Selling 40%ers and buying morganis

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Selling 40%ers and buying morgans

Maybe this is more of a question for the "coins" forum topic, but I know more people on here and appreciate everyone's input on my various wheelings and dealings.

I found an offer on Craigslist for a roll of morgans, $580. I offered $535. The guy came back with $560, I didn't respond, and just today he caved in to my $535 offer. It's hard for me to tie up another big chunk of cash in silver so I had a great thought; sell all my CRH 40%ers! The morgans would take up much less space, but here's my main thought. 40%ers ebb and flow with the silver value. If silver goes low enough, they won't be much over face. Morgans, however, never seem to go less than $30 bucks apiece regardless of the silver value. Lately I don't know where silver spot is headed, so this may be a good hedge against risk.

I am bringing a magnet as well as an example of a morgan to make sure I don't get fakes. Any other suggestions or things to look out for?

HH
SFB

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably do some sound checks with the morgans too. Hopefully your environment is quiet enough. "Ting" your Morgan on your fingertip, then "ting" the others, make sure they sound right.

Maybe mark your example Morgan with a little sticker before you get there so it's easy to distinguish as yours.

The Jersey DEvil

Nov 29, 2009
Tri state area, USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500, Fisher CZ5, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Cibola, Garret Grand Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't call yourself SilverForBrains for nothing because you are using your head, especially with an investment frame of mind. It is always best to have more pure silver & like you said...Morgans will always hold their value. And with silver being low now is the time to buy some. Good suggestion & good thinking my man. Good luck in yur quest for silver investing\hoarding.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I listed 5 rolls of 40% on Craigslist, at about 80% of melt value. I had one call, period. This guy hemmed and hawed about the price, and made 5 phone calls over 2 weeks time, he finally ended up buying them.

Oddly enough, I sold my last batch to a dealer 30 miles from home, who paid about 88% of melt.

rex

Apr 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am going to sell my 40% halfs for silver dollars or generic 1 oz. silver rounds. there is a dealer in my area who has a good reputation. good luck.

tkessler77

Mar 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought some morgans for $13 in las vegas about 5years ago when silver was $13/oz. Mostly 1921.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread