Amazingly Lucky Gas Station Score!

Kamyu

Oct 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all,

So the other week I was heading out of town on vacation. I was struggling to get out of town on time and of course I had forgotten to get gas the previous day. So on my way out of town, I stopped to get gas. Went in to pay and there was a couple in front of me in line. While I was waiting, I heard the sound. And saw the cashier dump something into the drawer that went 'THUNK'. So I get up to the cashier and pay for my gas. While the drawer is open, I spy the drawer and what do I see? A 1940 Quarter staring right at me!. So I ask, "Can I get that quarter?". She goes, the old ones? And I say, yes, the old ones not knowing there were even more! So she proceeds to pick all the old ones out of the drawer and gives them to me as part of my change. She didn't care about them apparently.

The funny part of the this is the people ahead of me, used them to buy cigarettes. They were young 20's I think. The girl even made the comment that she knew the exact amount her cigarettes cost.

So in the end, my struggle to get out of town on time paid off. Had I been earlier or later, I probably would not have scored the biggest gas station find I've ever found.

Gas Station Score (5 Quarters, Pic Below):headbang::
1 - 1940 Quarter
1 - 1941 Quarter
1 - 1945 Quarter
1 - 1945D Quarter
1 - 1947D Quarter

Attachments

• quarter.jpeg
    quarter.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 102
Upvote 0

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad I don't smoke anymore that is too much to pay for them.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Great find, shows what a little silver experience can get you, by knowing that distinctive sound. That was an amazingly expensive pack of smokes - $25+ worth of silver, and I'm guessing about $7 more fiat dollars. I knew hyperinflation would set in eventually, but these guys are way ahead of the curve by paying nearly $40 for some smokes.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife works in the accounting office at WalMart. She has gotten probably 100 Walking Liberty half dollars, maybe 200 silver dimes, and probably 100 other various silver coins. Not to mention all the old paper money and old nickels she has gotten out of there. They are allowed to purchase the old money from there. It's amazing what people will use for currency when they are strapped for cash.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet Score. Gotta love finding silver in random places. I'm impressed that you were able to notice the sound of silver in a gas station. I usually try to take a peek in any cash register whenever I'm at a store but usually I cannot determine if any quarters or dimes are silver. I guess I'll get better at it with time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread