Want to see inside a brinks coin counting center?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for posting, very neat to see inside Brinks! I was keeping my fingers crossed hoping they would talk about silver

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To whoever made that thread asking how many boxes there are on a pallet:

Well, from that video you can deduce how many boxes of quarters there are on a pallet. Perhaps you could extrapolate that information to dimes and halves.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
From the Brinks part of the video it does not look like they have time to cull silver. Just a big assembly line.

At the end of the video it shows my friend Marvin's Museum. If your are ever in South East Michigan it is worth a visit. Marvin's Marvelous Mechanical Museum

Marvin said he sometimes comes across silver coins as he restores the machines.

Dad and Tanner

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love Modern Marvels, a treasure trove of information, I watch them everytime they are on, even the repeats!

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just some analytical thought...if this place boxes all these coins...which come from a Coinstar...which rejects all silver...you have your skunk boxes due to Coinstar.

jack584

May 29, 2011
Just some analytical thought...if this place boxes all these coins...which come from a Coinstar...which rejects all silver...you have your skunk boxes due to Coinstar.

Thats exactly why I don't do brinks boxes. Haven't found 1 silver dime in a brinks box. Preety sure my brinks banks get their coins from a facility that processes coinstars, so I dump there and pick up at garda banks.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
33:46, you can see a Canadian loonie in the coin jar he had, which was clearly filled with American coins.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
37:43 large dollars going back to the federal reserve?

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe the answer would be the same for number of boxes of halves on a pallet. $40,000/ $500 per box = 80 boxes. I believe this is correct because halves and quarter boxes are in the same face amount per box. It is just a different number of coins per box. 2,000 quarters per box and 1,000 halves per box. I am guessing 2 clad quaters weigh the same as 1 clad half.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
At about 36:20 listen to. "Holes eliminate anything bigger or smaller than american coins." What happens to those "eliminated" coins? they are NOT COUNTED. My point has been for quite some time that they DO take coins out of the process and they are not counted. This shows it DOES happen. Coins are eliminated and taken OUT of the cycle, because they do not meet tests to be standard coins.

However, this story is from 2008. It was in 2011 that they TOLD me that the NEW machine in PHOENIX will ALSO separate by alloy. So if it doesn't meet the clad alloy that is expected for that coin, it is "eliminated". JUST LIKE it shows at 36:20. Eliminated as not a valid coin.

My issue is that they are NOT "culling silver", and yet the silver coins ARE eliminated anyway. They are rejected (Eliminated as they call it) because they are not matching the expected alloy composition of coins, and therefore they ARE in reality taking the silver out. This takes out the foriegn coins that are the right size and don't get taken out in that first step, and also silver coins. This shows THEY DO ELIMINATE COINS from the process and kick them out to a reject side.

Therefore, My point is still valid. I know no one wants to believe me, and I'm getitng tired of saying it and being called a fool. But this video SHOWS that they DID "eliminate" certain coins. AT BRINKS, not at coinstar. And in Phoenix they bought a new machine for the center in 2011 that eliminates coins based on alloy as well as size. That is why I stopped getting large one penny coins in with my halves. A nd half Balboa coins. AND silver halves in their boxes. Why is it so hard to believe that the new machine in Phoenix has that ability? Ask others that work boxes in Phoenix. Loose rolls produce. boxes from Brinks do NOT. the asnwer lies between the two steps, and this SHOWS that discrimination and elimination HAPPENS. And on the new machine for halves, it happens here based on alloy. End of story!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread