find silver.

This is ****ing AWESOME! :sign10:

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011

Ok, so maybe I am being a little ridiculous. This is a hobby where you have to be a little creative to have success. I don't see any problem with what usernameerror did. If you don't agree, keep it to yourself. Every one of us deceives those tellers every time we walk in their bank and asks for halves - that's the only way we can keep this hobby alive.

Congrats on your score, man! And sorry if I offended anyone. We are all just trying to have some fun here - just like we do when we hunt.

HH
BB

You had me going for a minute there. I was about to question your sanity!

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other

It would take a lot for a Collector to hand back silver coins to a bank. Don't think anyone in their right mind would do this.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

HH
BB

That is hysterical! LOL!!! Possibly the funniest post ever on this forum!!

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA

HH
BB

And the award for Best CRH Post of 2012 goes to.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions