My Epic Motherload!

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a little lightheaded....

So far I have searched through 14 rolls and I have come up with 1 1966 40% and 1x 1976 proof.

I went to a bank on the way to work this morning. Went through the drive through and asked for halves. The teller first looked like she was going to deny me. She had a concerned look on her face and took a moment to think. Sort of like she was thinking she wasn't supposed to be giving these out. I knew my chances of getting rolls was diminishing so I threw out my last resort "pity" line, "I'm looking for my grandfather. He can't get out of the house anymore." The concerned look from her face disappeared and she told me she had $50 in CWR halves. I bought them all and drove to work.

I got to work and put all five rolls on my desk. I opened the first roll and checked for an ender. It wasn't. I was cautiously optimistic however. I opened the roll and....SILVER! In fact, each roll had silver!

Here's the breakdown:

Roll 1 :
1963D Ben
1942 Walker x 2

Roll2:
1964 JFK x5
1940 Walker
1951S Ben
1957D Ben
1942 Walker

Roll 3:
1964 JFK Ender (my first ender!)

Roll 4:
1964 JFK
1963 Ben

Roll 5:
1962D Ben Ender (Bender :laughing7:)
1964 JFK x3
1943 Walker
1952 Ben x2
1961 Ben
1957D Ben
1942 Walker

That my friends is 25 total 90% half dollars! Grand total for each type of half: 6x Walkers, 9x Bens, 10x JKF

My head is spinning. I'm sure I stumbled onto either grandma's old stash or a bank teller's collection. I suspecting the former.

Here are some pics of the rims and enders. I'll put more pics of the entire find when I get home.

Roll 5.jpg Roll 2.jpg Roll 3.jpg Roll 4.jpg Roll 1.JPG Roll 5 Ender.jpg Roll 3 Ender.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will take away your case of the Mondays. HH

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an FYI...those are CWR's, not BWR's. That would be amazing if they were BWR's.
CWR = Customer Wrapped
BWR = Business Wrapped

I thought you were lying about the finds because I saw BWR. Makes more sense coming from CWR

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Was it worth lying for?

Yes. I have just as much right as any customer of the bank to request the rolls. I can tell she was thinking about lying about them. If I had it my way I wouldn't have to drop a little white lie to get half dollars. I of course do not know for certain what her motives were, but her job is to assist bank customers. Not pick and choose for herself or anyone else.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice good for you, you are a customer there so who cares. Theres nothing better than opening a CRW and seeing silver on the end. This is a sure sign the rest of the roll is all silver or at least most of it.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! I believe I got there in the nick of time as well. I went to another bank and I could have sworn I saw some people talking and holding rolls of coins outside the bank. They may have been coin roll hunters as well...or I'm just paranoid delusional due to this hobby.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I was happy for you till I saw how you got them. We all deal with an occasional bad teller. no need to stoop to their level over a few dollars.

BillyOceansEleven

May 6, 2011
I was happy for you till I saw how you got them. We all deal with an occasional bad teller. no need to stoop to their level over a few dollars.

I don't see any issue with the little white lie. The teller has the coins but didn't want to do her job and sell them, so OP did what he had to to make the transaction happen. The coins were the bank's property, not hers.

Congrats OP!

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't see any issue with the little white lie. The teller has the coins but didn't want to do her job and sell them, so OP did what he had to to make the transaction happen. The coins were the bank's property, not hers.

Congrats OP!

That's exactly what I'm saying.

The coins are the property of the bank not the teller. It would be different if I went into a coin shop and the owner refused to sell me some coins because well...they're the store owner's property. I would have accepted it and moved on. A bank is in the business to handle money, not sell it. I didn't snipe someone's box order nor did I see anyone's name on the rolls. The rolls were worth $50 dollars to the bank and they got $50 for them. No harm no foul. It's not my fault that a teller would even think about not performing her duties. It's honestly a shame that the teller even thought of lying to me about he rolls. It's not in her job description to pick and choose who the bank services. She's not the "loan officer for half dollars".

ParisRoubaix

Mar 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call me crazy but I would have told that teller anything she wanted to hear to get 5 rolls of CWR's not even knowing what they contained. Scrape and claw, scrape and claw!

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Exactly. Everyone is not going to be honest with you. Especially with money. I didn't force her to give me the halves. I just gave her a little white lie to get her to do her job right.

cuttybce

Feb 16, 2010
Western PA
Was it worth lying for?

This seems to come up regularly. Sorry, but I disagree. This is a bank we're talking about here. Banks are not exactly flagbearers of honesty. And the OP didn't rob the bank.

One could argue that from now on, when you ask for any amount of coin and are questioned by a bank employee, you must disclose the entire concept of CRH and tell them that you are looking for silver.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't get me wrong. I'm as honest as possible. I've only had to use that white lie twice and its usually a last resort. I don't just walk into a bank and play the pity game. I've had tellers ask my why I want the halves. I tell them that I'm trying to start a collection which is true. The sad truth is that the teller forced my hand and I played it. Now if I went the opposite told the teller that I was just looking for silver, I'm willing to bet that 9 times out of 10 she would have told me that they did not have any rolls and searched through them once I left. Who would be the "bad guy" then? In my opinion, the teller's lie would be far worse than mine. Regardless one could argue that a lie is a lie. I happen to disagree but respect that opinion.

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good for u....unless that was my bank...and they were holding them for me ...??? wait a minute were u from....I think i want my halves back:laughing9:

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
First of all, good for you... Congrats. I laughed a little when reading your post because I too have my own spin on the "sick grandfather who got me into collecting many years ago" Ever since I started using that when needed, I noticed immediate empathy, opposed to the "eyes rolling, you're a pain in my a$$ looks"... I hope the person who asked you if it was worth lying for was just kidding... OF COURSE IT WAS WORTH IT.... PICS TO PROVE IT DID YOU SEE EM? It amazes me as to how people chose to focus their energy on this "COIN ROLL HUNTING FORUM" It's the CRH'ing forum on Tnet, we do not need the "honesty police"..

Grats on the great find. Im super jealous.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. I have just as much right as any customer of the bank to request the rolls. I can tell she was thinking about lying about them. If I had it my way I wouldn't have to drop a little white lie to get half dollars. I of course do not know for certain what her motives were, but her job is to assist bank customers. Not pick and choose for herself or anyone else.

Karma always has the last word.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread